• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

New Here

MaggieDoodle

Earning My Ears
We just sent off our paperwork for our DVC membership, so I thought I'd join the group and say hello! :)

Having recently spent five nights at Pop Century (what a nightmare!) we took the tour and bought 150 points at Saratoga Springs. We feel as though this is perfect for us. We do Disney every other year, always in the off-season, and were already planning a family trip in December 2006.

Since our use year is April, we've already banked this year's 150 points. We should have 300 points next December. Did we do right in banking? I hope so. We won't be going before then.

Also, we were hoping to stay at OKW but since our home is Saratoga Springs (sorry, don't know all the acronyms yet) I'm thinking our best bet is to call in January and book there, then try to switch to OKW in May. I'm reading here that while the first week of December is off-time for Disney in general, it's a busy time for DVC members. Am I thinking right here?

Sorry for the long post! I'm looking forward to joining in the discussions.

Maggie

Well, welcome home neighbour! It sounds like you already have some good information, and you'll learn lots more here....

Have fun planning! :goodvibes

Sorry, can't answer your questions, I am fairly new too. Just closed for DVC have not had a DVC trip yet. I am sure the experts will be answering you very soon.

Just wanted to wish you

WELCOME HOME! :banana:

Hi MaggieDoodle :wave: . Love your screen name and welcome! Just wanted to say that you are a quick study!

Got that December/DVC busy thing down real fast. See you around and

welcome home!

MaggieDoodle said:
We just sent off our paperwork for our DVC membership, so I thought I'd join the group and say hello! :)

Having recently spent five nights at Pop Century (what a nightmare!) we took the tour and bought 150 points at Saratoga Springs. We feel as though this is perfect for us. We do Disney every other year, always in the off-season, and were already planning a family trip in December 2006.
Congratulations and welcome home!

MaggieDoodle said:
Since our use year is April, we've already banked this year's 150 points. We should have 300 points next December. Did we do right in banking? I hope so. We won't be going before then.
Yes, you were right to bank this year's points if you want to use them for a December 2006 trip.

With an April use year, 2005 points are good for trips between 4/1/2005 and 3/31/2006. If you want to use those points in your 2006 use year(4/1/2006 - 3/31/2007), then you have to bank them.

MaggieDoodle said:
Also, we were hoping to stay at OKW but since our home is Saratoga Springs (sorry, don't know all the acronyms yet) I'm thinking our best bet is to call in January and book there, then try to switch to OKW in May. I'm reading here that while the first week of December is off-time for Disney in general, it's a busy time for DVC members. Am I thinking right here?
You are correct again. Lots of us do exactly the same thing as you plan to do. If you don't get OKW at 7 months (I think you will though, if you call as soon as the 7 month window opens), you'll still have a place to stay.

MaggieDoodle said:

Maggie
No apologies necessary. Welcome to the DIS DVC Forum - hope to see you visit regularly. It's a great way to keep your feed your Disney habit when you are between trips.

Best wishes-

:wave:

Hi! Welcome Home!

Also, if you change your mind and want an earlier trip, you can always borrow the '06 points for an '05 use year trip!

Bobbi :cheer2:

It sounds like you've done your homework quite well. Everything you did is 100% correct. Of course feel free to post here on anything as there many here with 'lots' of experience.

So, Welcome Home!

our home is Saratoga Springs (sorry, don't know all the acronyms yet)

For DVC we use the following: (I think you'll figure out which resort is which)

BCV
BWV
HH
OKW
SSR
VB
VWL

For general DISboard abbreviations, look here: http://www.wdwinfo.com/abbreviations.htm

Welcome Home! Why was your stay at the POP terrible? I've stayed there on a few occassions and never had a problem. Well, anyway, Welcome to DVC! I'm positive you'll love your stay!

MaggieDoodle said:

Maggie

Welcome!

We are also new to DVC. Just bought in August with a March 2005 use year so we had to bank by Aug 31 - which we did.

Well, guess what? Yep we are already borrowing points from our 2006 use year. We are going on a cruise in Nov (surprise for my mom) so I decided to leave earlier and spend two nighs at a DVC resort. I still can't believe it.

For some reason these boards make you think of all kinds of ways to get to Disney. It is very addictive. :bounce:

Thanks for the great welcome, everybody! I'm going to like it here.

We hated Pop Century because, while the rest of Disney was empty, Pop was a madhouse. We had to wait in line for almost an hour just to check in. It was just too busy and noisy for us. Maybe it's just because we normally stay at Shades of Green, so it was just a big difference.

My husband was just talking about borrowing points already, right after we just banked them too. He says after all the excitement of buying and signing and getting the welcome package, it's kind of a letdown to just sit back and wait 'til next December.

Maggie

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter