New Disney Ships: News, Rumors, Speculation.....and Names!

I’m curious what you do, but know it’s not polite to ask so I won’t. (Sort of)
I would guess an educator of sorts :)
Why is it impolite to ask a person's profession?

@truck1 inquiring minds want to know: are you a super secret spy whose cover is a DCL fan that teaches elementary kids?

I really hope you and I end up cruising on the same ship sometime, I could listen to you talk ships forever. Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge with us and presenting it in such a great manner.
I really hope you and I end up cruising on the same ship sometime, I could listen to you talk ships forever. Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge with us and presenting it in such a great manner.
Absolutely!! I would sit in the theater on the ship for a lecture series or record a Ted-Talk! I would be so doe-eyed with a smile from fascination, I’d scare the heck out of truck1! Man truck1 you are amazing at explaining things to a gal that only understands “the engine light is on - car must be broken” kinda gal. If you don’t teach or write a book, I hope your talent goes to good use. I’m curious what you do, but know it’s not polite to ask so I won’t. (Sort of)

@truck1 inquiring minds want to know: are you a super secret spy whose cover is a DCL fan that teaches elementary kids?
I’m guessing a fireman or paramedic - active or retired.

I'm flattered. Our plan at the moment is to be on the Wishes maiden so we may be able to work something out.

I'll explain my background as soon as I get 5 minutes this week and I do apologize. Besides everything else going on, I have a family emergency to take care of tomorrow morn, and my daughter birthday is this week., so to say I'm busy would be an understatement.

But Auntlymne, yes I'm a semi retired firefighter.

Sorry, it took a little longer then expected. But here it is. Its a little long. And if anyone happens to catch me on a ship, I have no problem talking ship.

Now that I have a few minutes, several have asked what my background is and how do I know what I know. (I do apologize. Between having a toddler at home, being semi retired and my dad that had quadruple bypass, and forgot to tell me all of the details that led up to it, Ive had my hands full. )
A lot of what I know is doing some detective work and putting the pieces together. Its like putting a puzzle together, from the pieces with out seeing what the finished product should look like. In some cases, Ive been lucky enough to ask someone that actually would know the answer, and no, its not a cabin steward, or waiter. Usually a ships officer, like Capt Henry, who explained to me the departure of the shape between the Dream class and the Magic class. It had to do with the size parameters, that DCL imposed on MWs marine architechs, and that’s what they came up with. Im also getting ready to do my 100ton Capt lic which is a few steps below that the cruise line capts have.
In a nut shell, I was born and raised in NYC on Jamaica Bay. Ive lived on the water all my life until I was 22 when I moved to Fl. I was basically raised on a boat as my grandparents and parents had boats long before I was born, and up until we moved at different times to Fl. I actually had a boat to commute to work in a boat yard before I had a car. A lot of my navigation and operating knowledge comes from that time. My parents sent me to a Coast Guard Auxiliary class that taught me rules of the road, navigation, handling stuff like that. That translates over to what goes on on the bridge of any ship at sea. Doesn’t matter if your in a 20 CC or the Oasis of the Seas, the channel markers, rules of the road and basic chart navigation, are all the same.
After I moved to Fl, I went to work for Disney for a while, ( its almost a rite of passage) and met a lot of interesting people. and learned just how ponderously Disney moves. Nothing gets done without multiple departments involved. Lawyers usually being at the top of the list, for better or for worse.I was working for Disney when the Magic and Wonder were delivered, and was on both ships their inaugural years. At that time, there used to be a walkway over the bridge, where the gym is now. At certain times while the ship was in port, you could do a tour of the bridge and there was always officers there to answer questions. It was there, that one officer mentioned, and its held true to this day, with 1 notable exception, that the Magic has and will be the first ship to try out new itineraries. Theres several reasons behind it. Like size, its paid off, and its small enough to go just about any where. The 1 exception being Alaska, which went to the Wonder. I was in busses at the time, as a relief lead, and Super Bus Driver, and 1 of our dispatchers sisters was an officer on the Wonder. So some of us had some inside info as to what was going on. Not long after that, I was working out of TTC in busses, during the summer, roughly 2001, and was waiting on my bus to come back, talking to a friend of mine, who was dating a woman from DCL and he was the one that showed me the DCL letter, saying that Disney had signed a MOU to build 2 new ships. It hadn’t made the press yet, and a few months later was 911, when about 90% of WDW closed down. We sailed a few times in that time frame and the crew was basically begging us to come back and bring friends. The 2 new ships were quietly shelved.
Eventually I left Disney and sent to work for a Fire department not far from Disney. Ended my career there about 3 years ago for a few different reasons, with having a newborn at the top of the list. I was a acting officer, Hazmat firefighter, and on the Special Operations Team. It was easier for me to retire early to stay home and watch our newborn daughter, then it was for my wife. I still work, but as contact EMS for the Orange County Convention Center, where Ive bumped into and gotten to talk to several DCL and WDW cast members that make decisions. At the same time I started working for the FD, I was working pt as a semi driver, for a company that bought retired items from Disney and resold them. I think I was either at the Boardwalk or Coronado, picking up furniture, when I happened to see someone walking around with a Disney Magic Drydock hat or shirt on. So, I started talking to him, and he explained that he was an electrician, and his company has multiple contracts with Disney and the ships for rehabs. He said hes always on Disney property somewhere. And a lot of time on the ships at sea. There almost always doing something onboard. In between all of this, I met my now wife, and we got engaged on the Wonder, in 09, and married on the Magic in 10. And yes I miss the secret aft balcony that’s no longer there.( Our cruise group at the time nicknamed us Cinderella and Prince Charming) Since that’s where we were married. Just a side note on how Disney sits apart from other lines. We were married on the Magic just off Cuba at sunset, first trip our of drydock. We had Walter who was a ships officer who presided over our ceremony. It was his first time, and he did a good job. Especially since people make reading my last name harder then it needs to be. That was 2010. Saw him again on Formal night on the Fantasys inaugural in 12, during a champagne toast in the atrium. He remembered us and we chatted with him for a little bit. We were back on the Fantasy in 13, and asked I think it was Christian the cruise director if he was on the ship so we could say hi. He thought about it, and said I think hes on the Wonder in Alaska. We said ok, didn’t think much more about it. 2 days later, theres and envelope sitting on our fish extender hook. In it, is a picture of Walter, in front of Wavebands on the Wonder, holding a sign saying Happy Anniversary to us. Christian had emailed the CD on the Wonder, who took the pic, and emailed it back, and they sent it to our cabin.
One of the ways I know how Disney orders new ships, is the same way any business orders new stuff. While I was at the FD, I was on the specing committee for all of the new trucks that we bought, and equipment over the years. Its basically the same thing, just on a larger scale, and a LOT more money. For us, when we ordered new engines, we sat down, looked at what we had, what we needed, what we could afford, and what we were allowed by NFPA standards. Once we had the basics, I ended up writing the basic specs of 1 engine, with seating for 6, 4 airpack seats, 1250 gpm Hale pump, with 750 gallon booster tank, 30 gallon foam cell with a given foam proportioner, with room for x amount of hose, etc. We sent that to certain dealers that fit our parameters for service, and then we chose a maker, which ended up being E-One, then fine tuned our specs with the dealer. Things like light bars, types of lights, shelving anything you could think of. And every little detail on the truck. Disney, Royal, Carnival, etc all do the same thing with their new ships. They look at what they have, where they want to go, how big etc. And just like we did, the contract moves thru different phases or steps. A Letter of Understanding. Actual Contract. In the contract are performance clauses like speed, noise, fuel burn, milestone dates etc. Who pays for what and when, or who supplies what and when. Same as we did. Flash forward to the Fantasys inaugural, which my family was on, and several high level Disney execs were onboard, some doing talks. Joe Lancisero (Ive probably misspelled his name every time I mention it, sorrt Joe) did an hour talk on the building of the Dream class, which I was lucky enough to attend, and also get to ask questions at the end. He explained in detail, the process, and that there was over 100,000 drawings for the Dream class alone. Not counting the mock ups. For example, MW would build a representative cabin for each class, with the colors Disney chose, and each part of the ship. Disney would go over every so often, and say we like this, don’t like this shade,or color, or what ever, and MW would redo it. Sometimes more then once. Once DCL was happy, that particular item moved on. Its perfectionism to a new level. After his talk, he made the mistake of getting off the stage, where we could shake his hands and take pictures, etc, and answer questions. I asked him specifically where the Dream class came from, if they were the original class that was shelved in 01. His answer was the Dream class came from the best parts of the Magic class, the un built class, and some new. He also said the un built class, would have been in between the Magic and Dream class as far as size. Someone else asked if they were going to build more ships, and Bob Iger had snuck in the room unnoticed. Joe was stammering over the answer and Bob got a mic and answered no they had no plan at the time for additional ships. Each Dream class ship cost 1.2 billion and Disney wanted to make back the money first and see how everything shook out before making their next move.
In the mean time, I hate watching the news with a passion. Its always the same. Only the names and day changes for the most part. I generally read it on my phone. This way I can scroll past thngs that don’t interest me. Every once in a while, DCL will pop up in some way shape or form. Like the contracts they sign with the ports. Anyone want to know the fleet disposition? Read the online contracts. Ill give you a head start. With the possible exception of the Fantasy, all of the ships are spoken for in Fl, Texas, Alaska, and Europe. Ill have to dig out my paper work but the end goal, and the date likely will change, but 3 ships in PC, (at least 2 large including 2 of the new ships and 1 to be determined) 2 large ships in Miami, 1 Magic class in Texas, 1 in Alaska and Europe. Sorry, no Asia, or Austrailia. The Fantasy was an exception because, it turns out DCL was in talks with a Scandnavian port to send her there for a few months. The time frame would work because it would be inbetween 3 ships at PC and 2 in Miami full time. It sounds a lot like the port is similar to KW in that ships that size can enter, but only under certain conditions. With the global pandemic and CDC not wanting to even discuss cruising, that may go to a back burner. Time will tell. A lot of times Ill see a thread about my waiter told me DCL is building a ship for Asia. A lot of times Ill look for laughs.
Lighthouse point. When you look at Disneys past history, you usually get a good idea of what there plans are for the future. For a while everyone had heard rumors about a 2nd private island. No one knew where. Until LHP popped up. Originally CC was chosen because of its distance to PC. So it became the last stop for the cruises from PC. Now Disney is heavily invested in Miami and guess what. LHP is about the same distance from Miami, as CC is to PC. 2+2=4. My hunch is LHP will be the CC for Miami.
The ships themselves. How do I know so much? Some of it is Google, where Ill look for specific articles, that deal with certain things, but some of it comes from unexpected places, like an email I received about the bearings on the ships, some of it comes from reading the CG reports on issues at sea. Some from people Ive bumped into and asked the right questions. Like the engines being diesel generators, instead of direct drives like container ships. Basically the gensets make electricity which 2 big circuit breakers control. The engines them selves turn at a constant rate, and the electric drive motors, speed up or slow down to actually move the ships. Which is where I think the Fantasys issue is. Something in the starboard drive motor. I think, every time she has slowed down and missed ports, it’s the stbd side, that’s affected. You can usually see it in the wake. And yes, Ive felt it on her inaugural. Another good source for back ground info on ships in general, is cable. Theres probably dozens of shows that have talked about every facet of construction, and operation. From Build It bigger, where the host worked on the sister ship of a cruise ship being built at the same time, that he explored, to the building of the Queen Mary 2, which followed the process from paper, to first steel, to acceptance trials, to Project Xtreme, that did an episode on the Magic in drydock, to at least 2 different shows on the Magic class.

Thanks for the very informative post. One question, can DCL get the drive motor vibration problem on the Fantasy fixed or is it something that's not repairable? I ask since I like the Fantasy but that vibration is just a thorn in my side and won't cruise on her until it's fixed.

Thanks for the very informative post. One question, can DCL get the drive motor vibration problem on the Fantasy fixed or is it something that's not repairable? I ask since I like the Fantasy but that vibration is just a thorn in my side and won't cruise on her until it's fixed.

It's fixable. Im relatively certain that's why she's over there. At least 1 of the reasons.

I have one question I do not know it has already been asked and answered. But why has Disney not chosen to use azipods on there ships?
The answer hasnt been 100% clear, but Id wager a guess on reliability issues. Theres also some negative performance numbers, when they do work correctly, when compred to a traditional prop and rudder. Even after all of the "fixes" lines still continue to struggle with keeping pods under a ship for at least 5 years. It was bad enough at 1 point, that 1 maker was sued, and ended up paying a combined close to 90 million in damages to 2 different lines. The pods themselves seem to be ok, but the main culprit seems to be the thrust bearings, where the pod mounts thru the hull. 1 side almost always wears prematurely. 1 fix, was to make the bearing field replaceable, by a manufacturers tech while the ship is pier side.
Just to give some persepctive, Allure of the Seas, was delivered in late 2010. She has 3 pods. 2 have already failed, and required 2 unscheduled drydocks to repair. The latest was a failure in May of 19, that required 25 sailings to be modified, with an Oct unsheduled emergency drydock. The first was in 14. Not even a full 4 years of service.

In a nut shell, I was born and raised in NYC on Jamaica Bay.

Wow, would have never guessed that. On Jamaica Bay....does that mean Broad Channel? I'm from a little further up Cross Bay Blvd.

Wow, would have never guessed that. On Jamaica Bay....does that mean Broad Channel? I'm from a little further up Cross Bay Blvd.
Howard Beach. 160 Ave and 101st st. On the canal side.Spent many summer nights crabbing off the north end of Broad Channel.

Howard Beach. 160 Ave and 101st st. On the canal side.Spent many summer nights crabbing off the north end of Broad Channel.

Know it well. I'm from Ozone Park. My friends and I used to do some fishing off the bridge, played countless baseball games at Charles Park.

Nothing about the Wish. Disney is not saying a word about it. The Dream class is in Brest, and it may have to do with the Fantasys vibration issue. Since the Dream is her twin it would stand to reason that whatever fix they may have, they'll do to both.

I somehow just saw this. Some of my many other certificates is Fire Service instructor and Fire Inspector, that did a lot of fire prevention lectures to all ages so it just kinds of carries over.

I somehow just saw this. Some of my many other certificates is Fire Service instructor and Fire Inspector, that did a lot of fire prevention lectures to all ages so it just kinds of carries over.
Well, I hope you don't mind - and this is totally off topic - but I have a smoke detector question. My mom just got new (Costco) smoke detectors. She was told that she had to install them up high on the wall or ceiling. My mom's 80, has vertigo and can not get on a ladder, nor does she have someone who can do the work for her (I live a 3 day's drive from her). Can she leave them on the top of the fridge or counter or dresser and expect to be safe? She doesn't want to have to call an installer and then again every time the battery needs changing.

Well, I hope you don't mind - and this is totally off topic - but I have a smoke detector question. My mom just got new (Costco) smoke detectors. She was told that she had to install them up high on the wall or ceiling. My mom's 80, has vertigo and can not get on a ladder, nor does she have someone who can do the work for her (I live a 3 day's drive from her). Can she leave them on the top of the fridge or counter or dresser and expect to be safe? She doesn't want to have to call an installer and then again every time the battery needs changing.
I dont mind. Im sending a pm

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter