New Monorail Fleet Ordered?

Here is where we seem to be. New monorails are planned for the future sooner rather than later with the possibility of them being here for the 50th. Bombardier is in talks as are other companies. Disney has not ordered a new fleet from any company as of yet but they are definitely looking to do so.

Here is where we seem to be. New monorails are planned for the future sooner rather than later with the possibility of them being here for the 50th. Bombardier is in talks as are other companies. Disney has not ordered a new fleet from any company as of yet but they are definitely looking to do so.

knowing how big a part of the opening and just the concept of the monorails as a form of transportation and how it is part of the "reveal" of MK and the Castle I think it would be very fitting to have new ones for the 50th

Not that Iger has asked me (yet) I am fully supportive!

That makes sense. They’re not exactly going to be here overnight, so three years doesn’t seem unfeasible to if not have a whole new fleet, to be well into the transition period

That makes sense. They’re not exactly going to be here overnight, so three years doesn’t seem unfeasible to if not have a whole new fleet, to be well into the transition period
Expect Igor to throw money at this to make it happen as soon as possible. This 50th thing seems to very important within the company and that shouldn't be taken lightly.

Expect Igor to throw money at this to make it happen as soon as possible. This 50th thing seems to very important within the company and that shouldn't be taken lightly.
I just think that no matter how you slice it, it’ll have to be done in phases over an extended period. There’s only so much they can make at one time. I believe the last train replacement cycle was done over a year or two

I just think that no matter how you slice it, it’ll have to be done in phases over an extended period. There’s only so much they can make at one time. I believe the last train replacement cycle was done over a year or two

The manufacturer can only do so much at once and it wouldn't make sense to take delivery of the first train and have sit and collect dust before the rest of the order is delivered. Depending on how things go, I can see a debut of new trains right on or around the 50th to tie it in to that and then phase the remaining trains in as they're delivered while the old ones are cycled out.

The manufacturer can only do so much at once and it wouldn't make sense to take delivery of the first train and have sit and collect dust before the rest of the order is delivered. Depending on how things go, I can see a debut of new trains right on or around the 50th to tie it in to that and then phase the remaining trains in as they're delivered while the old ones are cycled out.
We don't know the manufacturing practice of these companies. It is quite possible (and may be quicker)for them to build all the chassis and then install all the bodies and then install all the seating and then do all the fishing work rather than, build a chasis, build a body, install seats, finish, repeat (13 times). If thus is true then we might very well see an entire fleet delivered in mass.

There has been discussion on these boards regarding the condition of the beams. The monorail at Disneyland has been running for 16 more years than the WDW system. Based on pictures I've seen, the beams look the same as WDW beams. Does anyone know id the DL beams are in need of repair?

There has been discussion on these boards regarding the condition of the beams. The monorail at Disneyland has been running for 16 more years than the WDW system. Based on pictures I've seen, the beams look the same as WDW beams. Does anyone know id the DL beams are in need of repair?
I can't speak for the DL beams but those beams don't see the same weather conditions that the WDW ones see.

We don't know the manufacturing practice of these companies. It is quite possible (and may be quicker)for them to build all the chassis and then install all the bodies and then install all the seating and then do all the fishing work rather than, build a chasis, build a body, install seats, finish, repeat (13 times). If thus is true then we might very well see an entire fleet delivered in mass.

Good point. And there is nothing to say that they can't be manufactured in parallel to minimize integration time.

Not sure about the Disneyland ones - though those have seen more updates/modificaitons over the years right? With then going through the Grand Californian and changes to the Disneyland Hotel stop, etc.

As for WDW - my understanding was the Magic Kingdom loop wasn't too bad but the line that goes to EPCOT was built more cheaply and is more likely to fail/have issues

Not sure about the Disneyland ones - though those have seen more updates/modificaitons over the years right? With then going through the Grand Californian and changes to the Disneyland Hotel stop, etc.

As for WDW - my understanding was the Magic Kingdom loop wasn't too bad but the line that goes to EPCOT was built more cheaply and is more likely to fail/have issues
You are correct, the DL monorail has been modified several times over the years for expansions and changes to the park. Regarding the EPCOT loop, I would be surprised if Disney took a "cheap route" for that loop. The engineering/design and specified materials would need to meet the expected lifespan for the monorail which at this point in time, is in its infancy.

I'll be curious to see how long it actually takes them to switch the trains out once they are ready and what that'll mean for the Contemporary, Poly and Grand. I assume that room prices will stay the same and they'll just have buses to MK/Epcot for awhile? And more buses from the TTC to those parks?

I'll be curious to see how long it actually takes them to switch the trains out once they are ready and what that'll mean for the Contemporary, Poly and Grand. I assume that room prices will stay the same and they'll just have buses to MK/Epcot for awhile? And more buses from the TTC to those parks?
Don't you think that the hotel parking fees that were recently implemented figure into this? Sure makes sense to me. If the monorails weren't scheduled to be replaced until later or if a refurbishment was scheduled instead of a replacement, this would necessitate additional and sooner funding. The resorts all pay for WDW's transportation anyway so the parking fees make sense.

Here is a great link that details a huge problem WDW has with ordering new monorails: http://www.monorails.org/tMspages/TPBeams.html

Look at the beam size comparison. There is no current off the shelf suspension/drive system that will work. Not only are the beams the wrong size, but they run on the wrong voltage, with the Mark VI running on 600vdc and the Innovia 300 running on 750 vdc. Then there are questions about load bearing of the WDW beams being too small for the 300 system, and the fact that the 300 system simply won't fit in WDW stations.

Disney may end up buying all new monorails, but they won't be based on the most current and advanced system like the Innovia 300. Instead they are probably going to have to beg Bombardier to go back and build the trains they made for Las Vegas in 2004, either called the Mark VI-M or the Innovia 200 Monorail (yes, I know, they use 200 for something else now, but they used to use it for this). Those trains were essentially the Mark VI, and they were the last commercially available trains to run on the correct beam, as the LV system was based on WDW and even originally used repainted Mark IVs Disney sold them.

Unfortunately those cars for the 2004 LV monorail are neither the most up to date, nor the most reliable of monorails, suffering all kinds of problems that delayed the system 2 years.

How much is Bombardier going to throttle WDW for to get them to go back and build to old tech? I'd say Disney could go in with the LV monorail and do a larger order, but that system has gone bankrupt twice and probably is not looking for new trains...

Rock and a hard place for Disney.

It will likely be a gradual switch. I don’t think they’d shut down the entire system and switch the trains.

Here is a great link that details a huge problem WDW has with ordering new monorails: http://www.monorails.org/tMspages/TPBeams.html

Look at the beam size comparison. There is no current off the shelf suspension/drive system that will work. Not only are the beams the wrong size, but they run on the wrong voltage, with the Mark VI running on 600vdc and the Innovia 300 running on 750 vdc. Then there are questions about load bearing of the WDW beams being too small for the 300 system, and the fact that the 300 system simply won't fit in WDW stations.

Disney may end up buying all new monorails, but they won't be based on the most current and advanced system like the Innovia 300. Instead they are probably going to have to beg Bombardier to go back and build the trains they made for Las Vegas in 2004, either called the Mark VI-M or the Innovia 200 Monorail (yes, I know, they use 200 for something else now, but they used to use it for this). Those trains were essentially the Mark VI, and they were the last commercially available trains to run on the correct beam, as the LV system was based on WDW and even originally used repainted Mark IVs Disney sold them.

Unfortunately those cars for the 2004 LV monorail are neither the most up to date, nor the most reliable of monorails, suffering all kinds of problems that delayed the system 2 years.

How much is Bombardier going to throttle WDW for to get them to go back and build to old tech? I'd say Disney could go in with the LV monorail and do a larger order, but that system has gone bankrupt twice and probably is not looking for new trains...

Rock and a hard place for Disney.
Yep, that’s why anything Disney gets would have to be custom. The upside to going with Bombardier is they have worked together in the past and know the Disney system.

Don't you think that the hotel parking fees that were recently implemented figure into this? Sure makes sense to me. If the monorails weren't scheduled to be replaced until later or if a refurbishment was scheduled instead of a replacement, this would necessitate additional and sooner funding. The resorts all pay for WDW's transportation anyway so the parking fees make sense.
Probably so! The parking fees still confuse me since they supposedly started a month ago, yet I haven't heard of anyone actually getting charged yet.
It will likely be a gradual switch. I don’t think they’d shut down the entire system and switch the trains.
Right, so likely one beam at a time. Makes sense!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter