New Magnum P.I.

Anyone watch? I watched the first 2. I just can't get into it. :(

Anyone watch? I watched the first 2. I just can't get into it. :(

You got farther than me. :headache:

I didn't know there was already a thread for this show. I wrote this already on a different TV show thread:

I watched part of Magnum P.I., and eventually had to turn it off. Even before watching, just from the previews I thought Jay Hernandez is no replacement for Tom Selleck. But, mostly, I couldn't stand the actress they got to play Higgins. Much of the original show was the exchanges & quips between Magnum & Higgins. Casting that cold fish as Higgins just didn't work for me. I was watching, actually saying, "Oh here is where they try to soften her up for us, so that her character is not as unlikable as she appears. . ." Obviously, it wasn't working for me, that I could point it out in the writing instead of feeling anything. :headache: Being cold, haughty and British works brilliantly when one is Maggie Smith and has the acting chops to then turn and pull out believable softness and endearing qualities on a dime. This actress, IMO, is no Maggie Smith.

Jay Hernandez. He's cute, but he's no Tom Selleck.

He doesn't have the right...presence. Magnum needs to be laid back but in charge and can command the room the minute he walks in. This guy...might get a glance or three, but he's just not right.

EXACTLY!!! Tom Selleck's Magnum had a charm, affable quality and self deprecating humor that gave the show a light touch, while still being serious at the same time. He also had the looks to turn all women's heads and command the room & win the respect of all the males as he walks in. (Except the men who were out to beat him up of course. :duck: )

Jay Hernandez doesn't have any of that. He's more like he should have been cast as Magnum's short wing man instead of as Magnum. Like in Top Gun, there's Goose. . . and then there's Maverick. Goose was good looking too, but he didn't have the presence & magnetism of Tom Cruise - who was even able to make Maverick seem a lot taller than he was. ;)

This Magnum P.I. also seems a bit heavy handed in tone, violence & special effects. They are trying too hard. I think it's because they lack all the qualities Tom Selleck brought to the role.

If they are going to call a re-boot the same as the old show, Magnum, P.I., then have some of the same tone or qualities of the old show and hire an actor that can fill those shoes. If they are simply going to rip off certain details like a private eye in Hawaii with 2 BFFs who help him on cases and squabbling with a staff member who runs the house & grounds, and make the show very different, then do that and call the show something else. The way A Million Little Pieces, seems loosely based on the same idea, The Big Chill, was about.

Last edited:
I love the Lethal Weapon series. It's my favorite of the remakes. Clayne Crawford is awesome in that role. Damon Wayans is the perfect partner for him.

Clayne Crawford was fired from the show for being a real *******. And this week, Damon Wayans (unofficially) said he's leaving the show after this season.

Watching , but just not the same. Not really into it yet. I will keep at it for awhile.
I do like MacGyver and Hawaii 5-0

I tried watching the first episode, but neither Dh or I wanted to finish it out.

Years ago when we visited Hawaii while the original show was still being filmed there, a tour guide told us local women called Tom Selleck Magnum Yum Yum!

Why can't Tom Selleck be Magnum again, My dream come true

th

Magnum of old

th

Magnum of old

Hey, Angela Landsbury did it, as the character of Jessica Fletcher, on Murder She Wrote. Dick Van Dyke did it in Diagnosis Murder. That genre of mysteries is called "cozies." Although, they usually don't use a gun in that genre. Older Magnum could still have the charm & humor when a lot of older women, divorcees & widows are still chasing after him. And he could still be driving that Ferrari around the island. :car:

OH MY GOSS ?? Are you kidding me ? This is all about this new Magnum P. I. CBS has just started. There is NO ONE that can play that role but Tom Selleck , and the cast that started with him. Forget It. That like putting someone else to play the role in Quigley Down Under again Tom Selleck was the one actor to play that role. That's like Butch Cassity and the Sundance Kid, only Newman and Redford could have played those role's no one else. Lonesome Dove, with Robert Duvall, he was great in that no one but no one could have played that part as well as he did. Sam Elliott and Tom Selleck in the shows they played together, GREAT Sam Elliott is great all by him self. OH, I know all of you are going to say this women is just an old gal, who only like.s the older actors. WRONG. i AM FROM OKLAHOMA AND PROUD TO DAY WE HAVE ALOT OF GOOD ACTORS AND SONG WRITTER.S FROM OUT STATE. I AM the same age as Mr. Selleck Look me up on Facebook SixkillerSharon not bad looking for an old gal hu?

Now back to this joe hernandez they pick out to do a rerun of Magnum P.I. I'm not saying this guy isn't a good actor maybe in the right role he would be great. BUT NOT THIS ONE. SORRY.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!