New Disneyland Hotel On Hold

I kinda followed Tikiman for the Poly DVC construction. At one point there seemed to be plans for a tower and adding a lazy river, etc. In other words, it seems typical Disney resort planning goes through a bunch of plans and scope as various departments are involved and have to sign off.

This DL project happens to be more public because of the tax incentives. (that Anaheim offered to any developer of a luxury hotel before Disney announced their original plan)

I love the correspondence from Disney's Legal on company letterhead with the Walt Disney logo at the top and Mickey waltzing in, throwing his weight around.

MICKEY: Ha, ha! Golly gee. 1,500 construction jobs, 1,000 permanent jobs, as well as more than $25 million in incremental revenue. I will break you, Anaheim.

Given that Disney only generated $4.9 billion in revenue in Q2 2018 from parks alone, I can see how they still need the subsidies.

A mouse's got to eat.

DL.png

I wish they could build more DVC rooms out there. From what I heard, the new wing where the DVC rooms are also has hotel rooms that were built to be easily converted to DVC if they wanted to. They even appear in the VGC Dues budget. But apparently Anaheim is not allowing any more timeshare rooms.

Yeah. The odds on this project being DVC at all were nearly-zero, although I keep reading people saying "oh no it was going to have DVC!"

I've said it before, will say it again: The Disneyland Resort Area Plan has very specific zoning and requirements that apply to hotel units and "vacation ownership units," and a hard cap on the number allowed within the zoning district. Disney's at about half that with VGC (which, as y'all know: VGC is tiny). To either add units in a new hotel or convert other units requires a permit, because you can't just do it, sell them, and let people use them without the permits (even if they were okay as hotel units previous).

Add in the tax incentive, and the odds of those permits being granted go downward. Anaheim had specific goals with the incentive, and timeshare wasn't in the goals.

There was a proposal to raise the cap on timeshare units in the zoning plan not too far back. Anaheim Council declined to pass it.

I wonder if the VGC price per point will drop if there are more DVC rooms just down the downtown block?

I wonder if the VGC price per point will drop if there are more DVC rooms just down the downtown block?

It won't.

Max that can be added in current zoning code is right around 79 units. Won't make a dent.

I kinda followed Tikiman for the Poly DVC construction. At one point there seemed to be plans for a tower and adding a lazy river, etc. In other words, it seems typical Disney resort planning goes through a bunch of plans and scope as various departments are involved and have to sign off.

This DL project happens to be more public because of the tax incentives. (that Anaheim offered to any developer of a luxury hotel before Disney announced their original plan)

It should have been possible for the Imagineers to change the design but still comply with the permit they were granted. The cynic in me thinks when something makes no sense, it's not always due to incompetence...

Anaheim Council: If we act tough we'll look like we're sticking to our election platform (and the Mouse will gives us more DVC points!)

Mouse: Better play along with the charade so the voters don't get disenchanted and vote these guys out. Otherwise we'll have to re-bribe the next batch of bureaucrats!

[Let's fight]

Anaheim: For the good of the City's people and jobs we will allow the project to continue. But you're shrinking 10 of the 700 rooms by 10%!

Mouse: Have a Magical Day!

I love the correspondence from Disney's Legal on company letterhead with the Walt Disney logo at the top and Mickey waltzing in, throwing his weight around.

MICKEY: Ha, ha! Golly gee. 1,500 construction jobs, 1,000 permanent jobs, as well as more than $25 million in incremental revenue. I will break you, Anaheim.

Given that Disney only generated $4.9 billion in revenue in Q2 2018 from parks alone, I can see how they still need the subsidies.

A mouse's got to eat.

View attachment 344434

The Mouse eats 50 year tax exemptions on Disneyland tickets for breakfast. But it's morning tea time now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter