New security measure: Do not disturb signs being Removed!

Discussion in 'Disney Rumors and News' started by BraveLittleToaster2, Dec 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. esmoglo

esmoglo Earning My Ears

Got it thanks.

2. Mommy Of 3

Mommy Of 3 Mouseketeer

I LOVE your profile pic!!

3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. Mikeyuk

Mikeyuk Earning My Ears

I like to think I can be in a hotel room without being disturbed. So this security idea does bother me a little but I suppose we can use the deadlock or just see how it pans out.

With regards to housekeeping just walking in on you, I think this is unlikely any more than it can happen accidentally anyway.

Once I had just checked into a hotel in Santa Fe, had a shower, was in the room naked when there was a knock at the door and it opened immediately. It was the housekeeping supervisor checking to see if everything was ok. I stood there naked and she didn’t even seem to bother or bat an eyelid and carried on asking how we were and where from etc for about 2 or 3 mins. (You’d think she would have said oops and left immediately)

Not sure if that was some kinda security thing or just an accident, but she knocked the door, walked straight in and chatted as though we were in the hotel lobby lol. She never came back though, so maybe my nakedness scared her haha

Summer2018 likes this.
  5. beer dave

beer dave IMOLOL

and the resale prices are astronomical!

Grumpy_42K likes this.
  6. marikujawa

marikujawa Arblover

I looked through my DVC documents and they contain the same language as the new sign. They don't need reasonable cause to come into the room. At least that's what my contract says, and I suspect they're all the same.

Dean Marino likes this.
  7. Krandor

Krandor Mouseketeer

I’m at all star movies and today during housekeeping they replaced the privacy with room occupied signs. So it is beyond monorail resorts.

8. OSUZorba

OSUZorba DIS Veteran

One time when I was traveling for work. I checked into a hotel room at a Hampton Inn. As soon as I got into the room I took off my business clothes to change, but was walking around in my boxers. All of a sudden I hear the door open and it was a family of four with two 10-12yo daughters. Instead of saying opps, the parents felt the need to try to make conversation.

Any ways, the front desk guy had my room number in his head and actually made their keys for my room. I was pretty paranoid for a while after that.

Summer2018, Grumpy_42K and dreiwhit like this.
  9. Christy702

Christy702 Mouseketeer

Just got back from a trip from 1/5-1/10. We stayed at ASMusic and opted out of housekeeping. We never put the new sign on the door, and we were in the room during the afternoons every day, but no one ever came by while we there. Maybe we just got lucky.

Summer2018 likes this.
  10. umichigan10

umichigan10 DIS Veteran

I’m fairly confident given the few anecdotal replies on this thread and my own personal hunch (that’s been brought up before here) that nothing is really going to change. I think this is just a policy in place in the rare extreme instance that they do suspect something insidious at play (and to deter someone from considering something of the like) that they can and will enter your room for security reasons

marikujawa likes this.
  11. WDW_Ding

WDW_Ding Ohana means family.

While true, if I'm paying Disney prices ($200+ per night) I don't think it is unreasonable for me to have an expectation of privacy.

I'm not saying that Disney shouldn't be proactive about this sort of thing, but coming in to my room every day for a welfare check seems a bit much. I gather that they knock first, which is the least they could do, but after enough people get walked-in on while in the shower, Disney is likely to see some sexual harassment lawsuits.

I haven't gotten that email yet, FWIW.

saskdw and Summer2018 like this.
  12. crazy4wdw

crazy4wdw Co-Moderator, Restaurant Board Moderator

13. maxiesmom

maxiesmom The Mean Squinty Eye Works

I can see them reiterating to guests to use the latch/dead bolt on their doors. Just so things like walking in on someone in the shower or someone in their undies doesn't happen.

DisneyOma and Summer2018 like this.
  14. starry_solo

starry_solo DIS Veteran

It was?! No wonder I couldn't find that post anymore.

22Tink and Summer2018 like this.
  15. anm0423

anm0423 Earning My Ears

Staying at Pop Century right now. Arrived yesterday. Had a male cast member knock about 9:30AM this morning to do a "visual check" of our hotel room. It was so awkward and I am still feeling uneasy about it. We declined housekeeping upon check in ($30 gift card) as we don't like people in our room.

Sometime this afternoon they must have came in our room too as there are soap dispensers in the shower that were not there last night.

WDW_Ding and saskdw like this.
  16. saskdw

saskdw DIS Veteran

Hilarious that they quoted one person that "welcomes" the extra security when there are 100's of people on DIS saying they will never stay at WDW again if this policy sticks. This is actually the first report I've seen that tried to put a positive spin on this policy.

Ninja Mom, Grumpy_42K and dreiwhit like this.
  17. Farro

Farro It's a pasta! It's a grain! What?

I'd be curious to see how many of those 100's of people actually won't stay at WDW resorts again because of this new policy. I'm thinking that number will go down a bit. :D

ncc1701 likes this.
  18. Mackenzie Click-Mickelson

Mackenzie Click-Mickelson DIS Veteran

Probably the same amount of people who said they wouldn't stay at WDW resorts due to the dog policy and actually mean it :D

Farro likes this.
  19. DaisyDuck001

DaisyDuck001 DIS Veteran

I did cancel a ten-day reservation at one of the suddenly dog-friendly resorts last fall when it started accepting pet dogs shortly before my arrival. Some of us do actually mean it.

20. Mackenzie Click-Mickelson

Mackenzie Click-Mickelson DIS Veteran

Of course so. You're looking for some mean statement in there that wasn't there. That wasn't my intent.

I didn't say that no one meant it when they said it. The brave people are the ones who say it and actually mean it because it's easy to say "I'm not going to stay onsite because of X policy" it's another to actually mean it.

Clearly you fall into the brave category.

21. Disneylover99

Disneylover99 DIS Veteran

Are they shampoo dispensers? :offtopic: Sorry. This just caught my attention.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.