If they went to paid fastpasses I'm guessing they would still offer free ones to disney hotel guest as they still have to offer advantages to them or why stay onsite. Could be something like 4 fastpass (including 2 tier 1 fastpasses) to deluxe, 3 to moderate (including 1 tier 1 fastpass) and 2 to valuehotels . Then you can also buy extra fastpasses upto 4 total a day including free ones

Rat is a great ride and worth a fast pass is it tier 1 probably more so then Frozen for ride quality. I enjoyed it in Paris this year as for Mary Poppins, I dont think we know enough about it to make that decision. Epcot is also a different beast though than Hollywood Studios, for some of us, Epcot is less about the rides and more about the festivals and experiences. Im not talking about drinking around the world here. I suspect Guardians of the Galaxy will also be a teir 1. As for the rest of the rides. I could see the need to actually make either soarin or test track a teir 2 after the rest of Epcot is done being reimagined. This would be a few years off but Soarin in itself has multiple theaters and its show building is pretty empty and could easily be a people eater once newer attractions are available. I know not everyone might agree but give it time if they keep the fast pass system as it is, I really think it could be a inevitable tier 2
I agree that Soarin could/should be a Tier 2. It’s not as popular as it used to be and it’s not that hard to get. I guess if it’s tier 2 day of availability might be much harder but right now it’s not.

This thread seems to be coming at FP as a means to line control, and paid FP as a way to make money for Disney. Granted, it's probably very tempting to Disney (since they're grabbing every dime they can these days), but I'm not convinced Disney would be willing to risk losing the data harvesting that comes with pre-booked FP for everyone. By booking FP, most guests are locking themselves into choosing a park and the rough schedule of their days a month or two in advance. I'm sure Disney uses the data to make staffing decisions, etc. that arguably saves the company money by using the fewest CMs possible and putting them where they'll be most useful. While I agree that Disney has not monetized FP as much as they can, I don't see the "free" FP going away yet.

Last edited:
There are finite amount of FP+ each attraction can have each day. They can’t just open it up to purchasing without limiting then and then perhaps persuading guests to skip the parks altogether.

There are finite amount of FP+ each attraction can have each day. They can’t just open it up to purchasing without limiting then and then perhaps persuading guests to skip the parks altogether.
There’s a price point they could do it at. Universal does it that way. I’m sure the price point would be extreme and I really hope they don’t ever do something like a straight paid line-cut system, but they certainly could do it if they wanted to.

There’s a price point they could do it at. Universal does it that way. I’m sure the price point would be extreme and I really hope they don’t ever do something like a straight paid line-cut system, but they certainly could do it if they wanted to.
I think this is what the club level does. Disney makes more money getting people to pony up for the really expensive rooms, and then pay on top of that than they would if they just straight up sold FP.

Universal’s system is a bit different. The express line moves faster than the regular standby line, but when it’s busy, the wait is longer than the FP lines at Disney. I don’t know the algorithm for letting express line go vs standby, but it doesn’t seem to prioritize those guests to the extent that FP typically does.

Rat is a great ride and worth a fast pass is it tier 1 probably more so then Frozen for ride quality. I enjoyed it in Paris this year as for Mary Poppins, I dont think we know enough about it to make that decision. Epcot is also a different beast though than Hollywood Studios, for some of us, Epcot is less about the rides and more about the festivals and experiences. Im not talking about drinking around the world here. I suspect Guardians of the Galaxy will also be a teir 1. As for the rest of the rides. I could see the need to actually make either soarin or test track a teir 2 after the rest of Epcot is done being reimagined. This would be a few years off but Soarin in itself has multiple theaters and its show building is pretty empty and could easily be a people eater once newer attractions are available. I know not everyone might agree but give it time if they keep the fast pass system as it is, I really think it could be a inevitable tier 2
Soarin I think could definitely be a tier 2 when it all shakes out because the crowd control for that is much better with the third theaters. Even today, when the park is super busy the wait is only listed around an hour

Mickey's Runaway Train doesn't have fastpasses. We're already in the 60 day window for booking for some guests who have reported that it's not an option.

Doesn't have Fastpasses YET - nothing from stopping them turning on FPs for it at any point

Not saying they will (I suspect they will go no FP/virtual queue for a bit at least) just that the fact they don't currently have FPs for it doesn't 100% mean it won't have it when it opens

I would be very surprised if Disney ever goes the route of all FPs being paid (so like a paid express pass like they have at Universal). I could see something where everyone gets a certain amount for free included and then any extra beyond that you pay for or something

I thing Disney likes to still be able to market that everyone who pays for a park ticket has access to the same experiences (just that you can get "extra" if you pay more but the "base" experience is the same for everyone)

I also think you can mix having advance FPs with a virtual queue for the standby line to avoid those 4+ hour standby lines but still have FP for those that can get it (and motivate people to stay onsite and stay inside for longer periods).

Then the virtual queue basically becomes like the old FP- for getting "day of" access

Really in an ideal world, the theme park of tomorrow should only have virtual queue's, allowing guests to spend their time (and money) in other huger venues in the park.

I agree with you, and i'm actually surprised that Disney hasn't pushed this technology hard. After all, when you are standing in long queue lines, you're not buying food and drinks or shopping at the stores.....

I agree with you, and i'm actually surprised that Disney hasn't pushed this technology hard. After all, when you are standing in long queue lines, you're not buying food and drinks or shopping at the stores.....
I think one barrier is that they need to increase capacity at the non-attraction venues. The lines are big people-eaters right now. If nobody was in a queue at all then the restaurants and shops would quickly fill up beyond capacity.

So no FP+ tier changes for HS announced with MMRR opening in March 4? Some people should be able to get FP+ for that day by now. I think the FP+ tier situation at HS now is terrible. It was great during that short period that both RnR and ToT were in tier 2...

I read on another website that the virtual queue is actually diminishing the attendance levels at DHS and that WDW will eventually phase it out and do FP for the Star Wars rides. We did the boarding groups the first week that the ride was opened before the new procedure was in place. We were able to do a couple of rides, eat lunch, and go back to our hotel room before our BG was called. We then went back and rode the ride and left to go to the Christmas party at the MK. We also noticed that Smuggler's Run was a walk-on at the end of the evening (we did it two nights of our stay). I like the BGs for the fact that it is fair to everyone wanting to do the ride, and the new procedure has hopefully relieved total chaos that we experienced at the turnstiles; but I wonder how this will all shake out once the Christmas crowds have eased up. I can see FP options for both rides to be released when the new Runaway Railway ride opens at DHS.

I went to a water park with paid "Fastpasses" - and it was horrid. Pay through the nose to get in and then wait in hour long lines unless you're willing to cough up more money? I hope that Disney can and will make FoP, SDD and 7DMT virtual queue rides. When I was in line for FoP in early December a couple ahead of me had friends cut in front just before boarding. So annoying. A virtual queue might prevent that.

Agree with previous posters that all new rides will have virtual queues, or no fast passes. It does seem to make wiat times for MFSR shorter later in the day. Also agree with PP's that Disney will eventually do an upcharge, and charge for fast passes for the rides based on their popularity This will be an unpopular move, just as charging for parking at the resorts, cutting back on street entertainment, etc. But Disney can and does get way with it. I feel it will have one advantage, managing expectations. If I know I most likely can't get on a ride before I get to the World, I can plan accordingly. Now I am just hoping for my March trip I can join two boarding groups on the same day for MMRR and RotR-as I cold not get FP for SDD at 60+4 or FOP at 60+1 (no surprise there).

So no FP+ tier changes for HS announced with MMRR opening in March 4? Some people should be able to get FP+ for that day by now. I think the FP+ tier situation at HS now is terrible. It was great during that short period that both RnR and ToT were in tier 2...

I saw a few reports from people that can make FPs for that time period that no FPs for MMRR and no reported tier changes (doesn't mean they can't add FPs for MMRR at any point but nothing yet)

I agree that Soarin could/should be a Tier 2. It’s not as popular as it used to be and it’s not that hard to get. I guess if it’s tier 2 day of availability might be much harder but right now it’s not.
I would think it would remain Tier 1 through the Test Track refurb and the Ratatouille opening. Then it will probably be Tier 2.

What if, for virtual queues, Disney didn't give them all out right at park opening. What if they randomly dispersed them throughout the day and by chance you were able to pick one up on your phone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!