New DVC coming to Disneyland?

but resale contracts get the same 7 month window

Yep. Just not Riviera resales or those who have purchased resale since the change earlier this year unless they don't restrict this DVC like they did Riviera.

You mean pre-restriction resale? I purchased direct after the restrictions

even resales purchased after restriction still get 7mo access to the original 14 resorts. there’s so many in FL, it’s not materially impactful (yet).

plus, given the costs of both VGC resales and what we feel is the market price for a DLH property, it doesn’t make a ton of sense for a direct purchase at the new resort to use those points elsewhere.

Any resale other than Riviera can still book at VGC at 7 months. We'll have to see if they apply the new restrictions to any new west coast resort. Most likely they would but we'll just have to wait and see.

I think they will adopt new restrictions, but IMO it’ll be mostly meaningless since financially it just won’t make sense to use high priced DLH points elsewhere. That could change over the next few decades, but my advice to would-be buyers has always been to maintain contracts at places they’re likely to stay and discount the fringe benefits like 7mo booking.

My point is that VGC is almost impossible to book at 7 months because it is so small. A much bigger DVC resort will open the possibility for non-DL owners to book. As I'm a recent buyer, my direct purchase allows me that opportunity.

My point is that VGC is almost impossible to book at 7 months because it is so small. A much bigger DVC resort will open the possibility for non-DL owners to book. As I'm a recent buyer, my direct purchase allows me that opportunity.

ah okay, I missed that subtle distinction between the original 14 and capacity issues vs DLH expansion with likely restriction. 350 units is a lot of capacity and will benefit DVC owners in the east 👍👍

I think they will adopt new restrictions, but IMO it’ll be mostly meaningless since financially it just won’t make sense to use high priced DLH points elsewhere. That could change over the next few decades, but my advice to would-be buyers has always been to maintain contracts at places they’re likely to stay and discount the fringe benefits like 7mo booking.

Many DVC purchasers are buying in the moment and don't give much thought to their home resort when the guide shows them all the other resorts that are available and tells them they'll be able to book them without any problem. You'd think what you described would apply to VGC too but it doesn't. Most of the year both 1BR's and 2BR's and often even studios are available at 7 months for non-owners to book. They go quickly then but there is availability. It happens with every resort - buyers go in, are sold on DVC and buy because "that's what Disney was selling". And the entire time they plan on frequently staying at other places.

Another thing about DLR - you can see it all in 2-3 days. So no need to buy a week’s worth of points. Move on to less expensive lodging to enjoy other SoCal sights.

I would say quite the opposite because it’s a locals park, and as a result they are constantly adding things and changing things up to keep the locals coming. It is the total opposite of WDW which is much more or a tourists park. For instance right now we have festival of holidays at DCA, quickly to be followed by lunar new year and then food and wine. We are locals who attend the Parks weekly and still find it hard to keep up with the constant new offerings. We have space mountain, space mountain ghost galaxy, hyperspace mountain, etc. We can’t see everything in a year, let alone a couple days.

This brings up the topic of point inflation. It's too early to think about it, but I'll be the first to admit that VGC is the "Prime" location and DLH is a "Secondary" location. DVC resorts have been raising points per night quite a bit recently. (Riviera the most glaring example of point inflation vs Boardwalk/Beach Club.) VGC already has pretty high point charts. Does Disney inflate DLH at a higher point per night rate than VGC? I think then it becomes harder to argue for DLH over VGC if it's more points per night. (I know we are WAAAAYYYY too early for this conversation - but this is what goes through my head.)
I I don’t see how they could justify a point chart higher than VGC, the westcoast flagship with a prime location. DLH is our equivalent to a moderate, with paradise pier being our value resort. Then again, I suppose that didnt stop them from making Riviera the deluxe CBR.

Many DVC purchasers are buying in the moment and don't give much thought to their home resort when the guide shows them all the other resorts that are available and tells them they'll be able to book them without any problem. You'd think what you described would apply to VGC too but it doesn't. Most of the year both 1BR's and 2BR's and often even studios are available at 7 months for non-owners to book. They go quickly then but there is availability. It happens with every resort - buyers go in, are sold on DVC and buy because "that's what Disney was selling". And the entire time they plan on frequently staying at other places.

true, but if your cost basis is like $81/pt (after incentives, heart of the recession when VGC opened), staying at other resorts makes sense.

Smart money would sell these for $$$$ and rebuy in FL

I would say quite the opposite because it’s a locals park, and as a result they are constantly adding things and changing things up to keep the locals coming. It is the total opposite of WDW which is much more or a tourists park. For instance right now we have festival of holidays at DCA, quickly to be followed by lunar new year and then food and wine. We are locals who attend the Parks weekly and still find it hard to keep up with the constant new offerings. We have space mountain, space mountain ghost galaxy, hyperspace mountain, etc. We can’t see everything in a year, let alone a couple days.

i agree, and I’m a 90min flight away... we are usually here once every 6 weeks (2 nights, Fri-Sun) based on offerings and just going for a different focus.

we’ll have one longer 3-4 night stay once a year that coincides with fall break/thanksgiving.

I’ll stay away around christmas/NY as the park reaches its maximum legal capacity.

Thee were trips when all we did was ride dumbo and haunted mansion, hahaha

We just got back from our DL trip last night. The Festival of the Holidays was amazing! The food was so delicious and well thought out. My DH actually prefers DL to WDW and told me many times on the trip. While I love the idea of another DVC resort on the west coast, we are limited by geography in how often we get out there. I think we’ll probably stick with only our VGC contract for west coast holdings (I reserve the right to change my mind!). It’s a 4 hr flight to LAX plus a 1-1.5 hr drive from the airport, depending on traffic, versus a 2.5 hr flight and a 30-45 min drive to WDW for us. We love the time change in our favor on the west coast, but I don’t see us going to DL more than once every 2 years.

For those who said you only need 2-3 days, we just spent 3.5 days in the parks, and it felt perfect. We took long breaks in the middle of the day, and we took our time like the west coasters do.

Everyone should go to DL at least once and enjoy the slower pace, less planning, and the amazing weather. I’m excited for a new DVC there, but I think it’ll take a lot of convincing to get me to stay at a DLH-area DVC versus VGC because of location. However, I am open to being convinced otherwise.

Last edited:
Hoping this happens.
Booking a DVC room at GC has been impossible as we don't own there. Having another option would be really nice and maybe give us an opportunity at 7 months.

When I read this my first thought was “ah crap, this is going to cost me 30k...”
I’m from Oregon and we go to DL every summer, WDW every 3-4 years. Never made sense to purchase DVC when VGC was sold out and we went to the East Coast so infrequently. I’m sure a lot of people are in my boat, they’re basically printing money with this (if they can get it approved)

I’m in Oregon and bought 100 resale VGC two years ago. Do itttt :). Benefits don’t matter a lot for west coast and there’s really no reason to buy direct.

I agree, the fringe benefits are pretty useless if you stick to the home resort (which you will at that price point).
The 100 points get you pretty far if you go in the fall...the old point charts were drawn up when October-November were notoriously slow, they’re now the most popular/impacted time periods for both parks.

BUT...if you are patient, wait to see how the DLH project moves forward. I can’t see it moving the needle much of VGC resales, but I also said “house prices only go up” in 2004 and ate my words a few years later, haha

Yep, our only question is buying direct or resale ...quite possibly both! I wouldn't mind getting a 2nd Blue Card and with 2 kids to pass down to, it might just be perfect.

I’m in Oregon and bought 100 resale VGC two years ago. Do itttt :). Benefits don’t matter a lot for west coast and there’s really no reason to buy direct.

how have you found availability to be? I’ve been gunshy about it because I’ve heard it can be hard to get what you want even at 11 months. The bigger tower seems like the safer bet, and I’m guessing they’ll do the same restrictions as on RR so I can’t use any resale points there.

We’ve owned for a couple years and stayed twice-2 bedrooms both times. No availability problems yet. I don’t think owners struggle a lot if they book early in their windows.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!