New enhanced US security measures - any experiences?

Canadiancat

Earning My Ears
I'm traveling to Orlando in September with an hour connection through Montreal. I am starting to feel concerned about the new security measures for flights to the states. We have done this route a few years ago with no problems but that was before the new measures

We have an early morning flight and I am considering staying the night in Montreal before our flights to Orlando, but that will be an additional expense for our (already expensive trip) and am not thrilled at this idea. At the same time, the reduced stress might be worth it if our flight to Montreal is delayed.

Anyone have any experience with the new security measures?

I'm traveling to Orlando in September with an hour connection through Montreal. I am starting to feel concerned about the new security measures for flights to the states. We have done this route a few years ago with no problems but that was before the new measures

We have an early morning flight and I am considering staying the night in Montreal before our flights to Orlando, but that will be an additional expense for our (already expensive trip) and am not thrilled at this idea. At the same time, the reduced stress might be worth it if our flight to Montreal is delayed.

Anyone have any experience with the new security measures?

No personal experience but just read this on the CATSA website (http://www.catsa.gc.ca/breezethrough):

ALERT – Enhanced screening measures are in effect. Passengers will continue to be randomly selected for additional screening, which will now include screening of their electronic devices. If selected, you will be asked to remove any covers or protective cases from your electronic devices before inspection, and may be asked to show that they can be powered up. Before travel, you should:
  • Make sure your cases can be easily removed, or are removed in advance, and
  • Ensure that any devices you are travelling with are chargedand can power up.
Note: Electronic devices that cannot be taken out of their cases or powered on when requested during enhanced screening will not be permitted beyond the screening checkpoint.
Based on this, it doesn't sound like everyone will be expected to remove their devices from their cases and power them on but it will be an addition to the already in-place, random screenings.

As long as you are there at least 2 hours before your flight, you should be fine - if it were me, I would also take my devices out of their cases and power them on ahead of time, just in case.

I flew home on Sat and they didn't ask me to turn on my devices but did ask if they were charged. No big delays . I don't think that the new requirements should hold up anything

There is talk of this new enhanced screening here as well...and the electrical devices they are talking about is anything bigger than a cell phone will need to be out of it's case and turned on. So cell phones for now don't require that you take them out of the cases...but any Ipad or similar device is subject to further inspection if they think they need to.
As annoying as it is, they must have a reason for it...and it's out safety in the end that matters. And yes....removing the cases is such an annoyance, but in the name of safety...They have their reasoning I guess.

No personal experience but just read this on the CATSA website (http://www.catsa.gc.ca/breezethrough):
As long as you are there at least 2 hours before your flight, you should be fine - if it were me, I would also take my devices out of their cases and power them on ahead of time, just in case.

thank you - unfortunately that is my concern. We are coming from NL to Montreal to Orlando and only have 1 hour in Montreal. I am concerned that we may miss our flight from Montreal. I know these are brand new measures as of yesterday but I am hoping over the next few weeks I can see if anyone has any experiences with this so we can decide what to do, if anything!

thank you - unfortunately that is my concern. We are coming from NL to Montreal to Orlando and only have 1 hour in Montreal. I am concerned that we may miss our flight from Montreal. I know these are brand new measures as of yesterday but I am hoping over the next few weeks I can see if anyone has any experiences with this so we can decide what to do, if anything!

Ah! I misunderstood! I am in NL too and have never flown through Montreal, and don't want to add fuel to the fire, but I would be concerned with a connection window that is that short...doesn't leave a lot of room for delays or back-ups at baggage or security.

One hour is cutting it short at the best of times, since you have to clear security again and clear US Customs. Add in the enhanced security and it will take more time.

We don't connect in Montreal, we prefer to do it in Toronto. We always allow at least two hours and prefer closer to three. Sometimes this means we sit for an hour at the gate, but other times it has meant we have about five minutes at the gate before boarding.

SW

I'm very nervous about this too. We switch planes in Toronto and have an hour and 20 min between flights.
But I imagine that we don't have to worry about checked luggage, as it is transferred directly from one plane to the other, am i right?

I'm very nervous about this too. We switch planes in Toronto and have an hour and 20 min between flights.
But I imagine that we don't have to worry about checked luggage, as it is transferred directly from one plane to the other, am i right?

It depends on which airline you are flying with - I use this as my go-to for Pearson: https://www.torontopearson.com/Connecting.aspx##

For example, Air Canada uses Terminal 1 - bags go right through; WestJet uses Terminal 3 - have to pick up and recheck your bags

Thanks for your feedback everyone! I am still interest to hear feedback here about the enhanced security measures.

I considered changing the first leg of our flight and staying overnight in Montreal, but it will "only" be around $60 to book an extra night at French Quarter compared to the airport hotels (we'll have to pay the airline change fee in either case!) so looks like we're going to disney early! :earsboy:

This is why we use a U.S. airline (Alaska) flying out of Vancouver. We go thru customs & security here and check bags straight thru. No worries about going thru customs and long lines for connecting flight mid trip. Going and get luggage, and re-checking.

I usually get to the airport 2 hrs early for morning flight to get thru the process, but now I saw recommendations for 3 hrs for morning flights :crazy2: Yuck. That will mean getting to airport at 3:00AM for a 6:00 flight. I still remember the days when we only had to show up an hour before flight!!

I wasn't flying anywhere yesterday but we did stay at the ALT hotel at Pearson and WOW .. it was crazy busy! We saw considerably more security staff wandering around, the lines in both terminal 1 and 3 were snaking around (decided to see if there was a difference or not) and a few of the flight crew heading over to the parking garage when we left at the end of the day were talking about some very upset passengers. Seems not everyone was aware of the increased screening and a few missed flights because they hadn't arrived in time. 90 minutes hasn't been suggested for a very long time but i guess some people still try to push it???

I have no idea if a Wednesday in the summer is usually this busy or if it was related to the increased security or not ... just going by what i saw. OP -- way to add an extra night in Disney as a side effect to flight *problems* We did the same thing in January due to an incoming freezing rain storm .. got notice from Westjet at 7 am the day before our flight and ended up in Disney THAT NIGHT for an extra $79.00 US !

I am worried now...We booked our flights back in May and while talking to an air Canada agent she said that an hour would be more than enough time to pass customs at that time in the morning (we get in to Montreal a little before 7 a.m. and our flight to Orlando takes off around 8 a.m.)
Now with the new procedure -I am starting to doubt our decision...mind you my fingers are crossed that things will not be as crazy when we are ready to leave (late November)

On AC flights to Europe with connections through Munich & Frankfurt, I know guests will speak to the flight attendants to let them know they have a tight turnaround time for their connection and sometimes the flight attendants will let them disembark before the rest of guests in coach to let them have a few mins jump. Some friendly AC flight attendants will also alert AC/partner airlines desk that AC guests are enroute & to please hold the connecting flight for as long as possible. Something to consider. If it buys you an extra 10mins, I'd do it if concerned.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to read about the new security measures? We are crossing into Buffalo and flying out of there in November and I haven't heard about these new measures before.

This is why we use a U.S. airline (Alaska) flying out of Vancouver. We go thru customs & security here and check bags straight thru. No worries about going thru customs and long lines for connecting flight mid trip. Going and get luggage, and re-checking.

I usually get to the airport 2 hrs early for morning flight to get thru the process, but now I saw recommendations for 3 hrs for morning flights :crazy2: Yuck. That will mean getting to airport at 3:00AM for a 6:00 flight. I still remember the days when we only had to show up an hour before flight!!

US customs doesn't open at YVR until 4:30am so I don't really think you need to be at YVR for 3am! We have never been at YVR 3 hours before our flight, no matter how early it is (although spending the night at the Fairmont Airport does help :thumbsup2).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter