New Disney Ships: News, Rumors, Speculation.....and Names!

I realize this is like the Disney Bus Driver but on my recent cruise I was told on the ship tour that the new ships will have the same number of passengers as the Dream class ships but larger public spaces. I'm assuming that means larger outdoor spaces as well since many people often complain about small pool sizes. That would mean the size and dimensions of the rooms would stay about the same.

Well, larger pools and better thorofares through some areas would appease some of the complainers I guess. Just hope the rooms at least stay the same size as I know some of these other lines have really slimmed down their rooms on these bigger luxurious ships to fit more!

I realize this is like the Disney Bus Driver but on my recent cruise I was told on the ship tour that the new ships will have the same number of passengers as the Dream class ships but larger public spaces. I'm assuming that means larger outdoor spaces as well since many people often complain about small pool sizes. That would mean the size and dimensions of the rooms would stay about the same.

It's possible but like you mentioned it's from a crew member.

With that said, it's possible that some of the public spaces get rearranged for theming so to speak. I'll use animators as an example. It's possible that they redesign the interior and entrance to make it flow better or redesign Cabanas so that the elevators dont open into the closed Buffett.

@truck1 BY my count, Princess has 17 ships, Carnival has 26 ships and RCCL has 26 ships. They can take a risk on an itinerary. Disney isn't risking a quarter of their fleet to do a one off.

Beyond that DCL sells out almost every cruise. They don't need to take a risk on an itinerary
Carnival actually has 104 ships across its brands, and Royal has 56 across its brands (with 16 more on order) - so they can be pretty much anywhere anytime with any itinerary they want. Disney is selling out because they only have four ships to sell out with. It will be interesting to see how they fare once they increase the size of their fleet. My guess is that they will be forced to come more in line with their competitors as the competition elevates its offerings. We just got back from RCL's private island Coco Cay, and Castaway Cay pales in comparison.

Last edited:
Carnival actually has 104 ships across its brands, and Royal has 56 across its brands (with 16 more on order) - so they can be pretty much anywhere anytime with any itinerary they want. Disney is selling out because they only have four ships to sell out with. It will be interesting to see how they fare once they increase the size of their fleet. My guess is that they will be forced to come more in line with their competitors as the competition elevates its offerings. We just got back from RCL's private island Coco Cay, and Castaway Cay pales in comparison.

LOL they will still sell out. 8 ships does not come close to the hundreds across the board with competitors none of which are directly marketing to the family niche.

Not necessarily. RCCL and Carnival have probably disposed of more ships DCL will ever have, which is true. However,the point I was making is that DCL usually sits behind the 8 ball. They've had opportunities to try different things but utterly failed For example. The Magic floats between Europe and the US. After the Magic comes back from Europe, she usually will do a few trips from Miami or PC before either going back to Europe or moving to say NY. That's an opportunity while shes here in PC to do a 5 day mixed bag of CC, Jamaica, GC for example or a 10 day southern. Instead she does the normal 3s and 4s that the Dream does. Why? That's the perfect opportunity to try something different out.

The Wonder for the most part does the same thing from Alaska. She does her time in Alaska, comes to Fl and does the exact same thing. Either 3s and4s from PC or Miami before moving to Galveston. That's another lost opportunity. DCL has had plenty of time to try these things out, but has never looked. At a Castaway Club that question was raised as to why Disney doesnt do 10s or southern cruises. Capt Tom at the time said they cant with out San Juan. That's a cop out. Carnival and RCCL both do 7-10 day southerns from FtL and Miami. It would be nothing for DCL to do a southern out of PC or Miami when the Magic and Wonder were homeless so to speak. Having hundreds of ships means nothing if you dont put them where you passengers want to go.

Not necessarily. RCCL and Carnival have probably disposed of more ships DCL will ever have, which is true. However,the point I was making is that DCL usually sits behind the 8 ball. They've had opportunities to try different things but utterly failed For example. The Magic floats between Europe and the US. After the Magic comes back from Europe, she usually will do a few trips from Miami or PC before either going back to Europe or moving to say NY. That's an opportunity while shes here in PC to do a 5 day mixed bag of CC, Jamaica, GC for example or a 10 day southern. Instead she does the normal 3s and 4s that the Dream does. Why? That's the perfect opportunity to try something different out.

The Wonder for the most part does the same thing from Alaska. She does her time in Alaska, comes to Fl and does the exact same thing. Either 3s and4s from PC or Miami before moving to Galveston. That's another lost opportunity. DCL has had plenty of time to try these things out, but has never looked. At a Castaway Club that question was raised as to why Disney doesnt do 10s or southern cruises. Capt Tom at the time said they cant with out San Juan. That's a cop out. Carnival and RCCL both do 7-10 day southerns from FtL and Miami. It would be nothing for DCL to do a southern out of PC or Miami when the Magic and Wonder were homeless so to speak. Having hundreds of ships means nothing if you dont put them where you passengers want to go.
I Wonder if part of the reason Disney isn't offering other itineraries is that the ports would like a bit more of a commitment from Disney to visit. Thus getting breaks on port fees, berthing rights etc.

Plus isn't Disney one of the cruiselines that is paying to build up the port at Tortola? Maybe they don't want to commit to other islands when they already have a large sunk cost.

I Wonder if part of the reason Disney isn't offering other itineraries is that the ports would like a bit more of a commitment from Disney to visit. Thus getting breaks on port fees, berthing rights etc.

Plus isn't Disney one of the cruiselines that is paying to build up the port at Tortola? Maybe they don't want to commit to other islands when they already have a large sunk cost.

It's possible that DCL is using the multi ship discount program. Plus it's already in place.

As far as Disney helping Tortola it's entirely possible. Havent seen anything official but lines regularly dump cash into certain ports in their own interest. Carnival paid for a pier in Cozumel with the understanding that they get preferential berthing. Pretty sure RCCL has done the same different ports.

The thing that keeps sticking in my mind is Capt Tom's statement of we need San Juan. If DCL was committed to other ports, he could have said its farther down the road or not in the near future. That would be more plausible of an explanation. To me it's almost like someone is looking at tomorrow vs 5 years down the road. For a company that is usually out ahead of everyone else, the cruiseline seems to be doing the opposite. New ships didnt happen overnight. The Magic suddenly didnt just end her European trips, Alaska didnt tell the Wonder good bye good luck good riddance. They knew years in advance when someone went to Alaska and signed an agreement for x amount of weeks. Same thing with Europe. Its almost like someone forgot and said now what do we do with the Magic?

I don't know about Tortola but I believe Disney is one of the cruise lines paying for the dock/pier at Grand Cayman.

I don't know about Tortola but I believe Disney is one of the cruise lines paying for the dock/pier at Grand Cayman.
Yes just looked it up Havent looked to see how far they've advanced but Disney Carnival and Royal all are pitching in with Carnival basically taking the lead.

I'm kind of surprised but at the same time I'm not with the pier since theres a lot of opposition to the pier from environmental groups.

Yes just looked it up Havent looked to see how far they've advanced but Disney Carnival and Royal all are pitching in with Carnival basically taking the lead.

I'm kind of surprised but at the same time I'm not with the pier since theres a lot of opposition to the pier from environmental groups.
I understand why too. The port of miami is in hot water as a result of their dredging projects impact which was way worse than estimated. I'm not an engineer or a scientist, but the impat for the Cayman appears to potentially get sideways quick. As ships get bigger and the thrusters more powerful the analysis of the thruster plume will be quickly overcome.

LOL they will still sell out. 8 ships does not come close to the hundreds across the board with competitors none of which are directly marketing to the family niche.
You may want to take a look at what lines like Royal Caribbean are doing with their multi-billion $$ upgrades to their fleet specifically to tailor their offerings to the 8-18YO demographic. It's not by chance that RCL is putting their most "amped-up" ships like Harmony of the Seas (7-night) and Mariner of the Seas (3-4 nights) in the same ports and doing the same itineraries as Disney. It is also no coincidence that Royal chose Coco Cay as the first of its three planned private island getaways (an estimated $500 MM expansion to Coco Cay alone). They are, IMO, taking direct aim at Disney's core market, and Disney knows that the further it strays from tying its cruises to its theme parks the more risk it takes in competing for passengers.

Attachments

• DSC01634.JPG
    DSC01634.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC01641.JPG
    DSC01641.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 31
You may want to take a look at what lines like Royal Caribbean are doing with their multi-billion $$ upgrades to their fleet specifically to tailor their offerings to the 8-18YO demographic. It's not by chance that RCL is putting their most "amped-up" ships like Harmony of the Seas (7-night) and Mariner of the Seas (3-4 nights) in the same ports and doing the same itineraries as Disney. It is also no coincidence that Royal chose Coco Cay as the first of its three planned private island getaways (an estimated $500 MM expansion to Coco Cay alone). They are, IMO, taking direct aim at Disney's core market, and Disney knows that the further it strays from tying its cruises to its theme parks the more risk it takes in competing for passengers.

My children are not interested in climbing walls, water slides, or surf whatever those things are. They love the individual attention they get on DCL. Also I hate the idea of paying extra at a private island.

My children are not interested in climbing walls, water slides, or surf whatever those things are. They love the individual attention they get on DCL. Also I hate the idea of paying extra at a private island.
Then you are part of the Disney demographic. It is somewhat specious to extend your own personal preferences to the entire cruising community, however. And, btw, about 80% of the new attractions (including a really popular pirate ship water cannon/splashpad/water slide for little kids)on Coco Cay are free. We've been there twice since it opened, and had a blast all day in the pools and on the beaches without spending a dime on anything.

Attachments

• DSC01621.JPG
    DSC01621.JPG
    129.7 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC01601.JPG
    DSC01601.JPG
    100 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC01625.JPG
    DSC01625.JPG
    112.9 KB · Views: 20
Then you are part of the Disney demographic. It is somewhat specious to extend your own personal preferences to the entire cruising community, however. And, btw, about 80% of the new attractions (including a really popular pirate ship water cannon/splashpad/water slide for little kids)on Coco Cay are free. We've been there twice since it opened, and had a blast all day in the pools and on the beaches without spending a dime on anything.

I'm not reading where they claimed their own preferences were meant to speak for the cruising community at large in their statement? I don't feel like amping up the ships is taking aim at DCL specifically - its just the lines trying to compete in general for customers. If you like "Disney" then they've got you, and if you don't really care and enjoy amped ships then another line has that for you too.

I'm guessing since the newer ships supposedly will have more space dedicated to public areas they'll be doing a little plussing as well, but to what extent no one knows. Maybe they'll follow suit and put on some climbing walls or a Frozen skating rink or something if they really feel like the other cruise lines are poaching their base. Personally, I hope they come up with something more unique and don't just put out a Starwars/Marvel/other IP centric ship and call it a day.

I understand why too. The port of miami is in hot water as a result of their dredging projects impact which was way worse than estimated. I'm not an engineer or a scientist, but the impat for the Cayman appears to potentially get sideways quick. As ships get bigger and the thrusters more powerful the analysis of the thruster plume will be quickly overcome.

I'm not an engineer well at least not that type ;) or scientist either but I can see both sides of the equation. I know in the past Carnival had issues with the tender companies due to liability insurance and threatened to pull out over it or something to that effect, and also the missed revenue when tenders cant safely move between the ships. So I can see where a pier would be beneficial. On the flip side of that as a divers, I can see where building a pier would destroy a lot of the coral and natural habitats of the local sealife. As it stands now, when a ship comes in and drops an anchor, the chain ends up on the reef and the constant movement of the ship and chain is destroying the same coral. It's a proverbial catch 22. On 1 hand the destruction is occuring now and on the other a little sacrifice now will have bigger benefits in the near future.

fall 2020 Itins are released so i hope/ think the name of the first ship should be released at the same time as early 2021 itnins are being released

Latest announcements on Wonder's dry-dock make it a good candidate for extended runs at NOLA, right?

Latest announcements on Wonder's dry-dock make it a good candidate for extended runs at NOLA, right?

Maybe so...? I mean the other ships aren't themed Florida so that's hard to say. I feel like west coasters like NOLA themed things though - at least the people I know here in Portland sure do - so we'd be happy for it when she is over here! :hyper: Mostly I bet it was just that the restaurant is doing well and they have a (in my opinion) bland bar they can spice up so why not? Let the band play on and the night continue!

. As it stands now, when a ship comes in and drops an anchor, the chain ends up on the reef and the constant movement of the ship and chain is destroying the same coral.

So, I had a very interesting conversation with two different Fantasy Captains and a few of their Navigation officers. I served on many US Navy ships, including an Aircraft Carrier and we were discussing deep draft navigation and some of the 'joys' we've had. I'd noticed on the tender ride that morning that of the 4 ships in Georgetown CG that day, none had dropped their anchors. They use their bow/stern thrusters to maintain station without the use of an anchor. I was curious about the technology they used to 'hover' using the thrusters. Very fascinating discussion.

Anyway, in my experience, anchor chain will move as the ship is pushed this way and that by the tides and wind, but with the cruise ship only inport for approximately 7 hours-ish (1030-1730 for our last GC visit) there is *maybe* one tidal turn there and not too much movement (unless the seas kick up). I've been on a ship dragging anchor (on more than one occasion) and it's not fun. But I've never had it happen in such a short period of time. Anchor impact, though, is something not inconsiderable. I'm unaware as to the size of the Magic or Dream Class anchors, but my Aircraft Carrier's anchor weighed 35,000 pounds. That would do a lot of damage.

ETA: The Magic's anchor weighs 28,200 pounds

I'm not sure what (if any) environmental impact thrusters have on reefs, but would be curious to see a study on that topic.

Last edited:
So, I had a very interesting conversation with two different Fantasy Captains and a few of their Navigation officers. I served on many US Navy ships, including an Aircraft Carrier and we were discussing deep draft navigation and some of the 'joys' we've had. I'd noticed on the tender ride that morning that of the 4 ships in Georgetown CG that day, none had dropped their anchors. They use their bow/stern thrusters to maintain station without the use of an anchor. I was curious about the technology they used to 'hover' using the thrusters. Very fascinating discussion.

Anyway, in my experience, anchor chain will move as the ship is pushed this way and that by the tides and wind, but with the cruise ship only inport for approximately 7 hours-ish (1030-1730 for our last GC visit) there is *maybe* one tidal turn there and not too much movement (unless the seas kick up). I've been on a ship dragging anchor (on more than one occasion) and it's not fun. But I've never had it happen in such a short period of time. Anchor impact, though, is something not inconsiderable. I'm unaware as to the size of the Magic or Dream Class anchors, but my Aircraft Carrier's anchor weighed 35,000 pounds. That would do a lot of damage.

ETA: The Magic's anchor weighs 28,200 pounds

I'm not sure what (if any) environmental impact thrusters have on reefs, but would be curious to see a study on that topic.

I've talked to several people about the dps they use. Capt John before he retired was signing in one of the gift shops at CC and it was pretty windy while we were there. He must have gotten 25 phone calls while he was there and we were waiting. They were using the Wonders I think to hold the ship 3 feet from the pier while we were there. I'm still amazed that the computers can keep up with the demands that were/are placed on them. We talked a little bit about it, but he was concerned because the weather wasnt cooperation that day and the thrusters were having a hard time keeping up.

It may vary from time to time. I have pics of the Fantasy and the Magic along with other ships on anchor in the Caymans. Some used a combination of anchor and thrusters and others just anchors. May be a Capt thing may even be a weather thing. Have seen a couple of the ships on an angle compared to the other ships around it. Couldnt tell you the why behind it. Something may have changed between then and now also.

Anyway, this is just me but depending on what the ship sits over, may determine what environmental impact there is. One of the arguments I keep seeing pop up for dredging for example is the the stirred up sand ends up settling on the reef which suffocates it eventually. A ship sitting over a sand flat in the Cayman may kick up sand as the thrusters work to keep the ship parked in that spot by dps. So in that case I can see the argument over the sand covering reef issue. On the other hand, park a ship over a reef and the currents from the same thrusters could potentially strip a reef of life forms. ( If anyone is not sure how much power is behind the thrusters look at the thruster wash when the ship leaves PC. The majority of the time, it has a brownish tinge from the mud that gets stirred up. And that pier has been there for 21 years) If/when they drop an anchor and walk out the chain, they've just physically battered the same reef. It's that proverbially catch 22. No matter what they do, people are not going to be happy.

Im with you. I'd like to see what if any environmental studies there are also. I keep seeing the same arguments when ever someone brings up any type of expansion or widening or dredging project. Key West shot down a widening project that would allow larger ships in to port because of the you'll kill the reefs with sand argument. Same argument that is being made in Grand Cayman, and Miami. I keep seeing a lot of people state it but havent seen anything definitive.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!