New ice cube rule

DisneyFranatic

Earning My Ears
Disney has a new rule of no loose ice cubes in the parks. How are you supposed to freeze ice packs in hotel refrigerators if they don't have freezers? What is the reasoning behind this new rule?

Disney has a new rule of no loose ice cubes in the parks. How are you supposed to freeze ice packs in hotel refrigerators if they don't have freezers? What is the reasoning behind this new rule?
People were putting so much ice in cooler they could not check them you can bring ziplock bags and put ice in them and then take that with you.

198514-004-E7146601.jpg

I understand it is a security issue. You can hide all sorts of things in ICE.

Unfortunately, I feel that "security" will be the excuse used to limit all sorts of things in the parks.

First it is ice, then they restrict the SIZE of coolers, then the restrict bottled beverages .. etc. etc. All in the name of "security" and making those security lines flow faster. (and they get the added benefit of just "forcing" people to buy drinks and water inside the parks).

Pretty soon you'll see WDW be like sporting events where you can only bring in a small CLEAR bag in -- because .. you know .. security.

"Security" has made us take steps backwards on so many fronts in our society.

You can still have ice in a baggie. The ice just needs to be contained.
The rule is in place for safety reason. If a cooler was full of ice it wasn’t possible to search it.
Honest question: Could someone not still hide something in ice in a baggie? Is there a restriction on bag size (eg, no bigger than a quart)?

I understand it is a security issue. You can hide all sorts of things in ICE.

Unfortunately, I feel that "security" will be the excuse used to limit all sorts of things in the parks.

First it is ice, then they restrict the SIZE of coolers, then the restrict bottled beverages .. etc. etc. All in the name of "security" and making those security lines flow faster. (and they get the added benefit of just "forcing" people to buy drinks and water inside the parks).

Pretty soon you'll see WDW be like sporting events where you can only bring in a small CLEAR bag in -- because .. you know .. security.

"Security" has made us take steps backwards on so many fronts in our society.

The awesome part is that they, like sporting events, are a private company and event, so no matter how much you complain, there is nothing you can do about it.
Could they require us to buy only their food and drink starting tomorrow? Yes, and it would be perfectly legal and ethical. For now, though, you can still bring it in.

Serious question - What were people bringing in coolers of loose ice for that it caused this much of an issue? How big of coolers are we talking?

What were people bring in coolers of loose ice for? How big of coolers are we talking?
A small cooler someone could have loose ice in. You can bring in any size as long as it isn’t on wheels. Disney doesn’t allow that.

A small cooler someone could have loose ice in. You can bring in any size as long as it isn’t on wheels. Disney doesn’t allow that.

Okay, because in my head I was picturing those big rolling coolers you bring to the beach! :)

We were at Hollywood Studios on 3/30 and a woman was pulling a cooler on wheels behind her.

So much for Disney enforcing their own rules.

I agree. Sooner or later, economic decisions will hide behind "because of security." I see the day when bringing in food or beverages will be prohibited, "because of security." The same with backpacks, camelbacks, etc.

The awesome part is that they, like sporting events, are a private company and event, so no matter how much you complain, there is nothing you can do about it.
Could they require us to buy only their food and drink starting tomorrow? Yes, and it would be perfectly legal and ethical. For now, though, you can still bring it in.

What you can do is say enough and not go. I did that with flying, when the latest rules on electronics, food, books, etc., were the straw that broke the camel's back. I've done it with professional and collegiate sporting events as well.

The goal of terrorism is to intimidate and force a change. Looking back at what our country used to be and they way we lived our lives, I would stay that the terrorists accomplished their goal.

Many venues ban outside food. Movie theaters, some sporting venues and some non Disney theme parks. Rules on effect long before current security concerns.
Disney doesn't need a security reason, that might be a given reason.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!