Reflections: A Disney Lakeside Resort

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dolphin mattresses and linens are wonderful since the renovation. Thanks for sharing about club level Yacht club.
Yep no worries. The Club level at yacht club was super comfy, It was the same type of high quality bedding I have slept on at various Lowes Properties. If you can get a tower room at the yacht, the light comes in amazingly and it feels quite private, though the walk to the elevators can be a bit far. Over all on bedding it has been the tops, was also a room where i got to try out some new Disney tech for inside the room. Over all it was a great couple of nights, my wife caught a cold so she deff took advantage of the bed more than I did and she agrees

It looks like a full table service restaurant is coming to this resort. The layout shows it on the waterfront, but has still to be confirmed by Disney.
Being a mix of dvc and resort rooms, there is pretty much a guarantee of a table service restaurant. I can’t see them not having one, especially with all the Ft Wilderness people there too. No way Trails End could handle all of that extra traffic

It looks like a full table service restaurant is coming to this resort. The layout shows it on the waterfront, but has still to be confirmed by Disney.
If the permits are correct it should be something over the water similar to Villa Del Lago at CSR.

If the permits are correct it should be something over the water similar to Villa Del Lago at CSR.
Not specifically. That venue is directly in the middle of a lake. This won't be in the middle but off the edge of the land probably more so like Geyser Point at WL.

Not specifically. That venue is directly in the middle of a lake. This won't be in the middle but off the edge of the land probably more so like Geyser Point at WL.
Well yeah not in the middle of Bay Lake20190726_163323.jpg
They had it going near that sloppy circle I drew. Kind of like a pier, there was a bridge leading into it. But it could be old and plans can change.

You are so very correct! Average person is being squeezed out.
There is little money to be made by managing a timeshare resort. So Disney, as well as other timeshares, need to keep building. Once a certain percentage is sold, the HOA takes over and could make changes that are good for the owners but not as good for Disney. IDK exactly how DVC is run compared to other timeshares, but in general, they must keep building or die. There must be a limit on space like WDW, but obviously Disney doesn't think they have reached that. I would guess they won't think they reached the limit until things begin to collapse. I know a lot of people love their DVC purchase, but I would worry about the future if I owned.

@okilydokily - Just curious as to the reasoning behind the statement that they must keep building or die. I would have assumed the maintenance fees would fund the project forever. Yearly increases to offset the cost of living raises, etc. This idea of keep building suggests a pyramid scheme. While I don't know much about time share, other than to avoid them, I don't believe they are a pyramid either. Thanks in advance.

I don't think it was meant that the timeshare resort itself fails if the resort company doesn't move on to a new one. I think the issue there is that once the resort is sold out, the timeshare builder stops making any profit. So the maintenance fees may pay for upkeep, housekeeping, etc., that's really all it does.

I'm guessing the way to think of it is like a home builder, probably if the builder kept some degree of control over the HOA and the common areas after completion. Once the neighborhood is done being built and all the homes are sold, the builder could continue to get some money by maintaining the common area, etc., but it really only makes its money when it sells the houses.

While it's not a completely apt comparison since Disney is able to make money off of DVC properties in other ways: buying back points through Right of First Refusal and foreclosure, interest on the DVC lending, and the big one the most DVC guests are spending lots of money in the parks and restaurants, etc., Disney's making its real money off the sale of the DVC properties (strictly as it relates to their timeshare division). If they stop building the resorts, then they are limited to making money off of those other areas. So while DVC makes a ton of money for them up front, hotels make a return on the investment of building them over a longer period of time since they continue to make money.

Now Disney also has the advantage of contracts expiring, so that, I believe, will allow them to then either tear down and rebuild, or just gut and refurbish, then re-sell the entire resort's allotment of points again. While the expirations are advantageous to buyers in that they are not stuck with a property that their family has to deal with in perpetuity (not everyone wants to inherit a timeshare), this also allows Disney to deal with the finite amount of land it has in the area and eventually recycle the properties and make money all over again.

I don't think it was meant that the timeshare resort itself fails if the resort company doesn't move on to a new one. I think the issue there is that once the resort is sold out, the timeshare builder stops making any profit. So the maintenance fees may pay for upkeep, housekeeping, etc., that's really all it does.

I'm guessing the way to think of it is like a home builder, probably if the builder kept some degree of control over the HOA and the common areas after completion. Once the neighborhood is done being built and all the homes are sold, the builder could continue to get some money by maintaining the common area, etc., but it really only makes its money when it sells the houses.

Thank you for the great explanation. I don't know much about DVC, but based on other time share companies, I am assuming Disney is the HOA manager, once sold out or whatever % is in the contract, the HOA may be able go to a cheaper manager. But even if they have to use Disney, the profit is not in managing the properties as you said.

I am not saying it would go belly up, but Disney may not offer good deals to owners if they were not pushing more sales, or other things can happen to make the properties not as enticing. Though some small places do well with upkeep and amenities once sold out, usually the maintenance fees end up being more than the value to the owners. I know people love DVC, but overall, timeshares are not a good investment for most owners, but great for company profits. But the expiring contacts are supposed to help. It will be interesting to see what happens.

DVC is not like other time shares in one important area, they are a division of Disney. It doesn't need to keep generating new profits for the timeshare company. It creates profits in the other business segments by guaranteeing a massive number of onsite owners everyday feeding the theme park, foodservice, and merchandise beasts. Any DVC owner will tell you that occupancy is 99%+ and you can be sure these people aren't sittng in their timeshares with a viceclamp holding their wallets shut.

Ideally, designed as nicely as GP but an actual TS restaurant vice the hybrid lounge/QS/TS creature GP is now. In fact, I'd love to see a Signature where my wife and I could have a nice adult meal without either characters, shenanigans, or a bar setting. . .not likely to happen, but I can wish. . .

Is there any info related to Discovery Island and this project? Seems like it’s pretty visible from the lake edge of where this will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!