The times are off but those ARE very new posts... not sure what the problem is...

I miss being able to see which board the thread is posted on. There are certain boards I don't read (teen, VMK, UK...)

The old option allowed you to read the thread title as well as the board it was posted on.

As I posted earlier we will be adding the board name back to search shortly

Alex: I think the BoardTracker "New Posts" list is EXACTLY what I asked for earlier:
While we're at it.... :) :) :) Alex, do you think there will ever be a way to call up all the new THREADS (as opposed to the new messages -- i.e., the threads created after a certain time, either by forum or for the whole board)?????

I'm very happy, but I think that's why it looks like it isn't working the same as the old New Posts functionality -- because it isn't.

I'd personally prefer it stay this way!!!! :) If they do need to give folks back something more like the original New Posts functionality, could they please leave this functionality available somewhere. I believe it just requires a specific code entered into the search box, but it flashes away too fast so I cannot see what the code is.

Okay, I've got a bit more info on this. I hope you don't mind a little reverse-engineering...

The New Posts link has a few parameters on it:

search=site:disboards.com - This clearly directs the searching to just the DIS.

scope=0 - This search just for posts within the last 24 hours. Higher numbers search back further in time.

order=1 - This, I think, is a bit strange. A '1' here means "sort by relevancy". Switching this to '0' would sort by date. That might be a better choice under the circumstances.

do=getnew - This does the magic, I believe, choosing only threads that are new. I suspect BoardTracker added this just for the DIS, because I don't see how to do this from their own website.

I believe we can even limit the returned information to specific forums by adding some paramters to that effect on the URL. I've done so and it seems to work for me. So I'll keep my own URL for New Threads in my browser's bookmarks.

One other thing which is clear to me, but may not be clear to others, is that the results through BoardTracker are updated periodically. (Hourly maybe?) So if you hit New Posts again, it'll probably show you the same thing it did last time, and then every so often it'll show you a completely different set. I think this happens on the hour (at least) because I've noticed that the boards suddenly get a lot slower for a few minutes, right around 10:00 AM.

That's exactly right.
What they are working on now is upgrading the system so that search goes down to the post level (as an option) and adding the name of the forum that the post or thread came from

"As an option" -- Excellent! :thumbsup2

It seems, though, that the update is more often than once per hour... perhaps once per 10 or 15 minutes? That would account for the hiccoughs I sometimes notice with board performance, which seem to be more often than once per hour.

Amazing how much of that sort of thing you notice when you're on vacation for a week, and spend a lot of extra time online. :)

Well just hitting "new posts" by itself will probably do new posts but I don't see why we can't have an option somewhere
We can call it BickerSearch :)

I still don't get it. I hit page two, after looking at page one and it is the same as page one. What is the point of the different pages in the right hand corner. I'm sorry to be a complainer, I just miss the old way. New post, search, advanced search and I'm a happy girl. :sad2:

I am also missing the look and functionality of the old page. With the new way it "acts like a search"...I get to see the dog turn blue:rotfl: And the when I get to the bottom of the page I have to return to the top of the page to click over to the next page...this option is no longer on the bottom also.:confused3

I have to say, I'm utterly LOVING this new New Posts functionality. I knew I always wanted it, but it is much more convenient than I originally thought it would be. I highly recommend folks try it out -- for what it is -- in addition to looking forward to BoardTracker providing an update later to make it work more like the old New Posts functionality.

Generally, I make a decision when I see a thread for the first time whether it is interesting to me or not, and the subscribe to the threads I find interesting. This really facilitates that since it doesn't show older threads which folks are simply posting new messages to.

Try it! :)

I hate it.
I don't have time to wade through all the subjects looking for recently updated posts, so I find myself spending, literally, seconds on DISboards instead of hours.

I hate it.
I don't have time to wade through all the subjects looking for recently updated posts, so I find myself spending, literally, seconds on DISboards instead of hours.

Agreed!!! I know we have to try new things every once in awhile but I'm just NOT warming up to this new way!!! :guilty:

Alex, Thanks! :thumbsup2 I can use the middle one.

What happened to the third one so that it no longer works for me? Is this something that is bugged due to the upgrade?

Exactly, they are trying to figure it out. Doesn't work for me either and it drove me NUTS figuring it out

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter