New Disney vs old Disney

I love them all, but if I have to choose, the new. The quality in so many ways and the storytelling are better. We tend to look at the old movies through the lens of time and our youth, but if you saw many of the old movies for the first time today next to the new ones, the new ones are better.

While it isn't completely fair to compare animated to live action, I absolutely love the new Cinderella so much better than the original.

And what are you including in Disney? I think Pixar is better than many of the old Disney, as is Tangled, Frozen, and others. Marvel is also amazing. And Big Hero 6 is fantastic. I love the old, but the new is better.

I just like anything Disney, except for the direct-to-video stuff.

Last edited:
What is the cut off point between the old and new? Renaissance onwards for new? If so, I would probably choose new as most of my favourite Disney movies fall that side of the divide.

There's an ebb and flow. The 80s and 00s were kind of bleak but the 90s and this decade were much better overall. There were definite hits and misses before then too. Much of it comes down to personal preference as well. I think BH6, Tangled and Wreck-It-Ralph were all much better than Frozen, but I know most people will disagree me. Likewise, I think Atlantis and Treasure Planet are under appreciated but I don't get why some people love Emperor's New Groove.

Both are great in there own ways. Whether it's live action or animated old and new Disney are both phenomenal!!

Err.. depends what you consider "old" and what you consider "new"

But like, I'd have to say old, I think. It's just that the classic ones are all amazing and the new ones are more hit or miss, to me.
But all in all, I love them all..

It's a toss up with animated, but I will say that Disney did a great job with live action movies in the 60s and 70s and I love watching those oldies. Parent Trap, Swiss Family Robinson, Computer Who Wore Tennis Shoes, Blackbeard's Ghost, Snowball Express, The Love Bug.....

There's a certain air of perfection and happiness in the older Disney movies that isn't there fully now BUT its still magic.
Simpler times I guess were the key things that trigger my thoughts when I see them, it could just be my personal experience also I think.

I am leaning toward old. I love some of the new stuff...a lot of it actually. But as a parent with small children (my oldest is 4) I am trying to not show too many frightening or inappropriate films to her. Don't get me wrong...I know there are frightening things in some of the old ones, too. But I guess Disney movies in general are not as innocent as they used to be. So many are PG-13. Event he PG or G ones tend to be slipping in many "adult" things that I just don't feel little kids need to see/hear. Yes...they will see/hear it all eventually, but can't they just enjoy the innocence of childhood for a little while? I think old Disney was more family friendly. I think new Disney is more in your face.

I prefer the films (animated and live action) of the Walt era (1937-1967). They have much more repeat value to me than the newer films. And I haven't really watched ANY Disney live action since the early '80s.

some of the older disney movies were good and solid movies with excellent story telling, however i feel the newer films are based on the action and adventure side of the "quests" of the characters which i prefer.

i mean come on! in Sleeping Beauty the dragon is slain so easily with the sword! i like that in later films the action is more direct and you want the character to suceed!

so im for the newer films, i grew up around the time Lion King, Aladdin, Bauty & The Beast came out so i remember these films very fondly.

as an adult ive gone back and watched films and found new favoriates that i appreciate now im older, like Three Callebros and Saludos Amigos which are inpart entertaining but informative.

i think Disney did a good job with films like Hunchback that felt like it was made for those who grew up on the disney classics and it felt like it was made for disney fans who have matured and want a disney film with a darker tone.

that being said some of the later films like Haunted Mansion i would have preferred if they made it a cartoon as it lacked everything that i loved about the ride.
Pirates became a cash cow franchise and i am glad they took it back to basics with Stranger Tides.

back onto Disney Animation tho;

i loved some of the sequels also, like Return Of Jafar, Cinderella: Twist In Time, Belles Enchanted Christmas, Lion King II.

in regards to the differences between handrawn and digital, i prefer the handrawn cartoons. Princess & The Frog is one of my favoriates and it will stand the test of time, but i feel Wrek-It Ralph and Big Hero 6 whilst entertaining are not what i consiuder to be a disney fillm, it felt like somthing Universal/Dreamworks would create!

i love the movies that are musicals, they have some timeless songs and the newer CGI films seem to loose that. Films like Tangled and Frozen whilst popular and entertaining i feel they are just immitations of the old disney and if made in hand drawn i feel they may be more timless. CGI isnt timeless it will look old and blocky within 5 years. leave CGI to pixar and stick to hand drawn.

ok off my soapbox :)

oh and also, puttin on my flameproof jacket because i bashed frozen, "let it go guys" lol

I love many of the newer ones too, but I really love the old Disney movies - Escape to Witch Mountain, The Absent-Minded Professor, the original versions of The Parent Trap and The Incredible Journey. There's just something about the slower pace of older movies that makes me feel good.

I am only 15 years old going on 16 the end of this month so I didn't grow up on the older Disney animated movie, but I am so glad my parents had me watch them when I was little. I love them all like Cinderella, Peter Pan and The Aristocats just to name a few. I do think the animation in the newer movies is better, but that just comes with the technology. Still though the bottom line for me is if the movie has a great story and great songs in it which most Disney movies do. So I really didn't answer the question, because I love them all. :)

Since listening to multiple soundtracks recently, I've found that they had more originality in song and at the same time were amazing (addicting) songs. The songs now don't really stick like the ENTIRE Beauty and the Beast soundtrack, you'll have 1-3 songs that will rotate but not considered amazing for the most part.

That's a hard call. What constitutes new? When I think of new, I think of Frozen, Tangled, Big Hero etc. Beauty and the Beast doesn't seem new to me when it's pushing 25 years old, but it's all perspective. As for what's better? That's subjective. I loved the old live action movies like Parent Trap, Summer Magic, Pollyanna, the Witch Mountain movies, Herbie, Apple Dumpling Gang, Hot Lead & Cold Feet, Swiss Family Robinson, etc. And I loved Aristocats, Robin Hood, the Rescuers, The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, The Sword in the Stone and of course Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, and Snow White! Although some of them came out before I was born, that's what I grew up on, so nostalgia no doubt plays a part in my perception. That being said- I also enjoy the newer films. I've seen them all. If you count Disney/Pixar, those movies rarely disappoint, and we just watched the Princess and the Frog again, and it was even better than I had remembered it. I don't really get the insane popularity of Frozen (it was a good film, not saying it wasn't, I just liked Tangled better. Again, just an opinion.), although I kind of look at it like this- Frozen is this generation's Beauty and the Beast, and it will likely take a good many years before we can really put it in its proper perspective. I tend to agree with @>Ash< regarding the hand-drawn vs CGI, and it will be interesting to see which of the new films ultimately have the longevity of the earlier ones.

I enjoy the older films more, I enjoy the newer films. But there's something about Disney films from the 1930's - mid 90's that have a certain feeling that is missing from newer Disney films. I think it has to do with the sound quality for the Dialogue from Disney's films from the 1930's - the early 80's.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!