New Kohls Account Scam

Mrs. Ciz

DIS Veteran
So yesterday two really big boxes (2 occasional chairs) were dropped off at my house from Kohls. I didn't order anything from Kohls this month. I thought the delivery person dropped them off at the wrong house, but they were actually addressed to me. I pulled the packing slip, and it too said the packages where ordered by me, shipped to me. Very strange. First I checked all my credit card balances (including the Kohls charge card - balance still said $0) to see if I had any unusual charges. Then I tried to pull up my Kohls account online to see when the goods were ordered. I could not get into my Kohls account. I'd been locked out.

At that point, I picked up the phone and called Kohls customer service. She said the 2 boxes were only the first of 5!!!! Five chairs were being sent my way in addition to a bunch of other stuff! My Kohls CC still had a zero balance, but all these charges were pending. She transferred me to the fraud department. Turns out someone hacked my Kohls online account, which is linked to my Kohls credit card, ordered up to the CC limit, and had all the stuff shipped to me just to get the Kohls cash. That's the new thing. When they tried to order over the limit, my Kohls account got locked and my Kohls CC got shut down. But nobody contacted me. Now I have to wait for all the packages to be delivered, call the Kohls dot.dom department to arrange for them to pick everything back up, and wait for the fraud investigation to run it's course. At least I won't be out any money, but this is a big pain in the butt.

sorry that you have to go through all this, but thanks for posting here. I often find Kohl's challenging to deal with for returns and such, so I'm glad to hear they are working with you on this. Good luck- and thanks for the heads-up!

I had something similar happen with my Kohl’s account - 2 very expensive items were ordered but I got an email confirmation and it was flagged already due to the unusual nature of the order. But I was able to stop the shipment before it went through. I was creeped out thinking someone was going to try to come by my house and take the packages when delivered- but it makes more sense they just wanted the Kohl’s cash.

This happened to me last May and I feel absolutely terrible that you have to go through this and Kohl's still has not done anything to prevent this type of stuff from happening.

For me, it took months and months for Kohl's to credit my account as I was responsible for setting up the return, having UPS/FedEx/USPS pickup the box and my card would not get credited until the inventory was back in Kohl's system. The hackers maxed out my Kohl's Credit Card ($2500) and I had something like 15-20 boxes shipped to me--hundreds of pajamas, shorts, leggings all in groups of 10 in the same style and size. The crazy thing was, I caught it right away, before any of the boxes shipped and called Kohl's. They could not/would not stop the orders. This was an absolutely complete nightmare for me, with over 30 telephone calls to get their fraud department to do their job. My UPS and FedEX guys absolutely hated me because they had to do double the work on each gigantic box.

Needless to say, I have not spent one dime with Kohl's since then and closed my account with them. My heart rate still goes up when I hear the word Kohl's.

So, stay on top of them....their fraud customer service is absolutely horrible.

Thanks for sharing this-what a pain! I use mine so infrequently-i wonder if the credit department would lower my limit?

That's terrible. But really, to commit a crime for Kohl's cash? Aim higher, people, aim higher!

I know. We figured out that shopping at Kohl's here in Maryland only made sense if you had a bunch of coupons. Their regular prices were way higher than any other store for the same stuff.

This happened to me last May and I feel absolutely terrible that you have to go through this and Kohl's still has not done anything to prevent this type of stuff from happening.

For me, it took months and months for Kohl's to credit my account as I was responsible for setting up the return, having UPS/FedEx/USPS pickup the box and my card would not get credited until the inventory was back in Kohl's system. The hackers maxed out my Kohl's Credit Card ($2500) and I had something like 15-20 boxes shipped to me--hundreds of pajamas, shorts, leggings all in groups of 10 in the same style and size. The crazy thing was, I caught it right away, before any of the boxes shipped and called Kohl's. They could not/would not stop the orders. This was an absolutely complete nightmare for me, with over 30 telephone calls to get their fraud department to do their job. My UPS and FedEX guys absolutely hated me because they had to do double the work on each gigantic box.

Needless to say, I have not spent one dime with Kohl's since then and closed my account with them. My heart rate still goes up when I hear the word Kohl's.

Apparently they like to order stuff that comes in BIG boxes, so it's way harder for the victim to return the stuff quickly. It gives the thieves extra time to use the Kohls cash before it gets deactivated by the return. I'm bummed it took you months to get everything sorted out.

There are several reasons I won't shop there any more, and it's unfortunate because they have a really convenient stand-alone store just a half mile away.

There are always clothes all over the floor. I've been in at least 6 Kohl's and it's the same in every one.

They advertised a Griddler at a good price. Went in, out of stock. I noticed a fast-food cup left on a clothes kiosk. Went back several times over the next 2 weeks and the cup never moved.

When they have a sale of some percent off of some category, let's say towels, they put higher priced stickers over the original ones.

Wow...I got an email recently that my Kohl’s account had been locked as well. When I went to the site it was locked.

I haven’t noticed any unusual charges and haven’t received any items in the mail.

I guess I need to call and get this figured out. I don’t know if I have a credit card logged on the site or not. I don’t have a Kohl’s credit card.

ETA....I reset my password and didn’t see anything unusual on my account. Not sure what’s going on. Or if hackers gave up when they saw I didn’t have a Kohl’s card? :confused3

Last edited:
Thanks for the head's up Mrs. Ciz. I don't go to Kohl's much anymore but I do online shopping with them especially during the holidays.

:thumbsup2

These SICK PEOPLE! All for Kohls Cash and a criminal record hopefully! SICK! Thanks for the heads up!:thumbsup2

Mrs. Ciz, Thanks for sharing these sick scam! :goodvibesHope that you unravel it; very frustrating and time consuming!:(

My husband had a similar issue with his Kohls card about 3 years ago. In that case, the fraudster ordered a Roomba, and the process was messier than yours sounds. Hope Kohls finds a fix for this soon.

There is also another scam related to this- A friend had a CC number stolen that she rarely uses. The person then set up fake accounts for several different stores using my friend's name and her address, but using a fake email they created. After purchasing many high dollar items, the thief tracked when the items would be delivered to my friend's house. The thieves then took them off the porch.

My friend saw the delivery on her Ring doorbell, but when the items were picked up she thought, oh they came back because they delivered to the wrong address. NExt day the same thing happened. Her husband caught the charges on the CC about the third day this happened. He talked to our school resource officer and she said it was a scam making its way into our area. The thieves were caught a week into the scam, but only because of the connections through our SRO and the police department.

Wow...I got an email recently that my Kohl’s account had been locked as well. When I went to the site it was locked.

I haven’t noticed any unusual charges and haven’t received any items in the mail.

I guess I need to call and get this figured out. I don’t know if I have a credit card logged on the site or not. I don’t have a Kohl’s credit card.

ETA....I reset my password and didn’t see anything unusual on my account. Not sure what’s going on. Or if hackers gave up when they saw I didn’t have a Kohl’s card? :confused3
Kohl’s consistently locks my account and rewards account. I don’t think it’s hackers, I think Kohl’s is too lazy to actually put in real security measures. Ironically that makes it easier for a hacker if they have access to your email since you don’t need the old password to create a new one. I have no cards saved with them so I don’t worry about it too much.

I do have a Kohl’s card but I’m reluctant to get rid of it because it’s one of my oldest lines of credit. The hassle of the constant account locks, the absolute MESS Kohl’s is, the fact that their sales aren’t really sales and hearing stories like this makes me think the drop of a couple of points might be worth it though.

I wonder if Kohl's can lock the Kohl's cash that was earned on the fake purchases so the thieves can't actually use it? It would make sense for them to do that as soon as someone reports this kind of fraud.

Kohl’s consistently locks my account and rewards account. I don’t think it’s hackers, I think Kohl’s is too lazy to actually put in real security measures. Ironically that makes it easier for a hacker if they have access to your email since you don’t need the old password to create a new one. I have no cards saved with them so I don’t worry about it too much.

I do have a Kohl’s card but I’m reluctant to get rid of it because it’s one of my oldest lines of credit. The hassle of the constant account locks, the absolute MESS Kohl’s is, the fact that their sales aren’t really sales and hearing stories like this makes me think the drop of a couple of points might be worth it though.

That makes sense. Thanks for your reply!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!