New Here

MOMOFMNM

DIS Veteran
Hi, I am new here on the board and I just wanted to share my thoughts and feelings on special needs kids/adults...I took my first teaching job and started with the kids on Thursday. I have had some experience with special needs kids but not at this level, more on an early childhood level. I am now teaching high school...(I am an associate btw). I have kids with autism and downs in my class and can I just say...I have never in my life seen high school kids wanting to please me like they do!!! They work SO VERY HARD to learn, they want to learn and they are thankful for everyday and I have such joy and inspiration when I am with them. They are very very cool and I am lucky, they have taught me a lot in such a short time!! I can not wait to really get to know them and teach them! We start voc life programs in a couple weeks and I get to go to job sites with them and they are very excited to go! I think it is fabulous. I don't even look at my own kids like I used to anymore...I mean...now I am so much softer...kinder...and I do not expect perfection (although in class we have strict rules and they work very hard!!) but I mean in reguards to my own kids who do not have special needs...I used to get so irate when my dd would miss spelling words or forget something at school. Just a couple days with these great kids has really changed my outlook on life and I only wish we could all be so happy just to be alive and free! I am an emotional person so I thought I might get upset easily but I was wrong, I draw strength from them and I realize I am someone who can teach them skills for life! :wizard: I just wanted to share my news and let you all know I will be visiting here often to learn more about kids with special needs and their families too!! To be honest I never felt as though I had preconcieved notions about people with special needs but until I started being in their lives, did I realize maybe I did...and I am learning and growing from this. I think the biggest thing I have learned these past few days is these kids are like any other teens...they love sports, food, movies, they go to proms and date!! It is awesome...they don't want people to pitty them or do things for them. They dream and aspire to new heights!! The only difference is they have to work a thousand times harder at it, and they all take on the challenge. I am truely a changed woman. Not even years of going to mass twice a week has impacted me like these last two days. I am elated and feel very special to be able to help others who REALLY appreciate what I do for them, they are awesome...

thanks for listening to me babble about my students. I am very excited!! :banana:

WOW--how nice to read! My 7 year old ds is autistic, mentally retarded, adhd, dsi...and I hope he eventually has a high school teacher who cares as much as you do! Hats off for loving your "kids"!

Well, hi :wave:
We can tell you are excited :jumping1:

Thanks for sharing and welcome to disABILITIES :wave:

Thanks for your post! Only a few people just have the gift of working with special needs kids and really enjoy it! It sounds like your job is very rewarding!

Rosemarie :flower:

:cheer2: Thanks for your post :cheer2:

You are one of the special ones who see the potential in our kids. What you have is a truly magical gift, may it bring you much joy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter