New Monorail Fleet Ordered?

If true, I believe Bombardier has driverless/pilotless monorails already deployed. I wonder if WDW would follow suit?

Regardless of the design, I guess there is zero chance of getting a front cockpit ride ever again as a guest (it was incredibly entertaining).

If true, I believe Bombardier has driverless/pilotless monorails already deployed. I wonder if WDW would follow suit?

Regardless of the design, I guess there is zero chance of getting a front cockpit ride ever again as a guest (it was incredibly entertaining).
The current WDW monorails are already automated. They keep drivers in the cabs just in case.

The current WDW monorails are already automated. They keep drivers in the cabs just in case.

Then, I wonder if they will remove the drivers as a means to control costs while believing redundant automation will be sufficient? Somehow, I feel better knowing there is a human in the cab should a system encounter a failure.

The article mentioned that this is likely the reason they cancelled the Main St. Theatre project... Im ok with this... Monorails are long overdue

If that is a true cause and effect I'm also good with it. It's more important to make sure the iconic things WDW has work properly than to keep growing the offerings. When things are shoddy or broken it just ruins the experience. The monorail is too iconic to be as far overdue for replacement as they let it get. Fix the broken and tired things, then go back to adding more. The more you add, the more needs to be maintained. Don't fall behind on maintenance and updating!

Innovia 300s always seemed like the logical replacement. Modifying the nose cone shouldn't be an issue as there are several variants out there on the trains already. If Disney goes with the standard design for the cabin, it'll be interesting since they are traditionally open cabins allowing pax to move between trains but also have more limited seating.

Some decent info here for those who are unfamiliar: http://www.monorails.org/tMspages/TPInnovia300.html

Beam width is said to be 27.2" compared to 26" that the WDW and Vegas systems operate on. I would imagine they'll be able to modify to accommodate it. Otherwise, could see delivers scheduled to allow for one line to be modified at a time.

I think the odds are good that the monorails will be replaced in the next 5-10 years, so this article makes a lot of sense. It is only a rumor at this point, so I don't want to get too excited. Even so, Disney needs to do something if they want to keep the monorails operating at the resort much longer. This also is the best explanation that I've heard for the abrupt closure of the Main Street Theater, especially with the bad press for the open door recently.

Innovia 300s always seemed like the logical replacement. Modifying the nose cone shouldn't be an issue as there are several variants out there on the trains already. If Disney goes with the standard design for the cabin, it'll be interesting since they are traditionally open cabins allowing pax to move between trains but also have more limited seating.

Some decent info here for those who are unfamiliar: http://www.monorails.org/tMspages/TPInnovia300.html

Beam width is said to be 27.2" compared to 26" that the WDW and Vegas systems operate on. I would imagine they'll be able to modify to accommodate it. Otherwise, could see delivers scheduled to allow for one line to be modified at a time.
Considering WDW transportation went from busses with more much more seating to busses with more open standing (and total) capacity..I’d guess they would choose the monorail configuration with greatest total capacity, too.

Well, I'm not asking for a name...

I "know a guy" pretty high up at Disney Corporate (Director level) and the stuff he tells me isn't confidential (security related).
Ok its from someone that works in transportation.

Does it matter? For all realistic purposes, both the story on WDWNT and RTeetz could be correct right now. They could be "ordered" from the point of view that the decision has been made while at the same time "not ordered" from the point of view that the contract is not signed. Or it could all be a rumor and WDWNT could have been snookered. Or RTeetz is being lied to or the source hasn't been told.

The WDWNT story makes sense, but that doesn't really mean anything. Similarly, "not ordered" as of now, doesn't mean not happening, even in the relatively short term.

It's a good rumor to discuss on the Rumors Board.

Does it matter? For all realistic purposes, both the story on WDWNT and RTeetz could be correct right now. They could be "ordered" from the point of view that the decision has been made while at the same time "not ordered" from the point of view that the contract is not signed. Or it could all be a rumor and WDWNT could have been snookered. Or RTeetz is being lied to or the source hasn't been told.

The WDWNT story makes sense, but that doesn't really mean anything. Similarly, "not ordered" as of now, doesn't mean not happening, even in the relatively short term.

It's a good rumor to discuss on the Rumors Board.
I was told they were still in negotiations so that means no deal is settled on. They are definitely talking to people. Just because it makes sense doesn't mean its true. Disney does things that make no sense all the time. I don't believe I am being lied to. If I felt I was I wouldn't be reporting such info.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts