New Disney Ships: News, Rumors, Speculation.....and Names!

UPDATED PAGE ONE to include Disney Charm, Disney Gracy and my new guess Disney Bliss.

Where does "Gracy" come from?

I would be very surprised if they went with Bliss so soon after Norwegian launches ITS Bliss. Always possible, but it would be very surprising I think.

I would be very surprised if they went with Bliss so soon after Norwegian launches ITS Bliss. Always possible, but it would be very surprising I think.

The carnival dream was christened like 16-17 months before the Disney Dream.

Every time we go over to IKEA and see her sitting there, it breaks my heart that no one restored this as a floating hotel or even restaurant. The potential is there, but no one is showing interest. She's got such an amazing history!
It's really a shame and it blows my mind that it's been there for over 20 years and nothing has happened yet. A restaurant/hotel would be a fabulous idea.

Get ready for that winning streak to come to an end tomorrow. The rivalry is back!

Is this where Mudd Island used to be?

Mud Island is still there. It's just waiting to realize it's full potential. It could be the Tivoli Gardens of Mid America

The River Museum needs a complete redo. It needs a Soarin' ride of attraction that flies one completely down the Mississippi. Smell the brewery while flying over a Cards game, the BBQ while flying over the World Championship BBQ along the River in Memphis and pee and puke while zooming over the French Quarter during Mardi Gras.

The Amp needs a bit of updating.

The River Walk (scale model of the Mississippi) needs an overhaul to bring it up to date.
mud-island.jpg

The Memphis Zoo needs to build a new Aquarium on the Island. (There's a 200 million dollar aquarium idea actually being kicked around)

The north end of the Island could host amusement rides like Tivoli. All themed is 1800's ornate ironwork. Ride examples would be a ferris wheel, star flyer, a couple of coasters and a small collection of flats, just like Tivoli. In fact, I would build the flats one on top of the other to maximize space, One that doesn't need a high roof (bumper cars, Himalaya) with swings/dumbo on top.

The problem with the Island is that it is city owned and inherits all of it's issues. I'd love for the Landry's guy (Kemah Boardwalk, Galveston Pleasure Pier) get a hold of it.

I’m not as familiar with the project as waywardMemphian but from my memory of the area this is just south of mud island where the paddle wheel tourist boats dock.

Beale Street Landing is at the foot of Beale Street on the main bank ( I share my thoughts on Mud Island in the previous post)
It was built and ran way over budget during the recession when their was an actually complete lack of river cruising) It can handle any current Riverboat that can call on Memphis. When Viking first announced their plans, they indicated they would dock two boats at a time. Memphis said they could easily expand and handle that. The complex has a resataurant and a rather large inside space, there's a playground and water play features as well. The little excursion boats are still up the bank a bit. Otherwise, that boat could be longer and a wider for a Disney boat and it not effect the draft at all. It's tiny compared to a 4 wide, six deep barge and tug. I figure Disney could get a boat to near 700 passenger for the Lower Mississippi, I figure the pricing would be Alaska and Europe type Disney levels.

Here are some images, the last pictures was some of us playing around when it was under construction saying that it needed a giant wheel. Like I said, the Island needs that and Star Flyer(think I-360 Eye in Orlando) The high rise was an actual rendering of the proposed One Beale project. That's still actually moving forward but a little bit blander on the design side.
Beale-Street-Landing-American-Queen.jpg
Beale-Street-Landing-Splash-Park.jpg
Mound_Catfish.jpg
fc250246dae3084008e86f60b464bb92.jpg

tumblr_my88o8yS8x1sgqhr1o1_500.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks. I used to love that place until they just abandoned it (and the Memphis Belle)

The dark days of the Slick Willy regime.

The Memphis Belle could have been a major asset. I wanted them to build a mini museum complete with a themed simulator where you would basically sit in the bomb bay while you went over Germany on a bombing run. AA'S would man the side guns and other personnel. It would be a 360 degree effect. Screens out the mock up would have the flake blasts and German and US fighters wizz by strafING the bomber and each other. The simulator would shake ro correspond to those events. It would hammer home the idea of the accomplishment and shear luck of the 25 mission aspect of the Memphis Belle. At the very least, they should have restored it and uilt a rotunda for it in the non airs idea part if Memphis International. It's undergoing restoration in Ohio. I so wish it could find it's way to the WW2 museum in New Orleans.

This was also the time where the same administration killed Liberty Land and sold off the namingrights and schematics of the Zippin Pippin for chump change. The folks running Graceland would likely have killed to rebuild that and incorporate it into their new developments but the clone sits in blanking Wisconsin, blanking Wisconsin. Disgraceful. Where the Memphis Belle sat is where I would build an enclosed, old schoolCarrousel(think Asbury Park) along with 4 to 6 other kiddie rides with a custom kiddie coaster circling it all. It would be two levels with the second host a food service venue, redemption arcade and birthday/special event rooms. All the rides on Mud Island would be themed to wonderous inventions of the late 1800's, kinda steampunk in nature

Anyhoo, back to my Disney River Cuise theorizin'. I'd look to the old side wheelers of the Great Lakes for my design inspiration and overall ship size for the lower Mississippi boats, of course the keels would be designed for the river. I'm talking most above the water line. Side wheelers are totally underrepresented in the modern age. It's all purely for show anyways
s_p8021258.jpg

Last edited:

Hey, Carnival took Magic and someone else has the Dream. Who knows. I double-checked page one -- someone suggested Grace and that is what I listed. I mistyped Gracy in my update notice. I don't ask why names are suggested, I just update ;)

Last edited:
Get ready for that winning streak to come to an end tomorrow. The rivalry is back!

Yeah, we shall see. NY is 3-1/2 games out and 5 for 5. We can hold it -- if they stay focused :thumbsup2

Last edited:
Beale Street Landing is at the foot of Beale Street on the main bank ( I share my thoughts on Mud Island in the previous post)
It was built and ran way over budget during the recession when their was an actually complete lack of river cruising) It can handle any current Riverboat that can call on Memphis. When Viking first announced their plans, they indicated they would dock two boats at a time. Memphis said they could easily expand and handle that. The complex has a resataurant and a rather large inside space, there's a playground and water play features as well. The little excursion boats are still up the bank a bit. Otherwise, that boat could be longer and a wider for a Disney boat and it not effect the draft at all. It's tiny compared to a 4 wide, six deep barge and tug. I figure Disney could get a boat to near 700 passenger for the Lower Mississippi, I figure the pricing would be Alaska and Europe type Disney levels.

Here are some images, the last pictures was some of us playing around when it was under construction saying that it needed a giant wheel. Like I said, the Island needs that and Star Flyer(think I-360 Eye in Orlando) The high rise was an actual rendering of the proposed One Beale project. That's still actually moving forward but a little bit blander on the design side.

These pictures are amazing. My in-laws lived in Memphis and while they were alive we made yearly trips there and saw so much (including Graceland). Haven't been back for more than 10 years and they have really done a lot. The zoo was our very favorite place in the 90's -- we hadn't seen anything like it at the time. But then it started to get really run down.

On the inaugural 12-night British Isles cruise, at Le Havre, France, you could do a DCL Port Adventure to Disneyland Paris, although it involved a 5-hour roundtrip transit to the Park from the Port.

That's why we chose Normandy instead. I've never been to Paris and so wanted to go, but it just seemed like too much travel to invest to spend only maybe 4 hours there.

These pictures are amazing. My in-laws lived in Memphis and while they were alive we made yearly trips there and saw so much (including Graceland). Haven't been back for more than 10 years and they have really done a lot. The zoo was our very favorite place in the 90's -- we hadn't seen anything like it at the time. But then it started to get really run down.

That's why we chose Normandy instead. I've never been to Paris and so wanted to go, but it just seemed like too much travel to invest to spend only maybe 4 hours there.

The Memphis Zoo is one of the best in the country considering it's size. They have done nothing but make it better. Having finished the Hippo area recently, it's time for a new master plan to continue it's evolution and hopefully we get a Panda birth one day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter