New DVC purchase - a few questions

eaglesrest

Earning My Ears
Hey all

I've just had a 210 point SSR March UY contract waived by Disney and am trying to get my head round the specifics of how we are are going to book our next vacation for August 2019.

We are looking to book 2 x 1 bedroom's initially at SSR, and then hopefully at 7 months or later switch to OKW or BWV. In the interim we will top up with 75 points as a direct purchase ideally with the same UY.

I estimate we will need a total of about 840 points for both rooms. To get this we will need to bank 285 points from 2018, by no later than 31/10/18(?), assuming the direct points come through in time. Use 285 2019 points from 01/03/19, and borrow 270 points from 2020 again only possible from 01/03/19.

Ideally we would want to book our home resort at 11 months for 1 room only (16/09/18) and then cancel and swap to OKW/BWV at 7 months (16/01/19), however I don't think this is going to work, as if we cancelled we would lose our 2018 points, correct? So our only realistic option would be to bank the 2018 points, wait until 16/01/19 to book the first room at 7 months, and then wait until 01/03/19, and see what is available at that point for the 2nd room?

I hadn't see anybody mention changing resorts at 7 months as a disadvantage to a specific UY, so hadn't really considered it before otherwise I'd have probably gone for an August UY so we could have had more options at 7 months.

Have I got the logic right, or am I totally off the mark and its actually 4 months before the actual trip occurs that the points have to be used? Hoping the latter.

Thanks ahead :)

Last edited:
Actually I think I have it totally wrong thankfully :)

If I bank the points into 2019 and book in 2018, I can cancel and rebook early 2019 without penalty. I'd forgotten that UY has nothing to do with when the reservation can be booked.

So bank 285 points from 2018 into 2019, and book SSR for 1 room in Sept 2018. Swap that room to TBC jan 2019, and try and book another room at TBC from 01/03/19 when I can borrow the extra points needed? That make sense?

I think I need a lie down .....

Banking and borrowing moves points between the use year. Calendar year, when you can borrow and when you can book are different.

For your 2019 trip you will bank your 2018 use year points into 2019. Now you will have 570 points to use between Mar 1 2019 and Feb 28 2020. When you make your reservation in Sept 2018 for the Aug 2019 trip, you will have the option of borrowing against your 2020 points and moving them into a 2019 use year. If you borrow 270 2020 use year points, they too will be moved to the 2019 use year giving you 840 points to use during a stay between Mar 1 2019 and Feb 28 2020.

You can borrow 2020 points earlier than you think, you don't have to wait until Mar 2019 to borrow 2020 points.

Swapping rooms is a big gamble with that many points. Not sure I'd roll those dice.

Ah that makes sense now. Thank you for explaining, it's a much better scenario than I expected.

We don't have access to the booking tool yet, but if when we come to the 7 month window and are looking to potentially swap, is it possible to see how many 1 bedrooms are available for a specific period per resort? I'm hoping the fact its late August and we want 1-bedrooms will give us more flexibility.

You can't see how many rooms are available but since you are looking to book one bedrooms and not studios, your chance for success is better.

:earsboy: Bill

If the rooms you want to ideally move into would use the same or more points then the rooms you would book at SSR...i would think about booking both the rooms you need at SSR at the 11 month mark just in case it doesn't work out as you hope it will at the 7 month mark...that way you are covered. If the rooms you are looking to book at the 7 month mark are less points then the ones at SSR that you could book at the 11 month mark, I would personally book one room for the week you want an SSR and a second room for six of the seven nights that you want at SSR that way you don't over borrow and end up wasting points but in case it doesn't work out you would be pretty much covered and you can always add on that last day to your SSR reservation.
I hope I have explained myself well. I know it's a lot of information to take in and understand when you're new...
I think the most important thing to think about and your situation is too not over borrow points that you might not end up using. When I first joined DVC I would make my reservations on the phone with member services because that way I could explain everything I wanted to do and then I would ask them to help me figure out how to do that... it was very helpful and so were they! And if you want to book online at the 11-month Mark you can always call them after your account setup and explain what you want to do and they'll help you figure it out then and then you can put the plan in place at the 11-month mark

Thanks both. We intend to book 2 SSR rooms for 2 weeks each at 11 months, which will require 852 (426 x 2) points. If we switch to BWV standard view we will need 824 points and OKW 796 points.

That's a great point on not over-borrowing, as in our scenario if we can get BWV or OKW, then we would lose the balance of the points, which is up to 56 points if we book OKW. Looking at the ******* availability tool SSR 1 bedrooms should be easy to get at 7 months, so I think your advice is spot on - at 11 months SSR we book 1 room for the full 2 weeks and 1 room for 12 nights. It's 27-32 points per night at SSR so that would ensure we don't over borrow to the OKW minimum of 796 points. If we can't get OKW/BWV/BCV etc at 11 months then we top up the extra 2 days at SSR.

I've read of people having 2 browser windows open to get the desired properties at 7 months, but I think as its our first booking, and its a bit more complex than a standard booking, giving Disney a call might be prudent, thank you.

It's more complex than it first appears this DVC ownership :)

Now I just need to sort my cognitive dissidence over buying direct vs resale lol

If you do over borrow, you can ask MS after booking to only use the banked and borrowed points for the new reservations. That way you can bank the regular points into the next UY.

Good to know, ta. In that case there is no disadvantage in booking both rooms at 11 months, swap at 7 months if possible, and bank the current UY points into 2020. I guess the issue would be if we don't plan to travel until 2022, in which case we would lose the banked points, whereas if we had left the 'spare' points in the 2020 year then they could be banked into 2021 and used in 2022?

We are actually planning on Hawaii 2022.

Good to know, ta. In that case there is no disadvantage in booking both rooms at 11 months, swap at 7 months if possible, and bank the current UY points into 2020. I guess the issue would be if we don't plan to travel until 2022, in which case we would lose the banked points, whereas if we had left the 'spare' points in the 2020 year then they could be banked into 2021 and used in 2022?

You my not be planing for a 2020 trip to WDW but you are owners now so expect to do a Disney vacations twice each year, that's why Disney loves DVC. It's like the dining plan, you aren't spending money, it's only credits or points. :goodvibes
Start planning for your add-on now. :thumbsup2

You my not be planing for a 2020 trip to WDW but you are owners now so expect to do a Disney vacations twice each year, that's why Disney loves DVC. It's like the dining plan, you aren't spending money, it's only credits or points. :goodvibes
Start planning for your add-on now. :thumbsup2

Ha ha, indeed. Kids in college is overrated anyway :yay:

One more Q that has occurred to me. We don't have our membership number as yet, but is it worthwhile getting in touch with DVC now to discuss a 75 point direct purchase for the same resort and UY? Just wondering in case we need to be wait-listed?

One more Q that has occurred to me. We don't have our membership number as yet, but is it worthwhile getting in touch with DVC now to discuss a 75 point direct purchase for the same resort and UY? Just wondering in case we need to be wait-listed?

DVD/DVC just got a new president and SVP and we don't know what their policies will be. Will there still be membership magic events, AP discounts, dining discounts, will the perks improve or be removed? My guess is that they might keep some perks but come up with their own to make their mark as new management.

Hard to say if you should buy direct for the perks or wait to see what happens.

Understood. I ideally need the additional points by September 18 to book SSR at the 11 month mark.

I've looked at an availability tool, and it looks like 1 beds at SSR are still available to book in August 18 even now, so I know it shouldn't be difficult later down the line, but would still like to sort it. With the SSR refurb inventory may be lower next year, so that could be a factor.

I've worked out a $1.9k difference between buying direct vs resale, assuming I can find a low point resale for SSR with the right UY, and it passes ROFR. So it's a $2k gamble on perks, but at least I'll have the points when I need them I guess.

Thanks both. We intend to book 2 SSR rooms for 2 weeks each at 11 months, which will require 852 (426 x 2) points. If we switch to BWV standard view we will need 824 points and OKW 796 points.

That's a great point on not over-borrowing, as in our scenario if we can get BWV or OKW, then we would lose the balance of the points, which is up to 56 points if we book OKW. Looking at the ******* availability tool SSR 1 bedrooms should be easy to get at 7 months, so I think your advice is spot on - at 11 months SSR we book 1 room for the full 2 weeks and 1 room for 12 nights. It's 27-32 points per night at SSR so that would ensure we don't over borrow to the OKW minimum of 796 points. If we can't get OKW/BWV/BCV etc at 11 months then we top up the extra 2 days at SSR.

I've read of people having 2 browser windows open to get the desired properties at 7 months, but I think as its our first booking, and its a bit more complex than a standard booking, giving Disney a call might be prudent, thank you.

It's more complex than it first appears this DVC ownership :)

Now I just need to sort my cognitive dissidence over buying direct vs resale lol

I would not bet on BWV standard view at 7 months. It is nearly impossible to get for 1 room, let alone 2.

Only you know if your excitement is worth paying for a direct contract. Is march your best UY for your vacation times?

You need to be careful that the resale and direct contracts are titled the same and that they both get put into your new account.

I don't believe you can use 2020 points banked in to 2021 for a 2022 year trip...unless the trip happens to fall in your 2021 use year. (It gets very confusing thinking of use year and calendar year at the same time!) For a March use year I believe 2020 points banked forward to 2021 would need to be used by the end of February 2022.
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong!:)

I don't believe you can use 2020 points banked in to 2021 for a 2022 year trip...unless the trip happens to fall in your 2021 use year. (It gets very confusing thinking of use year and calendar year at the same time!) For a March use year I believe 2020 points banked forward to 2021 would need to be used by the end of February 2022.
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong!:)

Thanks - can anyone confirm this if this correct? I suspect it is, and we would really need to rent out those points for 2020.

Thanks - can anyone confirm this if this correct? I suspect it is, and we would really need to rent out those points for 2020.
Points banked into your 2021 UY must be used before the end of that UY. In your case (March UY), they would expire on Feb 28, 2022.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter