New Disney Ships: News, Rumors, Speculation.....and Names!

A (possibly interesting) addition to your post, the internal email structure refers to the ships by 3 letters (MAJ,WON,DRM,FSY).

I have added this interesting fact on page one.

Am I the only one wondering about this?

WON - Wonder. Makes sense
DRM - Dream. Makes sense
FSY - Fantasy. Kinda makes sense.
MAJ - Magic. There is no J in Magic!

If you say it out loud it makes more sense. MAG would be pronounced like "magazine". MAJ would be pronounced like Magic.

I assume for the Magic, they use J to get the right 'g' sound. MAG promotes the hard G sound, like magazine. While MAJ is the start of the sound for magic.

I'm sure that may have been their thinking but it still makes zero sense in this context. It is being used for written communication where pronunciation is not an issue. None of the other abbreviations are reliant on pronunciation. If someone has to communicate the abbreviation verbally, they would have to spell them out anyway.

I'm sure that may have been their thinking but it still makes zero sense in this context. It is being used for written communication where pronunciation is not an issue. None of the other abbreviations are reliant on pronunciation. If someone has to communicate the abbreviation verbally, they would have to spell them out anyway.

Yes, but your brain still pronounces it before your mouth would. Pronunciation still matters for comprehension.

Yes, but your brain still pronounces it before your mouth would. Pronunciation still matters for comprehension.

Pronunciation matters for comprehension if the parties don't know the abbreviations. If they are smart, they don't use the abbreviation with parties who are not familiar with them. If you are familiar with the abbreviation, pronunciation is irrelevant. I get the possible reasoning, I'm just saying it makes no sense.

Pronunciation matters for comprehension if the parties don't know the abbreviations. If they are smart, they don't use the abbreviation with parties who are not familiar with them. If you are familiar with the abbreviation, pronunciation is irrelevant. I get the possible reasoning, I'm just saying it makes no sense.

It's ok. We can agree to disagree.

To you, but to a lot of us it does. There is no right or wrong, we’re dealing with opinions not facts.

So what do we think the chances are we'll get names at D23 next week? As hopeful as I am, it still seems a little too far out.

A (possibly interesting) addition to your post, the internal email structure refers to the ships by 3 letters (MAJ,WON,DRM,FSY).

I mentioned something similar in that thread and for the life of me I cant remember where it was. I said DM1 or something to that effect. We should know something in the next 2 weeks as D23 is the 23rd, and that's where a lot of big announcements come from.

So what do we think the chances are we'll get names at D23 next week? As hopeful as I am, it still seems a little too far out.
I went back a few weeks ago to look at announcement dates for the proceeding ships. The Dream class names were announced at a stockholders meeting, about 2 weeks or so after the steel cutting. This was in March of 09. The Dream sailed in 2011. With that said, D23 was still 5 or 6 months away that year. With D23 being roughly 2 months before steel cutting this time, it's a 50/50 bet as to what info they release. I'm about 75% sure theyll say something, but what is anyones guess. Its still possible they keep things under wraps until the actual time frame it occurs in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!