New restrictions-more members exchanging points?

Back then, MS didn't have an easy way to track transfers and transferred points just assumed the home resort and use year of the contract into which they were transferred. Some Members were transferring large amounts of SSR or OKW points into BWV/BCV/VWL contracts and using those transferred points to book BWV/BCV/VWL during the home resort priority period and then renting those reservations. Many of those reservations were perceived to be "spec" reservations for popular weeks. Eventually DVC decided to act and that's when the transfer rule changed back to one per membership per use year, either into or out of the account, but not both in the same use year. (Believe that was the original rule which was later changed to unlimited and now is back to one).

Also around the time the transfer rule got changed, several members got letters re the "commercial renting" clause in our contracts and were told that more than 20 reservations would result in an audit to determine if they were in violation of the commercial renting clause. I don't know if any accounts were "frozen" as a result of those letters/audits, but if memory serves, several members stopped renting and sold off contracts shortly after those letters went out.

A lot of the "negativity" from some DISr's against renting stems from that period. I, for one, was quite disappointed that DVC allowed "point morphing" to go on so long before they moved to stop it.

Just a bit of history as I remember it. :)
Thanks I didn't know the details on exactly what was happening, just there was something weird. Though you seem to suggest they one time put the transfers to unlimited (while maintaining the point's resort status) so that would suggest their isn't a system limitation stopping them from allowing more than one (along with them waiving the requirement for members who transfer between their own accounts. I personally feel it probably is in place to prevent a renting business from popping up more easily (or to discourage small point transfer to keep costs down since a person is involved).

Thanks I didn't know the details on exactly what was happening, just there was something weird. Though you seem to suggest they one time put the transfers to unlimited (while maintaining the point's resort status) so that would suggest their isn't a system limitation stopping them from allowing more than one (along with them waiving the requirement for members who transfer between their own accounts. I personally feel it probably is in place to prevent a renting business from popping up more easily (or to discourage small point transfer to keep costs down since a person is involved).
Could be. But I believe MS used to just add the transferred points to the recipient's contract. They were supposed to add a note about those, but not all did and I doubt notes were checked when the owner called to book.

Again, I could be wrong, but I believe the system was altered to add one "virtual" contract to a membership. MS can see that, but we can't, which is why we now have to call to use transferred points. Also explains why points don't morph amymore. Training alone wasn't enough to prevent the morphing. And they needed to stop it completely or risk being accused of selling more points than certain resorts had space and/or violating the home resort booking priority rule.

We can agree to disagree on the system limitation. I don't know for sure. I just suspect, and also believe DVC does the minimum as far as systems go.

We can agree to disagree on the system limitation. I don't know for sure. I just suspect, and also believe DVC does the minimum as far as systems go.
Yeah but my point is people are doing more than one transfer if they own multiple UYs (they were allowing me and it involved 3 UYs) and others that I know. So something allows them to do it so they are system limited maybe resource limited (time and cost of the CM handling the transfers).

I’m sure, but if sales for Riviera aren’t seriously boosted by the resort being open, I think something will have to give. Maybe just bigger incentives though.

sales certainly won’t be helped by stories of people being told they cannot sleep in their beds on Christmas Eve 🙄

Yeah but my point is people are doing more than one transfer if they own multiple UYs (they were allowing me and it involved 3 UYs) and others that I know. So something allows them to do it so they are system limited maybe resource limited (time and cost of the CM handling the transfers).

Good to know. I asked once about this and was told no I’d be limited. I really don’t plan on ever doing, but at least if I do, I can expect to be able to have more than 1!

I transfer a lot between my smaller Dec contract and my larger Sept contract. Every time I make a transfer, they tell me I have used my once a year transfer in and out and then asked if I wanted to continue.

I transfer a lot between my smaller Dec contract and my larger Sept contract. Every time I make a transfer, they tell me I have used my once a year transfer in and out and then asked if I wanted to continue.
Are you implying Disney policies are enforced sporadically? Nah, doesn’t sound like them ;)

Or that the Skyliner is down again
Yeah, I wasn’t excited about RR for a lot of reasons (aesthetic wasn’t my style, location seemed weird, resale restrictions) but it’s like Disney is actively giving me additional reasons to not like it. I imagine I cannot be the only one who would never even consider buying there, I don’t care if it’s 100pp

ah, I didn’t realize the one transfer rule. I was thinking you could transfer them your points and they could transfer you their points. Knew there was something I was missing, otherwise people would have already thought of it 😉
Haha!! I thought the same thing when we first bought in 😉

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter