[New] - Help deciding on most cost efficient route to DVC!

igraham1341

Earning My Ears
Hi Everyone,

We are new to the board here and hoping that someone might be able to help us with different considerations for our situation that might be the most cost efficient route to DVC!

Our Situation: (*Canadian in Ontario*)
Typical travel will be myself and my wife, and eventually a kiddo, I think we'd like to aim for 1-Bedrooms but could easily make studios work just fine
We do not really have any travel date restrictions at this time, pretty flexible
We are undecided on Direct Vs. Resale but we are leaning toward minimum purchase to get the benefits
Unsure if annual passes make sense for us?
Anything else I'm missing that can help up decide what to do?
Is now the right time to buy resale?

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the info the board has already provided us!

Last edited:
If you want the Direct minimum, do it quick. The whispers are that it will be going up soon. That said, getting a small package resale is sometimes a good way to start, that is what I did. There are lots of sellers out there right now, so it might be a good time to buy.

If you want the Direct minimum, do it quick. The whispers are that it will be going up soon. That said, getting a small package resale is sometimes a good way to start, that is what I did. There are lots of sellers out there right now, so it might be a good time to buy.

Thanks! that's good to know for sure,
would you have any advice on how many points we should consider for our first, smaller contract? (Considering just the two of us for now)

Thanks! that's good to know for sure,
would you have any advice on how many points we should consider for our first, smaller contract? (Considering just the two of us for now)

Look at points charts and figure out how many points you think you would need. Every resort has different point requirements and different times of the year.

Also consider future times of travel. You say there will eventually be a "kiddo" but that you are flexible on dates. Will you be able to be flexible once your child enters school? But also think long-range. When do you think you will like to travel when you are empty-nesters again (if you choose a resort with an expiration that far out)? Your times of travel will determine the best Use Years for you.

If you are sure APs are your way to go, would you really need to buy direct to get the benefits? The biggest benefit to being a blue card member is the discount on APs.

Also consider future times of travel. You say there will eventually be a "kiddo" but that you are flexible on dates. Will you be able to be flexible once your child enters school? But also think long-range. When do you think you will like to travel when you are empty-nesters again (if you choose a resort with an expiration that far out)? Your times of travel will determine the best Use Years for you.

If you are sure APs are your way to go, would you really need to buy direct to get the benefits? The biggest benefit to being a blue card member is the discount on APs.

Thanks! that's a good point, who knows what school will look like in the future, so that would make us more likely to be summer travelers for sure. Do you have a suggestion on how to choose a use year based on if we said we wanted to travel in July/August?

Does an annual pass make sense with for just two of us going once a year? do you have to buy an annual pass for each family member, or does one annual pass cover the family?

Annual passes only become cost effective if you are staying for at least 12 straight days, or have multiple trips that make up between 8 and 10 days per annual period. There are other considerations that may make an annual pass attractive to you:
1. Photopass is included
2. There are discounts at various places to eat, and on merchandise. These discounts often overlap with the Disney Visa and the "blue card" (direct) DVC discounts.
3. Free magnet at the various Epcot festivals

I didn't see where you talked about what resort you're looking for as your "home". Many people don't realize they can buy any resort, even the old ones, directly from Disney (albeit at a premium over resale pricing). My wife and I, Disneyworld fans for 40 years, stayed at multiple resorts to figure out what was best for us (we ended up buying at Bay Lake Towers).

If you've stayed in a hotel room at Disney, and thought that was ok, you'll be fine in a studio. When your child is young, I doubt you'll think the studio is "too small" either. It may take you years before you "need" a one bedroom, so factor that into your decision making process.

As for the number of points, that will be driven by how many nights you want to stay. Once you have decided on a resort, use the points charts to determine how many points are required for your typical stay. Don't plan on getting the "value" category of accommodations or "tower studios"-they are relatively few in number and high in demand. For me, at BLT, I came up with about 160 points for a week's stay. I then looked at Disney's direct pricing, and the resale price, and made a decision to buy resale. It took a few months to find that "Cinderella" contract (right use year, right number of points, with current year points available, at the right price), and I pounced on it. Since then, I've done a number of direct add-ons (each under 50 points) to be able to extend my stays (we decided 11 or 12 nights to be optimum for us), and got blue card status.

Annual passes only become cost effective if you are staying for at least 12 straight days, or have multiple trips that make up between 8 and 10 days per annual period. There are other considerations that may make an annual pass attractive to you:
1. Photopass is included
2. There are discounts at various places to eat, and on merchandise. These discounts often overlap with the Disney Visa and the "blue card" (direct) DVC discounts.
3. Free magnet at the various Epcot festivals

I didn't see where you talked about what resort you're looking for as your "home". Many people don't realize they can buy any resort, even the old ones, directly from Disney (albeit at a premium over resale pricing). My wife and I, Disneyworld fans for 40 years, stayed at multiple resorts to figure out what was best for us (we ended up buying at Bay Lake Towers).

If you've stayed in a hotel room at Disney, and thought that was ok, you'll be fine in a studio. When your child is young, I doubt you'll think the studio is "too small" either. It may take you years before you "need" a one bedroom, so factor that into your decision making process.

As for the number of points, that will be driven by how many nights you want to stay. Once you have decided on a resort, use the points charts to determine how many points are required for your typical stay. Don't plan on getting the "value" category of accommodations or "tower studios"-they are relatively few in number and high in demand. For me, at BLT, I came up with about 160 points for a week's stay. I then looked at Disney's direct pricing, and the resale price, and made a decision to buy resale. It took a few months to find that "Cinderella" contract (right use year, right number of points, with current year points available, at the right price), and I pounced on it. Since then, I've done a number of direct add-ons (each under 50 points) to be able to extend my stays (we decided 11 or 12 nights to be optimum for us), and got blue card status.

Thank you, that is great advice, being from Canada, I don't think we can get the Disney Visa, but I think there's something called the "Tables of Disney" which we could get, i think? that would give us discounts with food. The Magnets are cool, but not likely worth any benefit cost wise.

I mean, we would love Animal Kingdom, Boardwalk, but even Copper Creek looks, though I don't know too much about the others.

I don't disagree with OP regarding buying a smallish resale, however you do pay a premium. When you decide which DVC you are interested in look at the price for contracts in the 100+ range on all the resale sites you can find. That "average" price should give you more of a target price along with the ROFR thread here on disboards. I continue to buy 100 or less contracts, but I target lingering contracts I can better negotiate on. I've also been doing this for 25 years, so I can do the math quickly. Digging in and doing your homework will pay off for you as you want to get that offer in quickly and move on if you don't get it. I will pay a bit of a premium for a small contract but not $20 or $30 more PP. I always buy knowing my contract is worth more in a flip than I paid for it (and I have profitably flipped many contracts over the years).

Your UY can be an issue depending on when you go. This year, lots of people with expiring spring points were caught off-guard and this could have happened to any of our UY's. We almost always go to WDW for Halloween so we have an Oct UY. We bought two more contracts at a different resort recently with a June UY. Though not ideal, we couldn't find anything for Oct and it will work for us as we are still in the 8 month banking window. UY's that have many available contracts will likely be more competitive - supply and demand. Do some thinking about UY before you jump and understand banking and borrowing (50% currently). IMO loaded contracts with banked 2019 points have a value if you have time to rent or use them before they expire. I buy loaded and rent, however the rental market isn't as good as it was for obvious reasons. One of my new contracts has 2019 points (seller paid MF's) I will rent and that will bring my PP price down accordingly since it is all profit except the taxes I pay on the income. This has been my MO over the years and reduced my out of pocket dramatically.

Direct vs resale. 100 point minimum is going to 125 at the end of September from the info I got directly from my DVC Guide on Monday. It is still considered a rumor here, but I have no reason to think he isn't telling the truth. Most people here will agree that buying your ideal resale contract first and then matching up direct after is easier as you are able to choose from the broad selection available and go after price. Unfortunately, the anticipated deadline throws a curveball for those going in that direction. AP's are not available right now, however my guide suggests they won't be going away permanently. That would IMO kill direct and I hope DVC clarifies this soon.

After a dip this spring the asking prices seem to be rising steadily but I'm also seeing lots of contracts lingering and being reduced (those are my targets). I just read today that the ROFR train has started again (thread on disboards) but I wouldn't let that hold you back from making a lower offer. Six contracts taken doesn't make or break the market IMO. If you want a 2021 trip, get moving now. You want the 11 month advantage.

To finish this lengthy answer, buy the resort you love and buy enough points to satisfy your needs even if you have to buy multiple contracts over the years. Spend some time at the kitchen table negotiating with each other and write down your dream contract and let the universe help you find it! :wizard:

I don't disagree with OP regarding buying a smallish resale, however you do pay a premium. When you decide which DVC you are interested in look at the price for contracts in the 100+ range on all the resale sites you can find. That "average" price should give you more of a target price along with the ROFR thread here on disboards. I continue to buy 100 or less contracts, but I target lingering contracts I can better negotiate on. I've also been doing this for 25 years, so I can do the math quickly. Digging in and doing your homework will pay off for you as you want to get that offer in quickly and move on if you don't get it. I will pay a bit of a premium for a small contract but not $20 or $30 more PP. I always buy knowing my contract is worth more in a flip than I paid for it (and I have profitably flipped many contracts over the years).

Your UY can be an issue depending on when you go. This year, lots of people with expiring spring points were caught off-guard and this could have happened to any of our UY's. We almost always go to WDW for Halloween so we have an Oct UY. We bought two more contracts at a different resort recently with a June UY. Though not ideal, we couldn't find anything for Oct and it will work for us as we are still in the 8 month banking window. UY's that have many available contracts will likely be more competitive - supply and demand. Do some thinking about UY before you jump and understand banking and borrowing (50% currently). IMO loaded contracts with banked 2019 points have a value if you have time to rent or use them before they expire. I buy loaded and rent, however the rental market isn't as good as it was for obvious reasons. One of my new contracts has 2019 points (seller paid MF's) I will rent and that will bring my PP price down accordingly since it is all profit except the taxes I pay on the income. This has been my MO over the years and reduced my out of pocket dramatically.

Direct vs resale. 100 point minimum is going to 125 at the end of September from the info I got directly from my DVC Guide on Monday. It is still considered a rumor here, but I have no reason to think he isn't telling the truth. Most people here will agree that buying your ideal resale contract first and then matching up direct after is easier as you are able to choose from the broad selection available and go after price. Unfortunately, the anticipated deadline throws a curveball for those going in that direction. AP's are not available right now, however my guide suggests they won't be going away permanently. That would IMO kill direct and I hope DVC clarifies this soon.

After a dip this spring the asking prices seem to be rising steadily but I'm also seeing lots of contracts lingering and being reduced (those are my targets). I just read today that the ROFR train has started again (thread on disboards) but I wouldn't let that hold you back from making a lower offer. Six contracts taken doesn't make or break the market IMO. If you want a 2021 trip, get moving now. You want the 11 month advantage.

To finish this lengthy answer, buy the resort you love and buy enough points to satisfy your needs even if you have to buy multiple contracts over the years. Spend some time at the kitchen table negotiating with each other and write down your dream contract and let the universe help you find it! :wizard:

Thank you so much for this response, there's a lot for me to unpack here, so I'm sure I'll be reading this over a couple of times!
I heard that before, buy resale first and then buy direct. this seems good especially since what we can afford now and then in 10 years will change, so we can be more fiscally responsible by adding points later when they make sense for us financially.
I think 100 pts for us right now might actually work well, but we still need to consider our UY and ultimate resort goals. Though I think we would be over the moon with the 3 mentioned above.
Lots to think about, but again, thank you!

We raised our children in the 1980’s before DVC, and I would have loved to have a one bedroom when the boys were small. They needed a nap, and with a single room that was very hard! You mention wanting one bedrooms, and you may want them sooner rather than later.

We raised our children in the 1980’s before DVC, and I would have loved to have a one bedroom when the boys were small. They needed a nap, and with a single room that was very hard! You mention wanting one bedrooms, and you may want them sooner rather than later.

That's a great point! I think we will likely get something small to start, and then add on a 50 point contract that will allow us to reach those one-bedrooms when our kid comes along,

Thanks! that's a good point, who knows what school will look like in the future, so that would make us more likely to be summer travelers for sure. Do you have a suggestion on how to choose a use year based on if we said we wanted to travel in July/August?

Does an annual pass make sense with for just two of us going once a year? do you have to buy an annual pass for each family member, or does one annual pass cover the family?
We were teachers when we bought into DVC in 2008. Our kids were 12 and 10. We bought a June UY because we thought we would always travel in the summer due to school. I learned after we bought in that I don't like being at WDW in the summer--too hot!!! So we started traveling over our Fall Break in October and then started taking trips over Christmas Break. Last year, we went over Thanksgiving Break because that was when everyone had college breaks and I refused to go in the summer. I now realize a September/October UY would have been a better fit for us. It would have allowed us to travel in the fall, around Christmas, and even spring. That's why I say really think about when you enjoy going and when it will be feasible with school. If you are set on going in summer, a June UY would be good.

We were teachers when we bought into DVC in 2008. Our kids were 12 and 10. We bought a June UY because we thought we would always travel in the summer due to school. I learned after we bought in that I don't like being at WDW in the summer--too hot!!! So we started traveling over our Fall Break in October and then started taking trips over Christmas Break. Last year, we went over Thanksgiving Break because that was when everyone had college breaks and I refused to go in the summer. I now realize a September/October UY would have been a better fit for us. It would have allowed us to travel in the fall, around Christmas, and even spring. That's why I say really think about when you enjoy going and when it will be feasible with school. If you are set on going in summer, a June UY would be good.

Good point, though we are pretty OK with heat, and June was where we were leaning, I think September-December might be best for our travels. Maybe an August UY affords us the best opportunity to be flexible?

Good point, though we are pretty OK with heat, and June was where we were leaning, I think September-December might be best for our travels. Maybe an August UY affords us the best opportunity to be flexible?
If you think you would travel in June, I would not go with an August UY. Instead get a June UY. That would be good for trips in June through December. With a June UY, you will need to bank by January 31. Trips during February, March, April, and May would be risky.

Hi Everyone,

We are new to the board here and hoping that someone might be able to help us with different considerations for our situation that might be the most cost efficient route to DVC!

Our Situation: (*Canadian in Ontario*)
Typical travel will be myself and my wife, and eventually a kiddo, I think we'd like to aim for 1-Bedrooms but could easily make studios work just fine
We do not really have any travel date restrictions at this time, pretty flexible
We are undecided on Direct Vs. Resale but we are leaning toward minimum purchase to get the benefits
Unsure if annual passes make sense for us?
Anything else I'm missing that can help up decide what to do?
Is now the right time to buy resale?

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the info the board has already provided us!
I would do June use year if you are planning to visit June-dec. depending on which resort you want as a home would depend on if resale or direct would be better price wise. I would get enough points for what you think you might do in the next couple of years. Plans can change and you can always add on.

Hey Neighbor!

Also a couple with no kids thus far and living in Toronto.

Here are my thoughts on your situation.

-June use year sounds best for you.

- I bought 200 resale points at SSR. i find this a great amount for flexibility for 2 adults year round to be able to stay for around 10 days a year and mix 1 bed room or studio. In hindsight I would only have been able to afford 125 direct and that would have limited when we would be able to go due to availability. More points means more to explore.

- if you are thinking of having kids avoid the contracts that end in 2042... just before the grandkid years.

- benefits are not great right now or guaranteed in the future. There is currently no moonlight magic, Annual passes dont seem like a good option for you (at least 10+ park days a year to make it pay). coming in from canada and the exchange can make things more expensive for us. i tend to wait for special offer Canadian resident tickets.

- SSR is great resort for our current situation. here is why i like it. 15 mins in an uber to the other orlando theme parks, walk to downtown disney and direct busses from disney springs to every Disney resort for dinner and exploring. Also always feels super quiet and in the latter stage of a refurb. low dues, 2057 expiration and very reasonable price per point on the resale market.

Good luck with your purchase. let me know if you have any specific questions about buying from Canada.

Last edited:
Hey Neighbor!

Also a couple with no kids thus far and living in Toronto.

Here are my thoughts on your situation.

-June use year sounds best for you.

- I bought 200 resale points at SSR. i find this a great amount for flexibility for 2 adults year round to be able to stay for around 10 days a year and mix 1 bed room or studio. In hindsight I would only have been able to afford 125 direct and that would have limited when we would be able to go due to availability. More points means more to explore.

- if you are thinking of having kids avoid the contracts that end in 2042... just before the grandkid years.

- benefits are not great right now or guaranteed in the future. There is currently no moonlight magic, Annual passes dont seem like a good option for you (at least 10+ park days a year to make it pay). coming in from canada and the exchange can make things more expensive for us. i tend to wait for special offer Canadian resident tickets.

- SSR is great resort for our current situation. here is why i like it. 15 mins in an uber to the other orlando theme parks, walk to downtown disney and direct busses from disney springs to every Disney resort for dinner and exploring. Also always feels super quiet and in the latter stage of a refurb. low dues, 2057 expiration and very reasonable price per point on the resale market.

Good luck with your purchase. let me know if you have any specific questions about buying from Canada.

Thanks, that's a great perspective, we hadn't really though about SSR, but I think we'll need to put it on the radar for the reasons you listed,

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter