New Disney Ships: News, Rumors, Speculation.....and Names!

Exactly. The port itineraries are old and if you cruise Disney regularly, then it becomes stale. I have said it before and it's worth saying again -- they need to fit in more 10-11 night cruises to the Southern Caribbean, etc. There are SO many ports that Disney has not even ventured to in the Caribbean that other lines to on a regular basis. Here's hoping. And my number one vote -- that Disney eventually goes to Cuba -- but it would have to be the Wonder or the Magic as the other ships (right now) are too big. ::yes::

I've said that several times. even talked to someone from executive services about it. I mentioned that the itins that DCL uses were causing people to jump ship( this was when the Dream came out) I mentioned to her that out of 10 pages on a forum with about 100 actual I am not staying with Disney roughly half were leaving DCL for other lines because of the itins. The thread even said leaving Disney. She told me that DCL monitors the forums and she mentioned several but she didnt see any and argued with me when I told her I'd send her the link.

Then someone asked one of the Capts at a CC reception, the response was Disney couldnt do southern with out leaving from San Juan.

So riddle me this. How does Carnival, Princess, and Royal, all manage to do southern from Miami in 8 days or less?(some 10s and 11s) To some extent, they were handcuffed by a lack of ships. But, they had plenty of opportunities to try different itins, but dropped the ball big time.

I've said that several times. even talked to someone from executive services about it. I mentioned that the itins that DCL uses were causing people to jump ship( this was when the Dream came out) I mentioned to her that out of 10 pages on a forum with about 100 actual I am not staying with Disney roughly half were leaving DCL for other lines because of the itins. The thread even said leaving Disney. She told me that DCL monitors the forums and she mentioned several but she didnt see any and argued with me when I told her I'd send her the link.

Then someone asked one of the Capts at a CC reception, the response was Disney couldnt do southern with out leaving from San Juan.

So riddle me this. How does Carnival, Princess, and Royal, all manage to do southern from Miami in 8 days or less?(some 10s and 11s) To some extent, they were handcuffed by a lack of ships. But, they had plenty of opportunities to try different itins, but dropped the ball big time.

My theory: they don’t care about repeat guests. They believe there is a never ending supply of families with young kids who have either never cruised before or think Disney is the only cruise line for families.

My theory: they don’t care about repeat guests. They believe there is a never ending supply of families with young kids who have either never cruised before or think Disney is the only cruise line for families.
Bingo! that is exactly what Disney cares about, why do you think they don't care how high there prices go.

This is no different than how they operate the parks. The stuff works with kids, esp. young kids. Before Marvel came along, there was a clear segmentation in the market - where Disney operated, where Universal was, etc.

If you are an adult couple - no kids in tow - you are 'expected' to move on. This isn't a product for you - there are plenty of cruise lines that suit better. For DCL, you hog space by claiming a cabin for just the two of you. You know, both Carnival and RCL have an average cabin occupancy of just over 2 guests per cabin. For DCL, it's more than 3 - and that means almost 50% more revenue from a cabin with a family.

The graduation process goes like this. Get a young family to visit the parks. Once family income grows, have them try cruising out of PC. Tease with Bahamas and then bring on the Caribbeans. Once the kids are older and/or family income has climbed, Alaska and Europe enter the frame.

The real spendy repeats - the loyal adults - aren't interested in another version of the Caribbeans. Just look at how slowly the existing South Caribbeans itineraries sell - even the longer one in the summer. They want new places entirely. See how Hawaii sold. How Iceland sold. How Greece sold.

I see tons of young couples, older couples, without kids on DCL and at WDW. Disney caters to all segments and of course wants repeat guests as they are cheaper to market to anyway. And they know they can’t fill every stateroom with a family, which is why they market to adults as well.

I wouldnt say not caring. What I think part of it is, DCL has been burned on 10s before with the Magic, but also a complete lack of imagination by corporate. Theres really no reason what so ever, that DCL could have done 10s from PC while the Magic or Wonder was homeless. They could have done different itins when the Magic and Wonder were in Miami. Theres also no reason other then monetary why they cant do double dips in any other months besides the summer to CC. Someone in 210 is a sleep at the helm

I wouldnt say not caring. What I think part of it is, DCL has been burned on 10s before with the Magic, but also a complete lack of imagination by corporate. Theres really no reason what so ever, that DCL could have done 10s from PC while the Magic or Wonder was homeless. They could have done different itins when the Magic and Wonder were in Miami. Theres also no reason other then monetary why they cant do double dips in any other months besides the summer to CC. Someone in 210 is a sleep at the helm
Thats why they could possibly do 8 night eastern Caribbeans as well as a 6 night and just try some caribbean itns w/o CC

The issue with 10s isn't a lack of imagination it basic market research. The sweet spot for most vacations is no longer than 9 days (One week off with the two weekends bookending it). For a cruise , that means you're limited to about 8 days (because everyone flies in the day before ... right?). Until the second cruise terminal (10) comes online at PC those don't even work because terminal 8 is already occupied on Sat / Sun. Why do you think a second terminal is part of the new PC contract?

Trust me... if the mouse can figure how to suck more money out of your wallet, he will.

I see tons of young couples, older couples, without kids on DCL and at WDW. Disney caters to all segments and of course wants repeat guests as they are cheaper to market to anyway. And they know they can’t fill every stateroom with a family, which is why they market to adults as well.
Not sure which adults they market to, because we're Platinum on Disney and have never received a single marketing piece encouraging us to sail with them again. They lost our business partially because they demonstrated how little they cared about repeat customers.

The issue with 10s isn't a lack of imagination it basic market research. The sweet spot for most vacations is no longer than 9 days (One week off with the two weekends bookending it). For a cruise , that means you're limited to about 8 days (because everyone flies in the day before ... right?). Until the second cruise terminal (10) comes online at PC those don't even work because terminal 8 is already occupied on Sat / Sun. Why do you think a second terminal is part of the new PC contract?

Trust me... if the mouse can figure how to suck more money out of your wallet, he will.

Disney has done 1 off cruises before leaving on a traditional 3/4 day. The 5s for example, theyll do 2 5s and a 4 or some combination and it brings them back on the starting day. The canal trips are 2 week trips and they fill up pretty quick. Princess does 10s and 11s out of FtL regularly, with Carnival and RCCL doing the same out of Miami.

Point is DCL has had plenty of opportunities to try even different itins, either from PC or Miami but never did. They are always several years behind the other lines before they even look at something.

@truck1 BY my count, Princess has 17 ships, Carnival has 26 ships and RCCL has 26 ships. They can take a risk on an itinerary. Disney isn't risking a quarter of their fleet to do a one off.

Beyond that DCL sells out almost every cruise. They don't need to take a risk on an itinerary

@truck1 BY my count, Princess has 17 ships, Carnival has 26 ships and RCCL has 26 ships. They can take a risk on an itinerary. Disney isn't risking a quarter of their fleet to do a one off.

Beyond that DCL sells out almost every cruise. They don't need to take a risk on an itinerary

There doing it now. The Fantasy is now going places they havent been or havent been in a while. Shes doing several 1 off southerns. Shes been down to the ABC islands. DCL has had 3 ships in PC several times doing 2nd 3/4s. They could have very easily mixed up ports as something different and to gauge interest at that time. They did it the first time around with Galveston. They tried and cut ties to the port early. Didnt work out for them. They went back and now it's somewhat working. They signed an agreement with New Orleans. That's new. They still only have 4 ships. Each year they change up the European cruises and departure ports for the Magic. That's pretty much new every year. Theres no reason they couldnt have tried something in the Carribean except being short sighted.

The Key is that when you have a ship that is basically doing keep busy cruises for 2 months, in between Europe and Miami, that was the time to try something. Not sit back and wait and then do the same cruises you could by traveling 4 hours up the road. Or wait 1 more day or leave 1 day earlier. RCL and Carnival have been doing that for years out of PC when they have 3 ships.They mix up there sailings. Sorry but someone at DCL is behind the 8 ball.

Sorry, but why is this thread no longer about the new ships and related info? You all have good stuff and good opinions to share, but wouldn't it be better suited for a new thread? I'd like to see this thread get back to the fun info and rumors on the new ships. No disrespect intended.

That is such baloney -- we sailed on the Wonder for the first 10-day Caribbean cruise and it left from PC and went to Southern Caribbean. No one I know wants to fly to San Juan. Most cruise lines have a stop in San Juan, but leave from Florida (especially Miami). They just don't care to change it up in my opinion

And this, I believe, hits the nail on the head -- I think Disney has proven over the years that repeat cruisers are on the bottom of their list when they plan the obnoxiously repetitive itineraries!

However, I love the suggestions in previous posts about doing 8 or 9 night cruises. A ton of cruise lines have 8-night itineraries, even in Europe. That extra night gives one an extra port ;)

Any speculation about a change in the stateroom layouts for the newer ships?

As far as can be determined, the new ships are basically Dream class ships, with a few additions. Room count, overall size and most other major details with a few minor differences are the same. Assuming the 1 and only picture that's been circulating is correct, some cabins will be bump outs vs the straight line of cabins that the Dream class has now, and an extra deck over Palos and over the bridge. Allegedly (only because the dimensions are all over the place depending on source) they are a little.wider, a little longer and definitely heavier but the overall look and design is almost the same as the Dream class.

As far as can be determined, the new ships are basically Dream class ships, with a few additions. Room count, overall size and most other major details with a few minor differences are the same. Assuming the 1 and only picture that's been circulating is correct, some cabins will be bump outs vs the straight line of cabins that the Dream class has now, and an extra deck over Palos and over the bridge. Allegedly (only because the dimensions are all over the place depending on source) they are a little.wider, a little longer and definitely heavier but the overall look and design is almost the same as the Dream class.

I'd be surprised if room count were the same since these are bigger ships than the Dream. :confused3

I'd be surprised if room count were the same since these are bigger ships than the Dream. :confused3
Per Disneys stated dimensions, the room count is still 1250 which is the same as the Dream class. This is from the Orlando Sentinel

"While not much detail has been revealed about any of the three new ships, the line says that they will be 140,000 gross tons (which is larger than the 135,000 gross tons originally announced). That is slightly larger than the 130,000 gross tons of Dream and Fantasy, but will have the same number of staterooms: 1,250."

Honestly I've seen the dimensions all over the place regarding their physical size. The weight difference I can see in the LNG plants, the bump outs and the added deck above Palos and the bridge. But as far as length and width I've seen it where the length and width are the same, and also where theres a deviation, where the new ships are about 10 feet longer and about the same wider. Until DCL comes out with her full specs, I'm taking some swags.

Per Disneys stated dimensions, the room count is still 1250 which is the same as the Dream class. This is from the Orlando Sentinel

"While not much detail has been revealed about any of the three new ships, the line says that they will be 140,000 gross tons (which is larger than the 135,000 gross tons originally announced). That is slightly larger than the 130,000 gross tons of Dream and Fantasy, but will have the same number of staterooms: 1,250."

Honestly I've seen the dimensions all over the place regarding their physical size. The weight difference I can see in the LNG plants, the bump outs and the added deck above Palos and the bridge. But as far as length and width I've seen it where the length and width are the same, and also where theres a deviation, where the new ships are about 10 feet longer and about the same wider. Until DCL comes out with her full specs, I'm taking some swags.

I realize this is like the Disney Bus Driver but on my recent cruise I was told on the ship tour that the new ships will have the same number of passengers as the Dream class ships but larger public spaces. I'm assuming that means larger outdoor spaces as well since many people often complain about small pool sizes. That would mean the size and dimensions of the rooms would stay about the same.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter