Reflections: A Disney Lakeside Resort

Status
Not open for further replies.
What would it be like if it was still River Country? In other words was that a better option to have that water park there compared to this incoming resort?
River Country opened a few year (5) after WDW and the Fort. It was themed and integrated into the Fort so it "fit". There are still many that bemoan RC closing.

I've been on the trails many times between the Fort and WL, going right along the fence that closes off the old RC site. There is actually lots of room between WL and the Settlement. New comers to the Fort (or WL) would never realize RC was in there. I hope this new resort 'blends' into the area the same way. The blueprints showing parking lots right up to Pioneer Hall and the Settlement bus stop is bothersome, but Disney has a way of using berms and landscaping to hide a lot. Our non-Fort stay this year was at All Start Sports. First time there. I was surprised how they were able to make each of the AS resorts feel isolated within a tight area.

j

River Country opened a few year (5) after WDW and the Fort. It was themed and integrated into the Fort so it "fit". There are still many that bemoan RC closing.

I've been on the trails many times between the Fort and WL, going right along the fence that closes off the old RC site. There is actually lots of room between WL and the Settlement. New comers to the Fort (or WL) would never realize RC was in there. I hope this new resort 'blends' into the area the same way. The blueprints showing parking lots right up to Pioneer Hall and the Settlement bus stop is bothersome, but Disney has a way of using berms and landscaping to hide a lot. Our non-Fort stay this year was at All Start Sports. First time there. I was surprised how they were able to make each of the AS resorts feel isolated within a tight area.

j

I see thanks, sounds like some vets would prefer the bustle of the extra amenity of RC, and some liked it gone and more tranquil.

I see thanks, sounds like some vets would prefer the bustle of the extra amenity of RC, and some liked it gone and more tranquil.
The thing with RC too is that it had a really small capacity. RC closed way before I ever got a chance to go, so I don’t know whether or not it made a noticeable difference crowd wise. But definitely not a blizzard beach or typhoon lagoon level of bussle

So - do you work for Whiting Turner as an intern or ...?
Nope! The announcement of the name came from the Destination D expo. My other sources have nothing to do with my work. I was in the right place at right time, I guess.

I’m a Disney fan through and through, my family use to stay in the old airstreams at the Fort back in the 70’s and I don’t think I’ve ever missed a year without going to Hoop Dee Doo. So I’m very intrigued...:)

Last edited:
All I have is pictures (which I won’t share).. although I never signed anything, I don’t want someone getting in trouble (who ever that is)... that wouldn’t be fair, but it’s like 3 parties far far removed. So what would you do if you knew the ending to Star Wars and no one else did? I’m Not letting anything else out of the bag! Enjoy the journey!

Quick question as we never stay at F Wilderness, but look forward to new DVC Resorts as they are always fun to try out and enjoy.

What would it be like if it was still River Country? In other words was that a better option to have that water park there compared to this incoming resort?
That is kind of like comparing apples to his. I think everyone realizes that RC isn't coming back and are more or less okay with that. The worry people have is that the new resort is going to ruin the entire atmosphere of Fort Wilderness As Well as the atmosphere of Hoop Dee Doo Revue and adding to the fact that the Backyard Barbecue is already been eliminated.

The new resort will ruin sightlines, at a considerable amount of traffic and who knows what else all of which will destroy the atmosphere of the campgrounds.

That is kind of like comparing apples to his. I think everyone realizes that RC isn't coming back and are more or less okay with that. The worry people have is that the new resort is going to ruin the entire atmosphere of Fort Wilderness As Well as the atmosphere of Hoop Dee Doo Revue and adding to the fact that the Backyard Barbecue is already been eliminated.

The new resort will ruin sightlines, at a considerable amount of traffic and who knows what else all of which will destroy the atmosphere of the campgrounds.

Yep I get that. I was just wondering if when the water park was there (or if they were to bring it back) was about as intrusive as this resort will be, or worse, or better.

Last edited:
Yep I get that. I was just wondering if when the water park was there (or if they were to bring it back) was about as intrusive as this resort will be, or worse, or better.
River Country wasn’t intrusive at all. It was tucked away, but also followed the Ft. Wilderness theme seamlessly. It was basically part of Ft. Wilderness.
One of the big misconceptions people are having is that the new resort will only cover the old River Country location.
You can fit about 20 River Country’s in the footprint of Reflections (the new resort).
So “intrusive” is a good word to use... we shall see. Landscaping is going to have a lot of work to do! Lol!

River Country wasn’t intrusive at all. It was tucked away, but also followed the Ft. Wilderness theme seamlessly. It was basically part of Ft. Wilderness.
One of the big misconceptions people are having is that the new resort will only cover the old River Country location.
You can fit about 20 River Country’s in the footprint of Reflections (the new resort).
So “intrusive” is a good word to use... we shall see. Landscaping is going to have a lot of work to do! Lol!

Hopefully the landscaping at Reflections will be more effective than the landscaping at toy story land at HS.

I see, it looks like thousands of extra people were basically in FW for RC. I didn't realize it was that separated. I'm not even sure where they parked or if they filtered into FW at all.

Then yes it will be interesting to see how intrusive it becomes, and how they can separate it off.

I see, it looks like thousands of extra people were basically in FW for RC. I didn't realize it was that separated. I'm not even sure where they parked or if they filtered into FW at all.

Then yes it will be interesting to see how intrusive it becomes, and how they can separate it off.
From what I’ve heard you used to have to park in the entrance of the fort and then take a tram (in the early days they had the train) back to RC

I’m assuming this is gonna run up along the lake toward WL since there’s so much room that way? Makes sense to me

Wow that is huge. RC appears to be about 200 yards square, slightly smaller than WL, So 20 W Lodges?

Thousands? Nah... River Country was pretty small, and that was one of its many problems. It would reach capacity pretty quick, and they didn’t stuff them like Disney does now. Although it’s known as the first water park... it was kind of known as the pool for Ft wilderness. It was fun but it’s just a tad over glorified, it wasn’t very safe (to today’s standards)... and most of it was lake water. Yes we swam in Bay Lake and Seven Seas Lagoon back then! I don’t remember alligators and brain eating amoebas back then, like today! Lol!
You have to remember Disney World was a very very very different place in the earlier years. Resort wise there was only Ft. Wilderness, Contemporary, Poly and Disney Village. Before Epcot, there was only MK... some days it felt like there were only 1000 people in the park. Really!!! WDW really wasn’t the world known destination it is now. In fact in just the past 15-20 years the number of daily guests at MK has doubled. That’s why you wait in line for 2 hours for PeterPan... I honestly do not remember “wait times” when I was a kid, I don’t think that was thing. I’m an old head... I still look at Big Thunder as the new ride. Let that sink in for a minute.

(Back to River Country)- you would take the boats from contemporary and poly, or park up front in the lot. They had a pretty cool train back in the day that would get you there. It was deemed too hazardous for pedestrians. they had a tram... which is much more fun than a bus!! Let’s not forget golf carts...

Wow that is huge. RC appears to be about 200 yards square, slightly smaller than WL, So 20 W Lodges?
I corrected that to about 15... not 20. I’m not really using a true scale of measurement. I don’t have the exact measurements of River Country, so I’m basing that on areal photos. Also the loosely based number of 15 includes the entire footprint... not just the lodge. Let your imagination do the rest!:jester:

I corrected that to about 15... not 20. I’m not really using a true scale of measurement. I don’t have the exact measurements of River Country, so I’m basing that on areal photos. Also the loosely based number of 15 includes the entire footprint... not just the lodge. Let your imagination do the rest!:jester:

Yea I looked on Google Earth and there is a lot of area unused back there.

Maybe they can put the Resort on the water but keep all the parking etc to the south and west. Prob depends on roads etc.

Might not be too bad that way.

Curious to see the final plan, esp as a DVC member that can stay there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter