new illumination event at R/C

Jennygt

DIS Veteran
I am very curious to hear the reviews on this. I booked it for the seats alone, my mom is not very mobile to having the seating is key. Its a bit pricey but what can I do, any thoughts? I am sure the team will check it out for us:)

I cant find anything so far? Not a big deal, just curious, sitting here in the cold planning for wdw

I cant find anything so far? Not a big deal, just curious, sitting here in the cold planning for wdw
On the Tuesday show this week, Pete said that they checked out the Illuminations Dining Package at Rose & Crown. I believe he said there would be a review coming up. I would expect the review to come out on a Friday since that is when they release the Disney Dining Show. Just not sure which Friday they will release it.

Last edited:

On the Tuesday show this week, Pete said that they checked out the Illuminations Dining Package at Rose & Crown. I believe he said there would be a review coming up. I would expect the review to come out on a Friday since that is when they release the Disney Dining Show. Just not sure which Friday they will release it.
I totally missed that, thanks!! Curious to hear what the team thinks. So far what I have read is not as promising as I had hoped. The view of illuminations is ehh. The frozen party has much better views but does not always have chairs, and that is what I am looking for since my parents are with us and standing can get to be an issue. Oh well either way I will work it out.

Hmmmm - coulda sworn somebody mentioned it on a show not that long ago, so I thought they had done it, or were going to in the very near future?

Last edited:
Here is a review of the event from Babsy on the thread you might enjoy. Josh on easy wdw did a review and questioned the hedge and that has been a ongoing discussion throughout the thread which is why it is mentioned below.

So, we went to the Rose and Crown Illuminations Dining package on Friday, Feb 15th. It was wonderful and sad all at once. Wonderful because it was the very first time that we had been able to sit on the lower patio together (I had done so myself but not with DH) and sad as this will have been the very last time we ever see Illuminations.

This is how the event went for us:

We arrived at 7:30 pm. tried to check in at the podium and were told to wait in that area next to the podium and that someone would show up later to take our names. Some people went on down the path that we were standing at the top of and lined up. I checked with the CM's 3 times, they all told us that where we were was where they would be checking us in. In the end going down the path towards the garden with the tables (behind the beer stand) was the way to go. They opened the gate at the bottom and we were let in through the side - not through the upper patio as I had expected. Our table was only the second one in so we didn't get to move along the row of tables. I tried to look further along but it looked like there was only a single row of tables by the rail. Tables were close together, but not unpleasantly so. We were not seated until 7:55. service was prompt and excellent throughout the evening.

The view/hedge:

where we were seated, the hedge only impacted a portion of the view. The single table to the left of us would have had a line of sight that was free of the hedge almost completely. DH was the most impacted at our table and said that it did not affect his view of the show at all. I went to his side and sat down (I am 5'2") and I had no problem looking over the hedge. Once the show started, I completely forgot about the partial obstruction of the hedge as I was swept up in the emotions of watching Illuminations for the last time. Never once did we feel that we had anything but a magical view of the show. I would have been happy at any of the tables along the lower patio. there were tables with children (maybe aged about 5-7 years?) further towards the middle of the patio. . I glanced over once to see how they were doing. They appeared to be kneeling up a little on their chairs. They were not standing and showed no signs of not being able to see. If anyone did have an issue, it would be easy enough to stand. The upper patio is significantly higher so I doubt that you would seriously block anyone's view.

The food:

We both ordered the Scotch egg. It was delicious. DH had the bangers and Mash. I opted for the fish and chips. Both were very good. My one complaint would be that there were some areas of batter with no fish in it, but still there was lots of food and it was quite tasty. I sampled DH's bangers and mash and would order that if I were lucky enough to be able to go again. The food arrived promptly but not too quickly for comfort. we were delighted with the speed of service. We did inquire about dessert prior to the fireworks. Our server (Fiona) said that dessert was served following the show. She suggested another drink. We decided to wait and were happy that we did. It was very relaxing after the show to enjoy dessert and perhaps a final beverage prior to exiting through an empty park. I found the4 desserts to be OK, but not memorable. DH liked the chocolate best. I kind of liked the trifle, but didn't finish any of them.

I asked about the vegan/vegetarian options. I was told that (for now at least) they could do a salad as the appetizer, a vegan fish and chips or a vegan bangers and mash for the entree, and fruit for the dessert. They are still working on the options and have it in mind to work on the menu some more....I was reminded that this is all still very new and they are working on the kinks in the program.

The beverages:

I had two specialty drinks (Sparkling Duchess?) plus a Guinness with the entree and DH had three glasses of wine throughout the evening. That is a huge amount of drinking for us, but we were offered even more. We could have had 4 - 5 drinks if we had tried/wanted to do so. We were told before the bar closed and were offered more at that time, but we had had enough by then. (feeling very happy)

The value:

I thought that the price was extremely fair for perhaps my favourite 'extra event' that I have done thus far at WDW. With three alcoholic beverages each, an appetizer , entree and dessert and then including tip and tax.....just WOW! we Loved it and would highly recommend the experience to anyone. It was so nice not to have to beg for a table to be able to watch the show, paying the small uncharge was well worth it. I have been among the people that was not given a table to view the fireworks and was disappointed in the past. (we did get to go stand in the area in the corner to watch the show).
I appreciated the opportunity to book this in advance and know that we would have such a view together at last. It was magical!

We have it booked for our last night of our August trip - looking forward to it!

Saw on another site and they said as long as you have 3 drinks (maybe even 2 depending on what you order) you will at least cover the cost if you add up the cost for the components. I suspect we will hit that target ;)

We have it booked for our last night of our August trip - looking forward to it!

Saw on another site and they said as long as you have 3 drinks (maybe even 2 depending on what you order) you will at least cover the cost if you add up the cost for the components. I suspect we will hit that target ;)

I have faith in you. WDW may take a loss on this from the both of us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!