New runner training question

quandrea

DIS Veteran
Just started running this week. I’m using the training program from Jeff Galloway for the Princess Half. I’ve done my two thirty minute runs. Sunday should be the “long” 2 mile run. I’m already covering over 2 miles on the thirty minute runs. Should I just go forward in the program to the point at which the long run is longer than my thirty minute run? How long should my first long run be on Sun?

Just started running this week. I’m using the training program from Jeff Galloway for the Princess Half. I’ve done my two thirty minute runs. Sunday should be the “long” 2 mile run. I’m already covering over 2 miles on the thirty minute runs. Should I just go forward in the program to the point at which the long run is longer than my thirty minute run? How long should my first long run be on Sun?

You have plenty of time before Princess, so I would just stick with his schedule for now. Early in a training plan it's tempting to up your mileage, but that can lead to injury. You not only want to consider the length of any given run but also the cumulative number of miles in a week you are running. The programs always start out very slow and easy and then build up, but even though it may feel too easy, I'd stick with the plan as written and let it build up your endurance gradually.

What’s your current exercise routine? If this is totally something new, just stick with the schedule. But if you are already working out regularly, then just make your long run another 30 minute run. Or you could simply do the 2 mile run/walk and add another mile walk for fitness.

What’s your current exercise routine? If this is totally something new, just stick with the schedule. But if you are already working out regularly, then just make your long run another 30 minute run. Or you could simply do the 2 mile run/walk and add another mile walk for fitness.
I exercise six days a week, thirty minutes at a time. Walking, treadmill, elliptical. Some weight training twice a week. Active home life.

Not actually training for the Princess Half (I might run it with my daughter). Just using it as a guide to start my training safely.

I exercise six days a week, thirty minutes at a time. Walking, treadmill, elliptical. Some weight training twice a week. Active home life.
IMHO I would do the 2 miles, then add on a walk for fitness if the weather is an issue like it is here. If you aren’t 100% running Princess (which isn’t until Feb anyway), there’s no rush to get your mileage up. But if weather isn’t a factor, continue repeating the 30 minutes.

BUT if you are even thinking of Princess in the corner of your mind, you might want to consider finding a local 10k in the fall to get a POT (just in case you need it!) and training for that. I find that it’s always easier to train for an actual event, plus the 10k is a challenging (but fun and doable) distance if you are starting out and thinking of an eventual half. Just something to think about.

IMHO I would do the 2 miles, then add on a walk for fitness if the weather is an issue like it is here. If you aren’t 100% running Princess (which isn’t until Feb anyway), there’s no rush to get your mileage up. But if weather isn’t a factor, continue repeating the 30 minutes.

BUT if you are even thinking of Princess in the corner of your mind, you might want to consider finding a local 10k in the fall to get a POT (just in case you need it!) and training for that. I find that it’s always easier to train for an actual event, plus the 10k is a challenging (but fun and doable) distance if you are starting out and thinking of an eventual half. Just something to think about.
Excellent advice. Thank you. I found a local event the last week of September. I think I’ll do the 10 k. I’m going to ask my daughter if she’d like to do the half that same weekend. It would be good off season training from her swimming.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter