New law, parents/kids sitting together

The comment about thousands on a vacation was a general comment. The only comment that was directed to her was the first couple sentences. Sorry but if your traveling with children it is your responsibility to pay for seats.

I am not going to argue that point. I have been in agreement with this position from my first post. The general comment seemed to be directed at that specific family.

This was a real shock to us as Aussies the first time we went to the USA on a self-funded Make-A-Wish trip. We did not know that this was not automatically so as it had always been everywhere else we flew in the world, though whether by luck or policy I don't know. It was hugely problematic as the cancer patient was 6 and his machine was hooked into his body via a gastrostomy button and this needed constant monitoring - and he was seated away from family members on some US flights. We would gladly have paid to be seated together had we known.

The good news is, against all odds and predictions, he pulled through. pixiedust:

I am glad this is become policy. The horror stories of children assaulted in-flight are harrowing.:guilty:

So glad to hear he is ok!

I have flown on two separate weekends this month and have seen something that made me smile. Both weekends Southwest when over the intercom explaining family boarding said if you are traveling with children under 6 you can family board but no more than two adults! Finally, no more family of 11 adults and 1 six year old getting priority boarding.

On two legs DD was with me so we paid for Early Bird so we were sure we could sit together. On two legs I was buy myself and didn't pay for early bird. My husband and son fly out this weekend and I did Early Bird again so they could ensure to sit together. They are teenagers age 14 and 15 and are more than capable of sitting alone, but you pay extra for that guarantee. Yes, I have also seen only one person pay for early bird and then get on and try to save seats for their family. That is risky as you really shouldn't be saving seats. I am not just talking about one seat next to you. I saw a woman save her row (second row) and the row behind her (5 extra seats) for her family that did not pay for early bird.

I have flown on two separate weekends this month and have seen something that made me smile. Both weekends Southwest when over the intercom explaining family boarding said if you are traveling with children under 6 you can family board but no more than two adults! Finally, no more family of 11 adults and 1 six year old getting priority boarding.

On two legs DD was with me so we paid for Early Bird so we were sure we could sit together. On two legs I was buy myself and didn't pay for early bird. My husband and son fly out this weekend and I did Early Bird again so they could ensure to sit together. They are teenagers age 14 and 15 and are more than capable of sitting alone, but you pay extra for that guarantee. Yes, I have also seen only one person pay for early bird and then get on and try to save seats for their family. That is risky as you really shouldn't be saving seats. I am not just talking about one seat next to you. I saw a woman save her row (second row) and the row behind her (5 extra seats) for her family that did not pay for early bird.
I agree!!! We have always paid to assure we would be seated together including early bird seating. I really can't understand the people who have an issue with paying the price to be seated with family. It's simple, if traveling with kids make sure you include paying for seats or early bird when budgeting for your trip. Having a family should not and does not grant one special rights. (And yes, we are the parents of 4 so we are not against families)

I should update my ticker to include the one for Disneyland in Anaheim this year, but the interesting thing booking with Qantas was that you can choose to be seated together for no extra cost on the domestic portion, but they charge per person on the international leg for people to be seated together. I wonder why this is? Is it because the international flight is to the USA and this seems to be standard there, but not in Australia? You would think that my 2 and 4 year olds would be more of a problem for their seatmates on a 14-hour international flight. And for the record, it will be my husband and me playing musical chairs for bathroom runs! I have never been so apprehensive about flying in my life as flying with 2 preschoolers. Hats off to those of you who manage it regularly! Even my lists are making lists at the moment to manage the impending chaos. :rolleyes:

This entire thread is about those who don't have children or don't care about other people's children, being upset because now children and parents have the opportunity to sit together on a flight?

People don't care if the parents aren't with their children but God forbid if the kid sits next to them and is less than perfect.

So what is it? Do you want the bratty kid with its Mama so you don't have to clean up puke and goldfish crackers or do you want to stay in your seat with the chance you'll have a bratty kid next to you who you may have to babysit for an entire flight?

If you're an adult and you won't move because you just can't separate from your spouse for an hour long flight, how do you think a child feels?

This reminds me of the great bus debates and how able bodied 30 year old men refuse to give their seats to 2 year olds.

This entire thread is about those who don't have children or don't care about other people's children, being upset because now children and parents have the opportunity to sit together on a flight?

People don't care if the parents aren't with their children but God forbid if the kid sits next to them and is less than perfect.

So what is it? Do you want the bratty kid with its Mama so you don't have to clean up puke and goldfish crackers or do you want to stay in your seat with the chance you'll have a bratty kid next to you who you may have to babysit for an entire flight?

If you're an adult and you won't move because you just can't separate from your spouse for an hour long flight, how do you think a child feels?

This reminds me of the great bus debates and how able bodied 30 year old men refuse to give their seats to 2 year olds.

And just like the bus thread, it is about personal responsibility. If you have a need, then you need to be the one to see to it that it is met. Not the total strangers around you, but you! People should be able to offer help if they want to, but it should never be expected or demanded. If you (in general) are too cheap to pay for a seat next to your child, then you are the one to blame if you are not seated next to them. No Mary or John Smith. YOU.

And just like the bus thread, it is about personal responsibility. If you have a need, then you need to be the one to see to it that it is met. Not the total strangers around you, but you! People should be able to offer help if they want to, but it should never be expected or demanded. If you (in general) are too cheap to pay for a seat next to your child, then you are the one to blame if you are not seated next to them. No Mary or John Smith. YOU.

I'd rather be cheap than sadistic.

What is it inside of people that makes them think parents should be separated from their children? It doesn't harm you since you should be a functioning adult who can handle being moved one seat over. Is it the only power you have in your day and you intend to use it just because you can?

Not that any of this matters since thankfully parents don't have to pay for this necessary change. I'm happy it was passed and like most things, everyone else will have to move on and find something else to complain about.

I'd rather be cheap than sadistic.

What is it inside of people that makes them think parents should be separated from their children? It doesn't harm you since you should be a functioning adult who can handle being moved one seat over. Is it the only power you have in your day and you intend to use it just because you can?

Not that any of this matters since thankfully parents don't have to pay for this necessary change. I'm happy it was passed and like most things, everyone else will have to move on and find something else to complain about.

And you know the parents who want to sit next to their children?

And it's interesting you don't think @maxiesmom was out of line for calling me (as well as other parents) cheap and yelling first.

But I suppose that would interfere with your bias and need to deflect.

And it's interesting you don't think @maxiesmom was out of line for calling me (as well as other parents) cheap and yelling first.

Wasn't calling you anything. I was speaking in generalities. And nope, I didn't yell. Yelling on line is ALL CAPS.

1) You do not need to try and throw cheap shots at other posters-I was talking about you and not other posters- using words like 'sadistic' and assuming the motives behind a person's choice not to move is that they don't have children of their own

2) I do not have a bias but it's very appearant you do

3) I don't need to deflect but it's very apperant you feel the need to do this

4) With all due respect take your hostility down a couple of notches please

I don't see it as lack of planning on a parent's part. I see it as blatant gouging by the airlines. I have a legal responsibility to care for my children. The airlines are despicable in that they exploit that responsibility in order to make money. They don't realistically want parents seated away from young children so they trap you into paying that ridiculous fee. It's disgusting. Instead of laying blame at the feet of the airlines, people turn on one another. Sad really.

Airlines make their cheapest seats available to anyone who doesn't have special seating requirements. Don't look at it as a charge to reserve specific seats but rather the cheapest seats get a discount for not being picky. If you want to sit with your kids, you need to buy seats that will work for you. Now once the law comes into play, you may not be able to buy seats on a plane where there are no adjacent seats left, even if there are enough seats left overall. Frankly I think the law should have only addressed kids under school age or those that have special needs. Once a kid is sent off to school, they are used to being away from mom and dad for hours at a time. They are certainly able to sit separately on a plane within a few rows of the parents.

When parents don't plan ahead and don't purchase assigned seat fares, I think the FA should attempt to seat them together starting at the very last row next to the lavatory. It is less likely that anyone sitting there actually chose those seats and so there should be fewer problems asking others to switch seats.

I will stay in my seat that I chose, put on my headphones and power up my tablet.
So will I. If the child needs help, I will hit their button for the flight attendant so that they can then get the parent. Not my job to take care of the kid and not my job to be more responsible then the parent. Call me sadistic, I don't care. The opinion of someone who would resort to such name calling isn't anything to give a second thought to.

And I will not give up the seat I picked. I picked it for a reason. A reason that is none of your business and is JUST as important as any reason you have.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter