New Luxury Disneyland Hotel put on hold

Wait a minute........ did they close Earl of Sandwich and now...... nothing? This is just stupid.

Right! The first thing they should have done was find a new spot for Earl. Earl is too important! Earl must be resurrected immediately. If they aren't going to build here, re-open Earl now!

Actually, the biggest loss is the movie theater. I mean, they can get other restaurants and such to move in (or back in), but the Movie Theater is such a purpose-built building that I may be hard to change.

While I hate to see this I also didn't really like the revised plan after the eastern gateway project got shelved. I didn't like how much the location would change the flow of things.

However this is petty for the city council to cancel the breaks this close to the project being started. Maybe holding out hope it means they are going to negotitate on a different version of the project or something. Unlikely but you never know.

Hey... so if they are not going to start constuction can we get west coast rundisney races back? :-)

While I hate to see this I also didn't really like the revised plan after the eastern gateway project got shelved. I didn't like how much the location would change the flow of things.

However this is petty for the city council to cancel the breaks this close to the project being started. Maybe holding out hope it means they are going to negotitate on a different version of the project or something. Unlikely but you never know.

Hey... so if they are not going to start constuction can we get west coast rundisney races back? :-)
I think this only delays any sort of runDisney comeback more.

...I also didn't really like the revised plan after the eastern gateway project got shelved. I didn't like how much the location would change the flow of things.

I agree with that.

However this is petty for the city council to cancel the breaks this close to the project being started.

They aren't cancelling the tax incentive (there are other 4-diamond hotels being built that qualify), they are saying the current location doesn't qualify. It does seem like the council finding a loophole to get out of a deal they didn't like. However, this should have come up when this hotel was announced last year.

Right! The first thing they should have done was find a new spot for Earl. Earl is too important! Earl must be resurrected immediately. If they aren't going to build here, re-open Earl now!

Actually, the biggest loss is the movie theater. I mean, they can get other restaurants and such to move in (or back in), but the Movie Theater is such a purpose-built building that I may be hard to change.

The first and last thing I did on my only trip to Disneyland was go straight to Earl. It was a great decision. We go to Disney Springs pretty much solely to go to Earl.

I agree with that.

They aren't cancelling the tax incentive (there are other 4-diamond hotels being built that qualify), they are saying the current location doesn't qualify. It does seem like the council finding a loophole to get out of a deal they didn't like. However, this should have come up when this hotel was announced last year.

Cancelling the incentive for disney on a technicality after disney had already put a bunch of money into planning, removing tenants, etc. I guess the city council was expeting disney would still go ahead after all that planning.

At this point, I wish the two sides would work together and find a way to make the original eastern gateway project or some variation work for eveybody. Very unlikely but would be the best plan.

Though since the mayor is leaving this year I bet they will put a bunch of money in toward getting a more pro-disney mayor in office.

From the article, new city council members were elected that clearly said they were opposed to Disney just after the passing of the tax package. Now the city can reap the benefits of this position and the loss of new tax revenues and new jobs. Of course passing the new living wage might have accomplished the same thing. Wonder if the vote on amending the tax package for August 20th has been withdrawn?

Where's the petition. I'll sign! We stayed at DLH on our last trip. One of the selling points may or may not have been its proximity to EOS. :tongue:

Funding choice candidates did not work in the past, supporting four candidates Jordan Brandman, Lucille Kring, Steve Chavez Lodge, and Steve Faessel: https://voiceofoc.org/2016/11/disney-breaks-its-own-spending-record-in-anaheim-election/
Lucille Kring and Steve Faessel were successful but the other two were not (http://anaheim.net/173/City-Council). The seven member council therefore is tipped against Disney.
Two districts hold elections this fall, 2 & 6. This election may bring the board to 9 members overall.

The Voice of Orange County link voiceofoc.org noted above was really informative on the council elections in the past and setting up the current situation of withdrawing the tax incentives.

Last edited:
Here is my question on the whole thing. The site of the new hotel has been known and public for months. If the city didn't think the new location fit the requirements for the subsity why did they wait so long to say something?

Here is my question on the whole thing. The site of the new hotel has been known and public for months. If the city didn't think the new location fit the requirements for the subsity why did they wait so long to say something?
Because they want to be difficult.

Outside of this Disney was having an issue with the fact this site used to be a gas station a long time ago. That was delaying the start of construction before this issue.

Because they want to be difficult.

Outside of this Disney was having an issue with the fact this site used to be a gas station a long time ago. That was delaying the start of construction before this issue.

Kinda what I figured. They could have brought this up months ago if they wanted to. I guess they were hoping disney would go ahead anyway and they got to keep the money.

I wonder why Disney changed the planned location of this hotel in the first place. It was to be built on a current parking lot. This new hotel would also result in the demolition of said parking lot. Either way, they were losing a parking lot. Why did the Eastern Gateway project falling through affect this hotel on the other side of Harbor anyway? I'm still not clear on that.

All Disney has to do is move the hotel back to the parking lot site. It's close enough without being IN Downtown Disney.

I wonder why Disney changed the planned location of this hotel in the first place. It was to be built on a current parking lot. This new hotel would also result in the demolition of said parking lot. Either way, they were losing a parking lot. Why did the Eastern Gateway project falling through affect this hotel on the other side of Harbor anyway? I'm still not clear on that.

All Disney has to do is move the hotel back to the parking lot site. It's close enough without being IN Downtown Disney.
The Eastern Gateway falling through changed the entire parking plan for the resort.

They need as much available parking as they can for Star Wars. The DTD location wouldn’t have taken any parking away.

Yes it would have, especially during the construction phase. That's why they were planning to close that whole parking lot soon. . After construction, the lot would have been the port cochere and front entrance for the hotel.

Yes it would have, especially during the construction phase. That's why they were planning to close that whole parking lot soon. . After construction, the lot would have been the port cochere and front entrance for the hotel.
Not nearly the amount it would have had this hotel went into the Simba lot. The Eastern Gateway falling through changed a lot of plans.

I have a strong inclination to believe this hotel will still be built in DTD spot it has been targeted for. It just may take longer than they wanted.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!