New Disney Ships: News, Rumors, Speculation.....and Names!

Admit straight out that I haven't read all 63 pages of this thread, although what I have read seems to mainly be about names. I was hoping the routes would be more varied with more ships to fill.

Last edited:
Admit straight out that I haven't read all 63 pages of this thread, although what I have read seems to mainly be about names. I was hoping the routes would be more varied with more ships to fill.

The new ships will almost certainly do the bread & butter itineraries for the first few years. The older ships will be freed up to an extent if DCL wants to try new things but they haven't been terribly adventurous on that. Maybe they will branch out. Only time will tell.

Like other said I'm not holding my breath on new routes. As it stands now contracually, 2 of the new ships are going to PC with a ship to be named later. Dream most likely going to Mia doing the same 3s and 4s. 2nd large ship to join her later in the contract. Possibly Fantasy. Magic class is tied to Galveston,Alaska and Port Orleans. The 3rd new ship has yet to be named at a home but possibly Miami. the 3rd ship at PC and the 2nd in Mia are temp ships so it's possible 1 will summer in Mia, then winter in PC. Id have to go back and look but I believe that eventually the 2nd ship becomes permanant.

As far as routes go, so far it looks like business as usual for DCL. However recent itins may show DCL has something up there sleeves. Time will tell.

Like other said I'm not holding my breath on new routes. As it stands now contracually, 2 of the new ships are going to PC with a ship to be named later. Dream most likely going to Mia doing the same 3s and 4s. 2nd large ship to join her later in the contract. Possibly Fantasy. Magic class is tied to Galveston,Alaska and Port Orleans. The 3rd new ship has yet to be named at a home but possibly Miami. the 3rd ship at PC and the 2nd in Mia are temp ships so it's possible 1 will summer in Mia, then winter in PC. Id have to go back and look but I believe that eventually the 2nd ship becomes permanant.

As far as routes go, so far it looks like business as usual for DCL. However recent itins may show DCL has something up there sleeves. Time will tell.

I agree, I'm not real hopeful that the first couple of years the ships come out they will be adding much new -- but one can hope. I think they're going to be locked into ports in Florida for a while, maybe one moving to the West coast permanently, but who knows. It would be awesome if they could station one in NYC or New Jersey for longer periods to do some routes during the summer months and Fall.

I went back a few weeks ago to look at announcement dates for the proceeding ships. The Dream class names were announced at a stockholders meeting, about 2 weeks or so after the steel cutting. This was in March of 09. The Dream sailed in 2011. With that said, D23 was still 5 or 6 months away that year. With D23 being roughly 2 months before steel cutting this time, it's a 50/50 bet as to what info they release. I'm about 75% sure theyll say something, but what is anyones guess. Its still possible they keep things under wraps until the actual time frame it occurs in.

DCL will talk the following items if I had to guess:
Disney Wonder Dry Docks and the upgrades to be seen. I would imagine talk of on demand films, update to concierge area, and most importantly, work in progress for a new stare show to replace Frozen.
Lighthouse Point, I would expect to see some early renderings of what the development will look like, including realistc flyovers with animated buildings.
New Ships: Rehash of old stuff, emphasis on LNG and clean burning, maybe even a mention of some of the awards. I would hope they provide when the first cutting ceremony is at the construction yard and who/what will be the atrium statue. I would also take the name of the ship. If they were feeling generous, I would like to know what their "Big Weenie is". That is what is the WOW factor on board. No one is going to be excited for a slightly modified Fantasy.

Can't wait to update page one with whatever news comes out of those meetings!

I agree, I'm not real hopeful that the first couple of years the ships come out they will be adding much new -- but one can hope. I think they're going to be locked into ports in Florida for a while, maybe one moving to the West coast permanently, but who knows. It would be awesome if they could station one in NYC or New Jersey for longer periods to do some routes during the summer months and Fall.

1 can hope. I'm hoping with the sudden inclusion of southerns that DCL may ne ready to mix things up a bit. But well see.

PC is a no brainers. It's a win win for the port and DCL. Short of moving the Parks to Brevard and the port you can't get closer. 3 ships there makes perfect sense. All the other lines have been doing it for a while. Miami is a good logical step but I disagree with the 3s and 4s. Should be doing different 7s 8s and 10s from there.
NYC would be a logical place but the problem is that both Galveston and NOLA call for Magic class size ships. So that does 2 things. 1 it precludes DCL from leaving a ship on the west coast permanently and also leaving 1 in NYC year round. Now, the 64,000 question becomes the 3rd ship in PC and 2nd ship in Mia, which is probably the same ship, what is it going to be doing before the various contracts take effect and lock down ships.

DCL will talk the following items if I had to guess:
Disney Wonder Dry Docks and the upgrades to be seen. I would imagine talk of on demand films, update to concierge area, and most importantly, work in progress for a new stare show to replace Frozen.
Lighthouse Point, I would expect to see some early renderings of what the development will look like, including realistc flyovers with animated buildings.
New Ships: Rehash of old stuff, emphasis on LNG and clean burning, maybe even a mention of some of the awards. I would hope they provide when the first cutting ceremony is at the construction yard and who/what will be the atrium statue. I would also take the name of the ship. If they were feeling generous, I would like to know what their "Big Weenie is". That is what is the WOW factor on board. No one is going to be excited for a slightly modified Fantasy.
Could be. And they also could be suspiciously quiet if they really want a wow factor from a pr point of view. Kinda wait until it's time and big announcement they dont have to share with the Parks and resorts.

Papenburg? Never realized, the shipyard is only a 2 hours drive away from my home.
Almost makes you want to go over there, ring the doorbell and ask if you can have a look ;-)

Papenburg? Never realized, the shipyard is only a 2 hours drive away from my home.
Almost makes you want to go over there, ring the doorbell and ask if you can have a look ;-)
You can. Meyer Werft has a visitor center and does tours of the yard. You can walk a glass enclosed catwalk and look down on the ships being built.There was a section dedicated to Disney. Disney actually had a special tour set up when the Dream class was bring built. If you were on the Magic in the med, one of the stops, they would fly you to the yard, give you a tour then fly you back to the ship. I'd assume they may do something similar again.

Meyer Werft Tours

You can. Meyer Werft has a visitor center and does tours of the yard. You can walk a glass enclosed catwalk and look down on the ships being built.There was a section dedicated to Disney. Disney actually had a special tour set up when the Dream class was bring built. If you were on the Magic in the med, one of the stops, they would fly you to the yard, give you a tour then fly you back to the ship. I'd assume they may do something similar again.

Meyer Werft Tours

Come on Karin, take one for the team :worship: :)

I’m really hoping there will be an update at D23. I can’t believe we have been discussing this for nearly three years now and don’t have any further information.

The Fantasy and Dream names were announced so far in advance. Shows how much has changed in the last 8/9/10 years!

I’m really hoping there will be an update at D23. I can’t believe we have been discussing this for nearly three years now and don’t have any further information.

The Fantasy and Dream names were announced so far in advance. Shows how much has changed in the last 8/9/10 years!

I looked it up. The Dream class was announced 2 weeks after the steel cutting in a quarterly earnings.comference call. Which was several months before D23 if I recall. With D23 being so close to the steel cutting now, it's possible they will name drop early.

I'm really hoping Andrea's goes to Papenburg again and documents the build like he did last time.

I have to believe that all three names were decided long ago. I have no first-hand knowledge, of course, but I feel certain that this is the kind of information they hold back on releasing until they need it. For example, they always seem to release "good" news as an offset after releasing "bad" news, like a price hike or a project delay. Or maybe they keep it in their hip pocket for when there is a dry spell of worthwhile news in general.

I have to believe that all three names were decided long ago. I have no first-hand knowledge, of course, but I feel certain that this is the kind of information they hold back on releasing until they need it. For example, they always seem to release "good" news as an offset after releasing "bad" news, like a price hike or a project delay. Or maybe they keep it in their hip pocket for when there is a dry spell of worthwhile news in general.

I believe there is also a nautical superstition about not naming a ship before the steel cutting or something (or at least revealing it). It's bad luck.

While we are not close to Papenburg here in Germany (Nuremberg is in the south east, Papenburg in the north west), we have already talked about making a trip there while the ship is being built. I am sure that there will be a number of DISers who will visit and report back!

While we are not close to Papenburg here in Germany (Nuremberg is in the south east, Papenburg in the north west), we have already talked about making a trip there while the ship is being built. I am sure that there will be a number of DISers who will visit and report back!
I would say the steel cutting is soon as the Encore has left the covered docks, the blocks are being put together on the Iona and they are probably close to moving pieces of the Odyssey into the covered docks. The steel cutting of the next Aida ship is probably gonna occur in the next 5 weeks. So that would put the steel cutting for Triton #1 for Disney close to end October mid November.

I would say the steel cutting is soon as the Encore has left the covered docks, the blocks are being put together on the Iona and they are probably close to moving pieces of the Odyssey into the covered docks. The steel cutting of the next Aida ship is probably gonna occur in the next 5 weeks. So that would put the steel cutting for Triton #1 for Disney close to end October mid November.
Steel cutting for Aida already occurred.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter