New Luggage Question

We just bought a new set of hard sided luggage from Away Luggage. They have a 100 day return for any reason policy and a life time guarantee.

I have never owned the hard shell, but I ended up looking a ton of places and went with soft side because I could get a very light weight product. I have enough trouble staying under 50 lbs in my largest suitcase, I don't need a heavy suitcase to start.

I think my final purchase was from T.J. Maxx. They had some great prices.

Depends on the style. There are still true hard "clamshells" with metal latches out there. However, most of the new style are lightweight pieces made with thin polycarbonate with zippers (both closure and expansion). They might even weigh less than a fabric-covered piece of the same size, although they typically don't have pockets. I've had my set for over 5 years and it's got scratches/scuffs, but everything is still intact and working.

Hard side is also good if you worry about any liquids spilling onto your luggage. If your luggage is left out in the rain, which sometimes happens, it is less likely everything you own will be soaked. If someone packs a bunch of water in their checked bag and some bottles break, with hard side luggage it is less likely your stuff will get wet.

I have soft side that I love (hello Mickey American Tourister!) but my sister loves her hard side.

Depends on the "hard sided" style though. The old fashioned clamshell type uses a metal frame hinge and latches. That may not specifically be waterproof, but it's going to resist rain to some degree. Some people go crazy and get Pelican luggage complete with watertight rubber seals. Kind of extreme and I think heavy, but some people have valuable items that just can't get wet.

http://www.pelican.com/us/en/product/luggage/carry-on/elite/ba22

pelican-strongest-waterproof-carryon-luggage.jpg

The new thin style polycarbonate with zippers can still leak through the fabric part of the zipper, although it's going to be less vulnerable than fabric panels. I think it depends on how it's oriented - such as the zipper facing the rain.

Depends on the "hard sided" style though. The old fashioned clamshell type uses a metal frame hinge and latches. That may not specifically be waterproof, but it's going to resist rain to some degree. Some people go crazy and get Pelican luggage complete with watertight rubber seals. Kind of extreme and I think heavy, but some people have valuable items that just can't get wet.

http://www.pelican.com/us/en/product/luggage/carry-on/elite/ba22

pelican-strongest-waterproof-carryon-luggage.jpg

The new thin style polycarbonate with zippers can still leak through the fabric part of the zipper, although it's going to be less vulnerable than fabric panels. I think it depends on how it's oriented - such as the zipper facing the rain.

Many many years ago I was pitched off a ferry boat because of a ballast error and hit the drink clutchingmy samsonite hard case. Not a pelican (which I do use now to travel with some tools) but I floated ontop of that suitcase for nearly an hour.

Our hardside luggage is much more lightweight than our fabric luggage. We are slowly replacing all the fabric with hardside. Costco has the best deals and their return policy is great if the suitcase breaks sooner than it should. I also like how the hardside luggage is broken up into compartments and usually has more built in zipper pouches and pockets. I don't like my suitcase to just be one big rectangular space, because it is harder to organize.

As mentioned, the hardside luggage is impermeable to spills or rain, which is a huge plus.
We went with hardside for this same reason about 10 years ago. We're now on our 3rd set for purely cosmetic reasons - OP be aware that luggage takes a beating when you're flying and the beautiful, shiny surface may come back to you looking appalling after even the first trip. (I'm thinking specifically of @Soldier's*Sweeties Lilly Taylor.) My sweet DH bought me this set last year before our trip to Europe and DLP - Air France slapped a big, old "Gate Check" sticker right in the middle of Mickey's face on the carry-on and I haven't been able to get it all off. :(
716Kfju7mEL._UX385_.jpg

We went with hardside for this same reason about 10 years ago. We're now on our 3rd set for purely cosmetic reasons - OP be aware that luggage takes a beating when you're flying and the beautiful, shiny surface may come back to you looking appalling after even the first trip. (I'm thinking specifically of @Soldier's*Sweeties Lilly Taylor.) My sweet DH bought me this set last year before our trip to Europe and DLP - Air France slapped a big, old "Gate Check" sticker right in the middle of Mickey's face on the carry-on and I haven't been able to get it all off. :(
716Kfju7mEL._UX385_.jpg
That is lousy to hear about the sticker. Love the luggage though!!!

The only problem I have with my hard-sided luggage is that it has to be laid flat. It's not like a soft side where you just up zip and leave the top propped open. It needs more room than a soft sided. But it is lighter than my soft sided and holds more so it's what I use.
My husband bought a three piece set of hard sided luggage and I pretty much hate the luggage for this reason. There aren't any exterior compartments and you have to lay it out flat to get something out of it. Every single trip has had me laying the suitcase flat on the floor of the airport to put jackets, etc in or take something out, And the two clam shell sides are heavy. I worry about the strength of the zipper since that zipper receives a lot of stress when traveling.

This thread prompted me to finally go out and buy what I wanted, a midsize suitcase with a lid and exterior compartments. I got a great deal at Kohls, too. :)

I have never owned the hard shell, but I ended up looking a ton of places and went with soft side because I could get a very light weight product. I have enough trouble staying under 50 lbs in my largest suitcase, I don't need a heavy suitcase to start.

I think my final purchase was from T.J. Maxx. They had some great prices.
This is why I don't think I'll ever own a hard case...like you I have trouble staying under 50 with a soft case.

I suppose if it was a really small suitcase I could, but otherwise no.

Reactions: Iya
This is why I don't think I'll ever own a hard case...like you I have trouble staying under 50 with a soft case.

Our hard shell cases are super light - even lighter than our Samsonite soft side luggage.

It really depends. A lightweight, thin shell polycarbonate piece might weigh about as much as an equivalent fabric piece. Here's a 26" (body is 26"x19.5"x11.5") polycarbonate spinner weighing 9.5 lbs.

https://www.ricardobeverlyhills.com/san-clemente/san-clemente-26-inch-spinner-upright/056-26-044-4vp

Here's a 25" (body is 25"x18"x 10.5") nylon spinner weighing 9.3 lbs:

https://www.ricardobeverlyhills.com...ta-2-0-25-inch-spinner-upright/050-25-001-4vp

However, some of the weight from fabric-sided luggage is needed for external pockets. They would probably be lighter if they didn't have the additional zippers and fabric needed for the pockets.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter