New Lockers- standard size now $2

Anyone can have their souvenirs sent to the front of the park to pick up at end of day - this is quite easy and hassle-free.

Never been to another park with free ride lockers, so even free small ones is a perk over Six Flags and others.

You can. Last time we asked about it we were told our packages would be available for pickup in 4-6 hours. We did not intend to spend 4-6 hours in the park. So it's an option, but it won't always be helpful.

There are huge differences between a vacation destination like Universal (which requires lockers for certain rides) and a regional amusement park like Six Flags. Most people don't spend a week at Six Flags for one.

Thanks for sharing the link
Having a visual of the lockers and size will help all make their decision

Have the locker banks at the front of the parks been replaced as well? If not, I would imagine those lockers at an all day flat rate would be better for people who need a larger one than paying $2 each time at the lockers near the rides. Its not as convenient having the locker all the way at the front, but it would probably be a cheaper option if you can't bring less stuff.

Have the locker banks at the front of the parks been replaced as well? If not, I would imagine those lockers at an all day flat rate would be better for people who need a larger one than paying $2 each time at the lockers near the rides. Its not as convenient having the locker all the way at the front, but it would probably be a cheaper option if you can't bring less stuff.

The daily lockers have not changed although Universal has raised prices on them. Per their official response:

"The all-day jumbo sized lockers at the front gates and the large lockers at the water-based attraction have increased in price to reflect the value they provide guests. Universal Orlando Resort™ is not responsible for any items that are lost or damaged in our resort. We recommend that you bring only basic essentials to the parks and leave valuable items at home or in your hotel safe."

I noticed the new lockers when I was there on Monday and wondered when they had been installed. For myself I liked them. The convenience of scanning my pass and having the door pop open, instead of having to go through several screens and fingerprint and remember what number locker I had, was a big improvement.

However all I carry is my phone and small wallet in a three pronged waist belt so the small size isn't an issue for me. Also I only use the lockers on the metal detector rides, I don't use them on stuff like mummy. If I carry water at all it is in a closable bottle and those would fit as well and so will wands.

My youngest DD is still in a stroller so we keep our stuff on that, but I can understand why this would be an issue for people with older kids who aren't in strollers anymore but still need their stuff. When I don't have my kids with me I just have my phone, wand, and wallet and that's it, well also a lanyard if I have express pass.

I did see some other people having problems and I had to wait in line a few times to scan my ticket to get my stuff back because people seemed to be blocking the scanner a lot, not sure why. I don't know if people were just confused at the newness or just being rude or what but there were a lot of big groups blocking the locker areas and the scanners. I saw one couple with two giant backpacks and two big Tupperware containers of what looked like cookies trying to fit this stuff in the smaller lockers, I did have to laugh at that as I can't imagine carrying around giant Tupperware containers in a park.

I do think a smaller lunch in a softsided type cooler would still fit. Like the ones that are shaped like the old brown paper bags but are made of reusable material, those should fit fine.

I accidentally walked up to the paid lockers at one point and had a TM tell me that they cost money but the smaller ones were free, I'm glad she was standing there cause I wouldn't have realized the free ones were still available and I'm really glad they are! Our local theme park charges for all lockers even on rides where they require you not carry anything and that angers me.

The daily lockers have not changed although Universal has raised prices on them. Per their official response:

"The all-day jumbo sized lockers at the front gates and the large lockers at the water-based attraction have increased in price to reflect the value they provide guests. Universal Orlando Resort™ is not responsible for any items that are lost or damaged in our resort. We recommend that you bring only basic essentials to the parks and leave valuable items at home or in your hotel safe."

They had many what I would consider "standard" size lockers at the front, like what was at the rides before this change. I doubt those would be considered "jumbo". Perhaps there are two different sizes at the front?

They had many what I would consider "standard" size lockers at the front, like what was at the rides before this change. I doubt those would be considered "jumbo". Perhaps there are two different sizes at the front?

I am guessing they are using the term "jumbo" to justify the price increase. The small, free lockers are considered to be "standard".

I'm wondering if this will cause popular rides free lockers to reach capacity? I know in the past some days I have to pass some locker sections and go to the ones in the back because they say lockers are at capacity. Now I wonder if some families would use mom's ticket, then dad's ticket, then child's ticket to split their things between multiple free small lockers so they don't have to pay for bigger lockers for every ride throughout the day.

I've always been surprised that they didn't charge for lockers.

I usually carry a laptop backpack with a few things in it - ponchos, battery chargers, bottles of water, etc. It barely fits in the large lockers. It doesn't need to be that big, it's just the backpack that I have.

I'll probably end up getting a smaller backpack and using that. The refillable cup part sucks, though. I said this on our last trip - they should have made the lockers vertical rather than horizontal. That would have solved that issue but probably created another.

I have to wonder how many people will put full refillable cups in there anyway and if they leak, oh well... It would also be interesting to see if their Coke Freestyle usage goes up because of people having to constantly dump and refill.

Once at Mummy, before the new lockers and new locker room, we saw water pouring out of one of the lockers at the top. I guess someone crammed there stuff in there, and the water bottle broke or fell over. I was so glad that our camera bag wasn't underneath that locker.

I'm wondering if this will cause popular rides free lockers to reach capacity? I know in the past some days I have to pass some locker sections and go to the ones in the back because they say lockers are at capacity. Now I wonder if some families would use mom's ticket, then dad's ticket, then child's ticket to split their things between multiple free small lockers so they don't have to pay for bigger lockers for every ride throughout the day.

People will absolutely be doing this. However, I would say 3 or 4 of the small lockers are equivalent to a big one, so maybe it wouldn't matter. I think it will actually help on really busy days at Gringott's or FJ, when there were no free lockers in the past. I think the total number of lockers has increased, but the total volume is definitely down with the structure required for each small locker. I think they are charging for the big ones to discourage their use, because over Thanksgiving, we often saw that most of the big ones had been taken with tons of small ones still available.

I actually had to use my son's ticket at HHN for Mummy. It was my first time using the new lockers, and I accidentally went to a bank of small ones. I couldn't release the locker with my ticket, so I had to use his to get a big one. I had our camera bag with 2 lenses in it and 2 water bottles that are not leak proof, so I had to use the big one. There were no attendants in the room to help me release the small locker. However, it would have eventually freed up after some time.

Reading crazywig's linked article reminded me that we did have to pay for lockers at Seaworld when riding their coasters. Perhaps we are lucky there are still some free ones at all?

One thing I love about Uni is that they seem to put convenience over petty nickel and diming. Something I love about it over Disney. This makes our trip less convenient when traveling with multiple kids. Makes me love Uni just a little bit less.

My thoughts exactly. I don’t associate Universal with nickel and diming and I feel a bit sad to have just read about this.

I’m a hobby photographer who was looking forward to using my better camera to get photos of HP land and the Xmas parade and decorations. Since my camera is quite large and probably won’t fit (height-wise) into one of those lockers, I will probably just use my cellphone instead (as may many other keen photographers).
This could prove to be a poor marketing decision for Universal as high-quality social media pics are an advertising stream for their parks. Today’s cellphones are good, but they can’t do what a good camera can. Plus I agree that it will put some people off making big purchases in the parks.

Oh well... :sad2:

Reading crazywig's linked article reminded me that we did have to pay for lockers at Seaworld when riding their coasters. Perhaps we are lucky there are still some free ones at all?

However, the number of rides that require lockers is high. I understand their point/need, but its ALL the big/popular rides.
Disney gets the A+ over US on this point.

Typical. Offer something like an all-day souvenir cup with unlimited refills, and then charge people to store them for rides. Guess I'll just have to keep my sunscreen in my pocket???

My thoughts exactly. I don’t associate Universal with nickel and diming and I feel a bit sad to have just read about this.

I’m a hobby photographer who was looking forward to using my better camera to get photos of HP land and the Xmas parade and decorations. Since my camera is quite large and probably won’t fit (height-wise) into one of those lockers, I will probably just use my cellphone instead (as may many other keen photographers).
This could prove to be a poor marketing decision for Universal as high-quality social media pics are an advertising stream for their parks. Today’s cellphones are good, but they can’t do what a good camera can. Plus I agree that it will put some people off making big purchases in the parks.

Oh well... :sad2:

We usually carry a nice camera and 2 or 3 lenses. We have a lens that allows us to take pictures on dark rides without a flash. You just can't get that from a cell phone. However, we may be cutting back on that some now and only taking it into the parks on select days.

Typical. Offer something like an all-day souvenir cup with unlimited refills, and then charge people to store them for rides. Guess I'll just have to keep my sunscreen in my pocket???

The small lockers are still free, and your sunscreen, unless it's a gallon size, should fit in the small locker:D Cup won't fit if it has liquid:sad2:

I wonder how much Universal makes, if any, of that $2. I believe they contract out the lockers and staff. Maybe the locker provider bumped up the price and Universal just passed the bump along to us?

However, the number of rides that require lockers is high. I understand their point/need, but its ALL the big/popular rides.
Disney gets the A+ over US on this point.
I both love and hate the way Disney handles it. I like that I don't have to go to a crowded locker area, but I spend the entire ride either A. worrying about my backpack flying out of the mesh bag or B. uncomfortably trying to get my legs and backpack to share the exact same physical space or C. both.

One thing we might do more often (when we have the whole family) is Child Swap (without a child). Wait in line with everyone and all the bags, then split up at the Swap point and hand off any bags. If it's just the two of us, we'll probably just have to trim down a bit on what we carry and get a smaller backpack.

I am guessing they are using the term "jumbo" to justify the price increase. The small, free lockers are considered to be "standard".

I see. But even at an increased flat rate, I would imagine that is still cheaper for people who have a lot to bring to the parks with them. Unless they have someone who won't be riding or they don't plan to go on many locker-required rides.

On a related note, are these small free lockers all the ones that open by scanning your park ticket? When we were there in October, I believe they were already at Hulk and Mummy. Same ones?

I see. But even at an increased flat rate, I would imagine that is still cheaper for people who have a lot to bring to the parks with them. Unless they have someone who won't be riding or they don't plan to go on many locker-required rides.

On a related note, are these small free lockers all the ones that open by scanning your park ticket? When we were there in October, I believe they were already at Hulk and Mummy. Same ones?

Same ones. They are at MIB and Gringott's now too.

I wonder how much Universal makes, if any, of that $2. I believe they contract out the lockers and staff. Maybe the locker provider bumped up the price and Universal just passed the bump along to us?

I don't think it was to make money necessarily. I think the large lockers were filling up, and then people who had large items couldn't get a locker. Over Thanksgiving, we saw that the large locker banks were pretty full, if not full. However, we were always able to get a large locker. I used a small locker for our smaller items, but our camera bag and 3 water bottles were not going to fit in the small locker. They were all free over Thanksgiving.

Anyone know how you pay for these lockers? Canadian here who wasn't planning on traveling with a ton of American change.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!