New England style hot dog buns

[QUOTE="THERE IS NO MARSHMALLOW FLUFF IN THE WEST?? Yes, I can get that easily. Should I add it? QUOTE]

No fluff in the west :-( My son is in CA and just asked me to send him some.

I got used to them when I moved from South Carolina to Massachusetts and they were good. But now that I live in New Jersey where the "traditional" hot dog bun is all I see, I'm ok with it. In other words, I can live without them.

Im shocked at the lack of grocery stores throughout the areas here. We have within 2 miles: Shoprite, Whole Foods, Moms Organic, Wegmans, Acme, Aldi Walmart and BJ's (soon to come Lidl) I guess I should never complain that the stores don't have anything.

I got used to them when I moved from South Carolina to Massachusetts and they were good. But now that I live in New Jersey where the "traditional" hot dog bun is all I see, I'm ok with it. In other words, I can live without them.

I liver here too== and i see these NE style everywhere.. sometimes it's all Wegmans has! Whole foods, Wegmans and Shoprite all have them

I liver here too== and i see these NE style everywhere.. sometimes it's all Wegmans has! Whole foods, Wegmans and Shoprite all have them

South Jersey here....I'll have to look at Shoprite (which I rarely go to) and Acme.

I didn't realize this was a thing. When I've seen that type of roll in the past it's always been with a Lobster/Crab Roll. I assumed that they were called a Lobster Roll.

I'm from the Midwest by the way which is probably why I didn't know it was more generic than just a seafood container. LOL

I'm also from the Midwest (Ohio). Our local grocery store carries the top-sliced-and-no-side-crust hot dog buns. I buy them whenever I buy hot dog buns. They are just the store brand (Meijer). I had no idea they were "New England Style" though. They are just labeled "top sliced hot dog buns."

I'm surprised Wegmans calls them "New England" since they are a NY based company and NY is not considered part of New England. I have always heard them called that growing up in CT as well. We have other grocery stores too, but I don't know anyone that goes to them. :) Discussing Wegmans is an entirely different conversation (one I think that has been on here before.) Here's a fun re-cap if you have never been. http://www.businessinsider.com/revi...ized-wegmans-isnt-just-large-its-a-behemoth-3 (My local store also has a drop in child watch, cooking classes, a Halloween party, Breakfast with Santa, free meeting rooms, Friday night live music.. I could go on and on.)
41046.jpg

Completely oblivious Michigander and Metro Detroiter here who had to look up what this is. Personally have never heard of it or seen it in a store in the area. I've asked a couple people who came through the office this afternoon and it seems I am in good company here in camp clueless. I'm guessing if I would ask someone with roots in that area they'll know exactly what it is. I wish it were available here, it sounds preferable to the hot dog buns we're used to.

I did ask another family in CO but she wasn't sure, and she said she'd look in the store. I know nothing about my daughter's host family other then the mom cooks every night (although my daughter thinks it's from Blue Apron) and they have two boys ages 10 and 15. I don't know if they have ever lived or visited anywhere else. They are also super nice and have taken great care of her. I never expected this to be a 3 page thread.. I'll add the rolls to the basket. If the family is not impressed.. well they'll have some white bread to snack on when they run out. They might think everything I bring is strange.. but I really have no better ideas. I'm certainly open to them.. Thanks!

Are people out west familiar with these? I know my mom has trouble finding them in FL.. we are putting together an "East Coast" basket for my daughter's host family in CO.

We are going to put in some things that I know are just local, and this was my kid's only idea, but I don't want to put them in if they are everywhere.

(If you don't know.. they are just hot dog buns with no crust on the sides. They are also used for lobster and clam rolls.)

I'm open to other ideas if you are a west coast transplant and can think of things that are more readily available here in NY.

Thanks!

Pepperidge Farms makes them. They are top sliced hotdog buns. My publix in South Florida carried them. At least they used to.

As far as other ideas, when a friend went to New England she brought back maple sugar candy for all of us to try. It was really good and it's not something that's common around here.

pryncess: Yes, it's really interesting what is regional. I had no idea these rolls were so rare until my mother starting bringing them home with her to FL. (I'll have to tell her to check Publix again.) We don't ever butter and toast them at home, but they are still worlds better then the fat, crusty ones. They are all over the place too.. it's not like it's just one unique brand. Nkereina: I don't think Tahou's and Schaller's sell their sauce.. is there another one you would recommend? Bill Grey's? Do you think that would be better then Dinosaur BBQ sauce? Why are we only known for gross food? The "garbage plate" is so famous here that the local baseball team changed their name for a day. Maybe I should bring a few NY apples to soften the junk? http://www.democratandchronicle.com...gs-change-name-honor-garbage-plate/450843001/

We couldn't believe we found them. It was one brand in the whole aisle. I feel like it was pepperidge farm.

I am totally shocked that these are called New England style hot dog buns lol. I have been seeing them in my local grocery store for the past couple years and I thought they were just kind of cheap and skimpy on the bun lol. They don't call them New England here but I forget what the label said. I have continued to buy the regular buns though, these didn't seem sturdy enough to hold the toppings!

I am totally shocked that these are called New England style hot dog buns lol. I have been seeing them in my local grocery store for the past couple years and I thought they were just kind of cheap and skimpy on the bun lol. They don't call them New England here but I forget what the label said. I have continued to buy the regular buns though, these didn't seem sturdy enough to hold the toppings!

I really don't see a need for them either. If I want my hot dog on a slice of bread folded over, it's far cheaper to use the slice of bread.

I'm surprised Wegmans calls them "New England" since they are a NY based company and NY is not considered part of New England.

I think Wegmans calls them New England style because that's what they are to the rest of the country who is familiar with them, outside of New England. I would think it would be more odd if they called them New England style IN New England. Just like people who do not live in Buffalo call wings Buffalo Wings - here in Buffalo, they are simply wings or chicken wings. No one ever refers to them as Buffalo Wings in Buffalo.

sponge candy (a Buffalo thing)

I love sponge candy! Didn't know it was from Buffalo. Used to have it once in a while as a special treat when I was a kid; we got it from Loft's candy shop (shop that sold fancy chocolates by the pound) here in the NYC area. Those type of candy shops are mostly gone (Loft's, Schrafft's, Barricini, etc.) but Trader Joe's now sells sponge candy and it's really good.

Also had no idea that marshmallow Fluff was a regional product. I was never a fluffernutter fan, but we used it to make fudge.

I really don't see a need for them either. If I want my hot dog on a slice of bread folded over, it's far cheaper to use the slice of bread.

Bread flops open. These have a flat bottom and the hot dog sits in it tightly so everything stays together. It's also a bit thicker and more substantial than a piece of bread, but it has a lot less crust than a traditional roll.

It's always fun to have options.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter