New law, parents/kids sitting together

The venue doesn't sell duplicate seats. Unscrupulous people sell duplicate seats.

Exactly!! (But I really didn't mean to run the whole thread off topic!)

Think of this extra low cost fare as the airline’s version of the single rider line. It allows the airline to fill in seats amongst those that care who they sit with. And those willing to sit with anyone get the shorter line, or the cheaper fare. Just as a family would not use the single rider line and expect to get seated together those choosing this fare should not expect to be seated together.

Great analogy!

Exactly!! (But I really didn't mean to run the whole thread off topic!)

Great analogy!
Thank you! I thought I had it correct. Just because there are people who try to circumvent the system doesn't make a good analogy wrong. You actually weren't the one to take the subject off topic. Your analogy is valid to the topic so is charmed59 no matter what someone else thinks.

Thank you! I thought I had it correct. Just because there are people who try to circumvent the system doesn't make a good analogy wrong. You actually weren't the one to take the subject off topic. Your analogy is valid to the topic so is charmed59 no matter what someone else thinks.
If you have an issue with what I said you're more than welcome to PM me :flower1:

I just ordered plane tickets today to fly from Tampa Florida to Michigan for Christmas this year on South West. It was a relatively last minute decision based on a family need. We are a family of five with 2 college age kids and a high school student who all have exams up until 12/21 and we fly out on 12/22 which is sure to be a insanely busy flying day. It already cost us about $175 more per person then we typically have to pay to fly this route because of the Holiday. Two of us need aisle seating for health reasons and we would like to sit together. To make this happen I had to forked over another $200 to do early bird check in. It will annoy me to no end if I or anyone in my family is asked to accommodate a parent who wasn't willing to pay this fee so their young child could sit next to them. Yes, the fee sucks! I get that as I loathe paying it too! I also hated paying it when my children were younger but it's part of the price you have to pay to get seats together on this airline.

If the airline assigned us the seats for free I may have considered moving if asked to accommodate a family that was separated. However, since on this particular airline, that family had the same opportunity to either pay for the early bird seating or pass on it. I don't feel those of us who paid for this perk should have to move. Personally, I think if you choose to take this risk then you don't have the right to take away space from another person who paid extra to board the plane and pick out their seat earlier. I also have no issue sitting in a seat when a family tries to game the system and pay for only one persons in their family to have early bird boarding and then that person boards and saves seats. Not cool! Pay the stinking fee like the rest of us or risk sitting apart!

As someone who has paid this fee for years when my children were younger to ensure they were seated with a family member I have no sympathy for a parent who didn't take parental responsibility for their child. Those who say,"I'll risk it because no one want to sit with my unattended preschooler." I call BS! Your a parent grow up and act like one! Accept the responsibility for the child you brought into this world. It is not the flight attendant or any other passenger on the planes responsibility to make sure your child or children are attended to. It's your responsibility! Do not be surprised if passengers don't offer to move seats and don't imply that were the ones being rude in this situation. Actually, if you made the choice to fly with young children and booked without paying the early bird fee with the expectation that someone would take pity on your situation and move to accommodate your need it's you who is being rude.

Bravo! 100% correct. We did the same thing, pay for the early bird so that we could sit together. I still pay for early bird for the whole family and even for myself when I travel solo. I want the aisle seat in the front of the plane. I do not like to sit behind the engines because the roar of it hurts my ears. I have seen this situation on a flight where the family did not pay for early bird and expected others to move. It is rude and it holds up the plane. Everyone needs to take responsibility for themselves and their children.

This was a real shock to us as Aussies the first time we went to the USA on a self-funded Make-A-Wish trip. We did not know that this was not automatically so as it had always been everywhere else we flew in the world, though whether by luck or policy I don't know. It was hugely problematic as the cancer patient was 6 and his machine was hooked into his body via a gastrostomy button and this needed constant monitoring - and he was seated away from family members on some US flights. We would gladly have paid to be seated together had we known.

The good news is, against all odds and predictions, he pulled through. pixiedust:

I am glad this is become policy. The horror stories of children assaulted in-flight are harrowing.:guilty:
I'm sorry this happened to you. We have a special needs kid and we let them know at booking and have always had him seated next to one of us. Some airlines have even sent an attendant to help with a wheelchair at the gate when we have arrived.

Just to update from the original title of the thread, no US law requires that children be seated within arm's reach of their adults at this time. The "Families Flying Together Act" was introduced as an amendment to the 2016 FAA funding reauthorization bill, which was passed at the time, but has since expired (FAA funding authorization bills are only good for 12 months.)

In any case, the text of the "law" merely directed the FAA to work on drafting a set of rules about the seating of passengers under age 13. It did NOT, however, set a deadline for such rules to be implemented, and they have not been.

Essentially, this "law" was a red herring intended to create good publicity for members of the Aviation subcommittee in an election year. There was never any Congressional intent to force airlines to actually comply with it.

Please note that disabled children and adults are already covered by the provisions of the Air Carrier Access Act, which allows them to be seated with a companion whose responsibility it is to assist that disabled passenger in the event of an emergency evacuation of the aircraft.

Bravo! 100% correct. We did the same thing, pay for the early bird so that we could sit together. I still pay for early bird for the whole family and even for myself when I travel solo. I want the aisle seat in the front of the plane. I do not like to sit behind the engines because the roar of it hurts my ears. I have seen this situation on a flight where the family did not pay for early bird and expected others to move. It is rude and it holds up the plane. Everyone needs to take responsibility for themselves and their children.

Or the guy who did nto check in in a timely manner. WE were treated to his "displeasure" when his number was the last one in line, and he pitched a fit on the plane becasue he did nto like his seat. To their credit, the FA"s woudl nto budge for him and did not ask anyone to move, and did tell him several times he had the same opportunity as every other individual on that plane to either buy early bird or check in 24 hours early, however when it was clear they were going to address his hissy fit in a manner that would not make his sorry self happy, a passenger did offer to change places with him if he would just stop talking. As someone who hovers over my computer 24 hours and then some before my flight in order to check in "on time" I kind of was sorry someone capitulated.

I would hope that the onus is on the parents, not the airlines.

To quote a poster I've sometimes hung in my classroom: "Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."

Well, let’s be honest for a moment. The entire idea of having to pay for seat assignments is a huge money grab by the airlines that disproportionately impacts those flying with small children for whom sitting together is a “need to have” as opposed to a “nice to have.”

So this isn’t entirely about planning, but also about what can be material additional expenses.

Well, let’s be honest for a moment. The entire idea of having to pay for seat assignments is a huge money grab by the airlines that disproportionately impacts those flying with small children for whom sitting together is a “need to have” as opposed to a “nice to have.”

So this isn’t entirely about planning, but also about what can be material additional expenses.

How is early bird any different then those airlines that charge extra for window and isle seat. You end up paying more to have your family sit together because someone has to occupy those. At least early bird is optional and you still have a chance to sit together whereas the other airlines that charge more, you have no options.

How is early bird any different then those airlines that charge extra for window and isle seat. You end up paying more to have your family sit together because someone has to occupy those. At least early bird is optional and you still have a chance to sit together whereas the other airlines that charge more, you have no options.

I don’t think it is any different - still a money grab. And I say this having flown enough to get a companion pass on Southwest, and now have secret status on an equivalent Canadian line. Doesn’t anyone remember 15 years back when picking your seat was just part of buying a ticket - just like checking a bag? And look around - no one is paying less for airfare now. They just got you accustomed to paying extra for these “extras” and then prices went right back to where they were (or equivalent with inflation).

Last edited:
We flew this December from Pittsburgh to LAX($12.00 per seat, $30.00 per bag and $51.00 for ticket, $7.00 for shortcut boarding)$100.00 total per person. This was a nonstop flight leaving at 7:00am. Yes, we were on Spirit but had a fantastic flight on a brand new plane. The attendants entertained us the entire trip, passed out stickers and did yoga with kids. The seats are small but we had absolutely no complaints. We flew home to Pittsburgh and down to Orlando and back with the same airline. Our final flight home was on December 24th at 2:30pm and we paid $29.10 for the ticket and the other prices were the same. As a family we could have saved $288 by not picking our seats. Our kids are our responsibility and I'm sorry but I do not feel it is up to the airline. Our flight to Orlando had at least 75 kids on it and if no one bought seats for their kids what would the airline do.

I don’t think it is any different - still a money grab. And I say this having flown enough to get a companion pass on Southwest, and now have secret status on an equivalent Canadian line. Doesn’t anyone remember 15 years back when picking your seat was just part of buying a ticket - just like checking a bag? And look around - no one is paying less for airfare now. They just got you accustomed to paying extra for these “extras” and then prices went right back to where they were (or equivalent with inflation).

I look at it from the reverse angle, that if you don't care where you sit it is a nice option to save some money.

The term Money Grab makes me laugh. The vast majority of businesses exist to make money. And will charge what the market allows.

I wanted to add that we have been flying to Orlando for over twenty five years and the prices have dropped considerably. I can remember the days when luggage and seats were free, so was a bad "tv dinner" like meal BUT tickets were much higher. I have our oldest daughters first airplane ticket to WDW in her scrapbook and her ticket alone was almost $600 one way. Same airport, same week of travel as this year. I'm amazed at some of the airline deals that are available. Funny thing her 1st Disney trip ticket is also in the scrapbook. Talk about price increase!!!!!!! Good thing we love Disney as the prices have gone CRAZY.

Or for those who do not care about seating, it is a nice way to save money. We never pay for early bird seating, but this last trip I did not check in right on time on our return flight. We were not thrilled with our placement in the Southwest queue and knew we had a choice: take our chances and hope we still got a seat we were happy with, or pay for one priority seat and hope that my DD could save seats for at least her DD and DH, or just pay priority for all of us. WHich we did, and upgraded all of us. You see we generally save the money and make it our business to check in on the dot, but since I wanted what I wanted, we paid for what we considered to be a necessity for us: Aile seat for DH and three seats together for my DD and her family. DD and DGD are not happy passengers, so having them all separated is not an option.

Normally I would agree with you, but I think things are changing.

A huge pet peeve of mine is the inability to compare apples to apples. For example, on the Hilton Honors Website, it will show a list of hotels in the area, and the price per night. Sounds great, but in the Orlando area, some of those hotels have resort fees. They are mandatory fees (money grab), but not included in the listing. So, I choose the $102 a night hotel as it is cheaper than the $107 a night hotel, only to find out that the $102 night hotel has a $30 a night resort fee.

I recently flew Frontier Airlines to Orlando. How could I go wrong, I got a ticket for $20 one way, and $22 return. I bought two, one for me and my wife. Frontier is all about à la carte pricing. We did not need to check a bag, or bring a carry-on (for something like $40 each way), as our overnight clothes would fit in our one included personal bag.

In continuing my ticket purchase, I was then presented the option of choosing a seat. Every seat on the plane had a cost. In my circumstances it was $13/$25/$40. You could choose not to spend the money and have the airline assign you a seat, but since my wife and I wanted to sit together, I choose a pair of $13 seats each way.

That “$20 bill” ticket turned into $150 for two of us round trip, including seat assignments and taxes.

Now the kicker, as we are boarding, here is a woman complaining loudly that her and her daughter (I estimate to be in the 6 to 8 range) are seated 15 rows apart. My wife is looking at me and asking if we should offer to trade with them so they can sit together. Once on the jet way, I remind her that I paid extra money to make sure we would be seated together, and that she simply had actively chosen not to do the same. Now she is suffering with the outcome of her decision.

I hate to be so cold about it, and if I had not paid extra, I would have felt differently. To me, I felt that she was attempting to get for free an option that I had paid for. If the airline gives in, good for her.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter