New Gondola ride and ECVs?

It's like the weight limits for elevators - both "public" and "service" elevators have a stated capacity - and that capacity is often what appears to be a ridiculously high number, because otherwise we would all be doing math every time a loaded elevator needs to go up or down.

The weight limits on the gondolas/gondola system as a whole will surely be *well* above the "worst case" scenario; the Imagineers are well aware of what that number needs to be - from a low average to a high average, to a worst case scenario, the weight limit will surely be in excess of anything that is ordinary reached.

I think most elevators have alarms that go off when the weight/capacity has been exceeded. I suspect the gondolas will have the same thing.

Thanks - that makes me feel a bit better - heights and enclosed spaces are an issue for me, and having known a CPCM or two, I'm not thinking they are super-trained for some jobs. If I ever end up taking my mom for one more trip, she'd be in an ECV, and we'd be at Pop Century. Hopefully I'll be brave enough to trust the CMs and try the gondola with her!

But when do you see a skier with 170 lbs of equipment? And I see much larger people at WDW than I do on the ski slopes. I just wonder how they are going to coordinate the weights of ECVs, etc, with the limit on each gondola. And who is going to make the call on the size of the group that gets on each gondola.
Basically how modern Gondola Systems are normally designed is to accommodate x number of people. Then they calculate out the weight from there by using absurdly large weights (usually 300 pounds) per person. Yes, there may be some that weigh more and some less, but overall it is a high number for design purposes, especially in a place where a large percentage will be children.

So it would be something akin to we are designing for 50 people per gondola, so that would be 50 * 300 lbs. = 15,000 lbs per gondola. Now I am not saying that is what the design will or won't be, it is just an example.

Do you really think Disney would start building and then decide who they want for the gondola manufacturing?
They have certainly done stranger things and then there is always the possibility of the company going under before delivering all of the gondolas....it happens, so no, I don't think we can safely assume they already have that nailed down. It is possible, but it is equally possible they don't know.

Thanks - that makes me feel a bit better - heights and enclosed spaces are an issue for me, and having known a CPCM or two, I'm not thinking they are super-trained for some jobs. If I ever end up taking my mom for one more trip, she'd be in an ECV, and we'd be at Pop Century. Hopefully I'll be brave enough to trust the CMs and try the gondola with her!
I am not a height person either, but I do understand that a Gondola system will be far safer than buses, boats or even the monorails, as due to the nature of their design it is very difficult to impossible for them to get into accidents.

But when do you see a skier with 170 lbs of equipment? And I see much larger people at WDW than I do on the ski slopes. I just wonder how they are going to coordinate the weights of ECVs, etc, with the limit on each gondola. And who is going to make the call on the size of the group that gets on each gondola.
You're still thinking in a scale like the old skyway ride or a ski lift. Take a look at the Roosevelt Island Tramway in NYC and figure that whatever Disney is planning is going to be built more like public transportation (a la Roosevelt Island Tram) and less like a ski lift ride.

I am not a height person either, but I do understand that a Gondola system will be far safer than buses, boats or even the monorails, as due to the nature of their design it is very difficult to impossible for them to get into accidents.

It's my understanding that these will actually ride lower than the Monorails; I honestly can't remember where I saw that specification, but I was surprised by it. It was in the context of "what if the gondola had to be evacuated", and the reply was that these were being designed to run approx 20 feet off the hard deck, so in the unlikely event that they did have to evacuate one or more gondola cars on a line, they could use readily available commercial cherry pickers, etc. to do so. Don't take that 20 foot number as gospel - that could have been speculation on someone else's part that they presented as fact.

Regardless, gondolas hang *under* the wire - so even if the wires (or the tops of the towers) are 35 or 40 feet tall, the gondola itself will be lower by design.

@DisneyOma maybe we will get to see some good POV (point of view) video before your next trip; that might help you feel a lot more comfortable with it - or at least know if it's something you want to try.

See, I feel much safer on a boat (having been on them my whole life) than hanging from a wire above the ground. I know how to swim. I don't know how to fly.

It's my understanding that these will actually ride lower than the Monorails; I honestly can't remember where I saw that specification, but I was surprised by it. It was in the context of "what if the gondola had to be evacuated", and the reply was that these were being designed to run approx 20 feet off the hard deck, so in the unlikely event that they did have to evacuate one or more gondola cars on a line, they could use readily available commercial cherry pickers, etc. to do so. Don't take that 20 foot number as gospel - that could have been speculation on someone else's part that they presented as fact.

The story posted on Disney's blog (here) gives a different impression. The concept art shows the cable angling skyward once out of the station and there is a quote about guests heading to epcot will have a "bird's-eye view"

As for evacuations, it seems that problems necessitating evacuation are pretty rare. There was a 50-ish person gondola evacuated in New Hampshire last year that involved lowering the occupants on ropes and harness. Otherwise, it's just pretty rare. Like, I found more stories of people being bisected by malfunctioning elevators. So ... now I have that in my head forever.

See, I feel much safer on a boat (having been on them my whole life) than hanging from a wire above the ground. I know how to swim. I don't know how to fly.
It's sort of the highway vs. passenger jet comparrison. For a 500 mile trip, taking a plane is far safer; for a lot of the same reasons.

There's traffic to deal with in a boat. And even if you can swim, you won't be alone; you'll look very grab-able to all those folks who don't know how to swim.

I know... real "ray of sunshine" stuff.

It's sort of the highway vs. passenger jet comparrison. For a 500 mile trip, taking a plane is far safer; for a lot of the same reasons.

There's traffic to deal with in a boat. And even if you can swim, you won't be alone; you'll look very grab-able to all those folks who don't know how to swim.

I know... real "ray of sunshine" stuff.

I know how to rescue/stay safe in water. I won't be grab-able. I've been in boat accidents, almost fell between a boat and a dock while working, etc. It's the 'I have no powers against gravity' part - I know the statistics, doesn't mean something can't happen, just the likelihood. If I end up in a situation, I'd just rather be on water, where there is a better chance for survival, than dropping 20 feet (or crashing out of the sky) and dealing with gravity.

Do you really think Disney would start building and then decide who they want for the gondola manufacturing?

I don't think so. That isn't how construction projects work. Before construction was ever started their were project managers, general contractors, and architects all working on the exact specifications, costs and timelines related to this project.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter