New Magnum P.I.

Watching. And hoping for improvement. What I like about the MacGyver reboot is that the main character is that while they used some of the main characters from the original, but built a whole new series around it.

This one is trying to be a near carbon-copy of the old series, which I don't think will go over well long-term. But I could be wrong.

I don't normally voice out my opinion for such things like reboots. Sometimes they do get it right. But not this time 'round.

I have strong memories of the television show Magnum, P.I. growing up and when I heard that they had decided to make a reboot of the show, I found myself smiling a lot. When I saw the first episode, I was beyond disappointed. The Mini-Magnum character fall way short(pun) compared to the original. It's as if they didn't even try to write a good script to bring the show back to life. They just ride it out on name recognition alone. It's not enough.

What's with the "white-washing" of the actor who plays Magnum? Jay Hernandez is playing a character named Thomas Sullivan Magnum IV. It doesn't fit. I understand that the show is Magnum, P.I. (without the comma), but this is very insulting. Shameful. A Mexican-American that can't have the dignity of keeping his identity without Hollywood bleaching him first for general audiences. A Mexican descent person can't even get a real name when hired to work in Hollywood, not landscaping, but on the boob-tube as a leading character. Jay Hernandez should sue. We'll chock it up to bad casting, maybe.

The recasting of the Female Higgins is a good break from the original "boys club" the original show was. Although the original formula translated well, this new recipe may help this disaster from leaving a nasty stink-mark on the franchise. It will though, because the show is horribly bad. Sack Peter Lenkov and his lazy crew of amateur writers, because they haven't finished school yet and doesn't deserve to work in prime time. It's like pulling teeth out there.

This most recent episode was the best one so hopefully they’ve settled in and everyone is comfortable now. I do like the new Higgins. I had my doubts but I do like her.

I only watched the first episode. The only part I liked was when he got the original ferrari. I don't care for the new Higgins. It doesn't seem like Magnum to me...it's like I'm watching another show and he just happens to have the same name.

Anyone still watching? I am. I’ll admit, I had my doubts but I actually like it now. Tonight’s was a little darker than normal. Looks like it won’t be on again until after Jan 1.

Still watching, but he is not Magnum. I really don't like Higgins either.
I have to think of it as a whole different show

I'm still watching and still enjoying it. I like that it has a lighter tone than so many other crime dramas. And it will fill the void for my Hawaii fix once H50 is gone.

Anyone still watching? I am. I’ll admit, I had my doubts but I actually like it now. Tonight’s was a little darker than normal. Looks like it won’t be on again until after Jan 1.
I’ve watched every episode and enjoy them. Of course, I’ve never seen the original. So I’m not comparing this to anything. I’m really enjoying what CBS is putting on. I also really like FBI.

I’ve watched every episode and enjoy them. Of course, I’ve never seen the original. So I’m not comparing this to anything. I’m really enjoying what CBS is putting on. I also really like FBI.
Same here, on both counts. I roll my eyes at the ridiculous number of remakes on TV (and movies) but I still give them a try. If I cut out the remakes, there wouldn't be much left these days.

And yes, I think it helps that I never watched the originals.

Other then being in Hawaii and driving a Ferrari, I don't see much similarities in the show. Basically, it is yet one more detective/crime/police/doctor show like so many others now on.

DH is a HUGE Magnum (Tom Selleck) fan. Has the entire series on DVD and owns a replica Magnum Hawaiian shirt. He can't stand this reboot. He feels they just took the character names and made a detective show that takes place in Hawaii, with the main character driving a Ferrari. He's tried watching it, but every time he watches, he says "Something's not right..."

I felt the same way about MacGyver. I loved that show and also have the entire series on DVD. I tried very hard to like the reboot and forced myself to watch the entire first season. The actor who played Murdoc is quite good, but the show overall is quite different, IMO. The original MacGyver was kind of a lone wolf, while the new one has a whole team. Just not the same.

DH is a HUGE Magnum (Tom Selleck) fan. Has the entire series on DVD and owns a replica Magnum Hawaiian shirt. He can't stand this reboot. He feels they just took the character names and made a detective show that takes place in Hawaii, with the main character driving a Ferrari. He's tried watching it, but every time he watches, he says "Something's not right..."

I felt the same way about MacGyver. I loved that show and also have the entire series on DVD. I tried very hard to like the reboot and forced myself to watch the entire first season. The actor who played Murdoc is quite good, but the show overall is quite different, IMO. The original MacGyver was kind of a lone wolf, while the new one has a whole team. Just not the same.

How about Hawaii 5-0? The original series was real cheesy, but the way the current Steve and Danny bicker like an old married couple just makes the show unwatchable.

I have watched every episode this season and really enjoy the show. It’s not my normal type of show but I really like it. I also have never seen the original.

How about Hawaii 5-0? The original series was real cheesy, but the way the current Steve and Danny bicker like an old married couple just makes the show unwatchable.

I really like Hawaii 5-0.....better than the original

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter