New Roseanne show “The Connors” will air on ABC without Roseanne Barr

Status
Not open for further replies.
People who liked the other characters. I always liked Dan and Jackie more in the original anyway. This has been done before with the show “Valerie” in the early 90’s. They got rid of the title character because of a dispute with the actress. The character had even shared the same name as the actress like this one. It was weird at first but it worked. The show went on several years without her. I think it could help them that John Goodman is such a strong actor.

Despite my eye rolling about reboots, this is a show watched in our house because my husband loves John Goodman and always has. I suspect he'll continue to watch.

actually ABC is taking a huge hit with advertising. they already sold all the space for the rosanne show at premium prices and not only did they have to refund all that money but they had to sell the new show at extremely reduced prices. I think variety estimated that this cost disney $75 million dollars. but since ABC got a new program director two years ago, the network is going downhill. only one of their new shows from last season is worth watching and they keep cancelling my favorite ones. the only thing worth watching anymore is the good doctor after cancelling designated survivor. also more and more of ABCs shows are shot in canada not the US

Is ABC doing an ESPN and just going downhill these days? Maybe they should focus on doing a few shows well cos they do seem to be forvever everything after a season or two

Watched it back in the day, it was different, it made me laugh.

Watched the first couple episodes this go round ............. what I learned. Child actors don't necessarily grow up to be adult actors. Guess it's easier to play pretend when you are young. Roseanne just playing herself means different things now than it did then, for the worse. The only two on that show who are good actors are John Goodman and Laurie Metcalf. The rest are painful to watch. I don't think it will bring worth to John and Laurie's careers, both of them have steady work. With sitcoms I think the goal is a long enough run to be picked up for reruns and them to collect nice residual checks. Unfortunately it seems those may have stopped on the first run shows to them because of all this, so the financial impact to them is mostly from that, not the show being cancelled.

We'll see if it lasts but I honestly don't think the other version was going to last. ABC is filling an empty spot for next year, will be surprised if they keep it.

Last edited:
Will this be similar to what they tried with Two and a Half Men after Charlie Sheen was tossed out?

ABC sucks they have nothing good to watch. No wonder abc is constantly going downhill. I’m a big Disney fan I wish they would have good shows on. I imagine this show will be better than most of the shows abc has. They need to learn from cbs and nbc. I see they did a little with that fire company spinoff copying from nbc Chicago fire. I watched a little of it but definitely not Chicago fire greatness.

I don't think there will be enough to the show without Rosanne to make it work.

ABC sucks they have nothing good to watch. No wonder abc is constantly going downhill. I’m a big Disney fan I wish they would have good shows on. I imagine this show will be better than most of the shows abc has. They need to learn from cbs and nbc. I see they did a little with that fire company spinoff copying from nbc Chicago fire. I watched a little of it but definitely not Chicago fire greatness.
I really don’t think much network television is all that good. The amount of non sports tv I watch is basically nonexistent at this point

When I first read this, he's who I thought of first. Yes, let the other actors show that they have talent also, and it starts with John Goodman. IMO, he was always the most talented one on that show.

Actually Laurie Metcalf is the most talented. Barr and Goodman have stated so. When the show was being put together they both really wanted her to be on the show.

Metcalf won three Emmy's compared to Barr's one.

Watched it back in the day, it was different, it made me laugh.

Watched the first couple episodes this go round ............. what I learned. Child actors don't necessarily grow up to be adult actors. Guess it's easier to play pretend when you are young. Roseanne just playing herself means different things now than it did then, for the worse. The only two on that show who are good actors are John Goodman and Laurie Metcalf. The rest are painful to watch. I don't think it will bring worth to John and Laurie's careers, both of them have steady work. With sitcoms I think the goal is a long enough run to be picked up for reruns and them to collect nice residual checks. Unfortunately it seems those may have stopped on the first run shows to them because of all this, so the financial impact to them is mostly from that, not the show being cancelled.

We'll see if it lasts but I honestly don't think the other version was going to last. ABC is filling an empty spot for next year, will be surprised if they keep it.

I watched the reboot.

My opinions:

Barr and Goodman were terrible. Like they both forgot how to act (or at least, perform as these characters).

Metcalf over-acted.

Sara Gilbert was just o.k.

Lecy Goranson was rusty at first and only got slightly better.

Sarah Chalke was very good. She can still act.

Michael Fishman was hardly featured, so I can't critique him.

Estelle Parsons didn't skip a beat.

The new grandchildren were kind of meh. The character of Darlene's daughter was beyond obnoxious and not funny at all.

I watched the original show. Although everyone was down on their luck, there was still humor.
With this reboot everyone was down on their luck, but there was no humor. The writing was simply bad and not funny.

I really don’t think much network television is all that good. The amount of non sports tv I watch is basically nonexistent at this point

I'm down to 4 shows, all on PBS ("This Old House", "Ask This Old House", "America's Test Kitchen", and "Cook's Country").

Before the "Roseanne" reboot the last show I watched on ABC/NBC/CBS was "Frasier".

I watched the reboot.

My opinions:

Barr and Goodman were terrible. Like they both forgot how to act (or at least, perform as these characters).

Metcalf over-acted.

Sara Gilbert was just o.k.

Lecy Goranson was rusty at first and only got slightly better.

Sarah Chalke was very good. She can still act.

Michael Fishman was hardly featured, so I can't critique him.

Estelle Parsons didn't skip a beat.

The new grandchildren were kind of meh. The character of Darlene's daughter was beyond obnoxious and not funny at all.

I watched the original show. Although everyone was down on their luck, there was still humor.
With this reboot everyone was down on their luck, but there was no humor. The writing was simply bad and not funny.

I actually rather liked the reboot - the actually my was definitely rough - especially at first, got a bit better as it went

I just liked how it showed how people can discuss different issues and often learn from it vs just seeing who can “shout the loudest” on social media and never actually hear the other side

Seems like a losing proposition. Spin offs RARELY do that well (there have been exceptions) and a direct spinoff where the star of the show is just plain missing? The fans that enjoyed Roseanne because of her direct humor won't tune in.

Can't believe they are wasting money making a show that probably won't do well in the already overcrowded TV show arena.

Seems like a losing proposition. Spin offs RARELY do that well (there have been exceptions) and a direct spinoff where the star of the show is just plain missing?

I would point to Frasier via Cheers. Cheers, led arguably by Ted Danson, was only used for cameo appearances on Frasier (Kelsey Grammer - who was nowhere near being a lead character). But your point is valid that the odds are likely stacked against them.

I would point to Frasier via Cheers. Cheers (led arguably by Ted Danson) was only used for cameo appearances on Frasier (Kelsey Grammer - who was nowhere near being a lead character). But your point is valid that the odds are likely stacked against them.
True - like I said there are spin-off exceptions .. it all depends really what the plot/tone of the show will be.

If it is just trying to be "Roseanne" (a blue-collar family comedy) without Roseanne .. I doubt it will work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter