New security measure: Do not disturb signs being Removed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I understand, the wireless protocol that's currently being used for location detection (eg. on rides) is quite short range. Of course they could move to a longer range protocol, but that's going to have power implications, likely meaning either a replaceable or rechargeable battery (with no reason to believe that the user would bother), and/or forced frequent replacement, probably at increased cost.

So while location tracking is hypothetically possible, they can't do it now, beyond limited location detection in specific areas while the battery lasts (rides) and the direct use of the band on park entry, FP touchpoints, or for payment. And of those, the only one that's reliable is the park entry. The rest could be use of the band by someone other than the owner.

That said, to the extent that Disney can track your movement at this time, it would be wise to assume they are doing exactly that.

That said, I would imagine they don't have the equipment in place at resorts to track where you are, so they would probably only be able to tell if you are in a park.

I don't assume that at all.

In fact, I'd assume the opposite. Think about all the kids at WDW, and how often one of them wanders off. If that kid is wearing a MB, and the location of the MB could be tracked, then they'd be able to quickly locate that child.

Again, why wouldn't they want to do that?

Cameras are also pretty inexpensive. Wouldn't surprise me to know that WDW was full of them. Most American cities are full of them these days.

Last edited:
Staying at the Boardwalk Villas now. Today around 11 am get a knock at the door saying “housekeeping” (but our trash and towel day was yesterday, so I’m confused). I open the door and it’s a large man and a woman together holding garbage bags but no cart in sight... I say thanks but you guys came yesterday...so...no thanks? They tell me we now get garbage collection everyday. I ask if they can come back in about an hour after we’ve left (I’m still not getting it, lol, had no idea they were security) They actually insisted on coming in. I’m traveling as a woman alone with my teenage daughter (teenager=sleeping in late), we are still in pj’s eating our pancakes. They insisted on searching the room! I asked nicely if just the lady could do it: he said no but she said it was ok... so thanks I guess? I’m not ok as a woman having to get searched like this. Not cool. Jeez guys, if it’s going to be like this just track my activity in the parks. It’s obvious I had fast passes and meals into the later hours. Pretty sure we fit the late start/ late nighter profile. Also we are long-term DVC members and season pass holders. We’ve been coming here FOREVER...

I was traveling and the hotel didn’t have do not disturb signs.

Well I was in the process of self love and didn’t hear the knock on the door for housekeeping.

I’m sure I’m not the only one who had this experience.

My biggest issue with this is that while Disney's intention is to use this to improve guest safety what's to say that the individual carrying out the check is as pure and trust worthy and is upholding that same intention? They may represent Disney but they're still an individual with their own free thoughts. I imagine they'll have some background check but if it's anything like the old CRB in the UK it's only as good as the day the check is done.

Sure the same argument could apply to room service but at least you could turn them away. From the way this sounds you're basically forced to have an individual that you don't know enter your room whether you like it or not, and potentially while you're actually in that room.

I'm not trying to spread paranoia but anyone, male or female, young or elderly has the right to find this invasive in my opinion. I appreciate Disney continuing to improve guest safety but there has to be an alternative to this.

id rather be safe then sorry. Disney does a great job of keeping everyone safe all the while still being extremely vulnerable.

From what I've observed most of the people supporting this policy or saying it's no big deal are the park commando type.
Not true. We are half day park types. The rest of the time is spent in our villa or at the resort. The new policy was almost completely unobtrusive over a seventeen night stay. I truly don’t understand the uproar here.

If we were headed out early, I always called housekeeping to let them know, asking for trash service/trash-towel service/full clean while we were gone. I was always accommodated.

On the days we were around all day, I kept the room occupied sign up. Somehow, they still did their check during the brief windows where we stepped out.

If you want to nap or otherwise not be bothered in the afternoon, just call housekeeping requesting early service when you leave in the morning. I do this no matter where in the world I stay so I have a clean room upon my return.

"just call house keeping and request early service..."
Seriously?
In my experience, demanding anything from house keeping is like herding cats.

Once again, nothing says "relaxing vacation" like arranging your down time with the front desk, house keeping, and security guards.
What's next, in-room TSA flunkies?

"just call house keeping and request early service..."
Seriously?
In my experience, demanding anything from house keeping is like herding cats.

Once again, nothing says "relaxing vacation" like arranging your down time with the front desk, house keeping, and security guards.
What's next, in-room TSA flunkies?
Yes, seriously. That has always worked, and, as I said, I do it in any hotel, all over the world. That way I get service when I want it. All the hand wringing seems a little over the top.

Management/housekeeping is not looking to purposely annoy guests. I think no interruptions/inconveniences in a seventeen night stay points to this new system being something that is workable.

We've been vacationing at Disney resorts for many years and have never had a problem having housekeeping honor our requests. When our kids were small, we called housekeeping on the first day and requested service between 9 and 2 - that's when they came. Recently, we got back to our room earlier in the afternoon than usual. The housekeeper was a few rooms down, saw us, and asked if she should put us on the list for the after 5:00 crew. They came after we left for dinner. Contrary to some reports, we have never had a problem communicating with housekeeping - no one seemed "confused" or unable to understand us. It's a little disheartening to hear all the demeaning comments about the housekeeping staff.

Yes, seriously. That has always worked, and, as I said, I do it in any hotel, all over the world. That way I get service when I want it. All the hand wringing seems a little over the top.

Management/housekeeping is not looking to purposely annoy guests. I think no interruptions/inconveniences in a seventeen night stay points to this new system being something that is workable.
I think in the end it's what works for each guest which is why people are voicing why this won't/doesn't work for them. I can certaintly see your system worked great for your needs and travel style but I can certaintly understand where it wouldn't work for others.

I don't agree with everyone's opinions or methods but I do understand the uproar and share their concerns.

Not true. We are half day park types. The rest of the time is spent in our villa or at the resort. The new policy was almost completely unobtrusive over a seventeen night stay. I truly don’t understand the uproar here.

If we were headed out early, I always called housekeeping to let them know, asking for trash service/trash-towel service/full clean while we were gone. I was always accommodated.

On the days we were around all day, I kept the room occupied sign up. Somehow, they still did their check during the brief windows where we stepped out.

If you want to nap or otherwise not be bothered in the afternoon, just call housekeeping requesting early service when you leave in the morning. I do this no matter where in the world I stay so I have a clean room upon my return.

Whilst it is nice to know that some people have had positive recent experiences, it is unfortunately not true for all of us (myself included). I did all the "right" things - I spoke to housekeeping, I requested service after a particular time, I put the 'room occupied' sign up - but I was woken from a post-marathon nap by a man pounding on my door constantly until I finally got up and opened it (he was not taking not answering the door as a hint, and couldn't get in as the latch was on). Despite my complaints to management, he was back again the same time the next day to security check my room yet again. The randomness of who is and isn't impacted with this new policy makes me believe more and more that this is a case of inconsistent and incomplete training of cast members.

(nb. my incident happened the week it was rolled out at WL - the DND sign disappeared and was replaced five days into my stay - so I suspect I was dealing with this with cast members with training wheels on in relation to the policy).

IDK on that.

But as far as I know it's daily trash service (that didn't used to be there) for DVC properties. From http://wdwnt.com/blog/2017/12/dvc-r...ely-related-new-wdw-resort-security-measures/ :

View attachment 296241
Hey-- just returned from BWV 4 nights and while I don't know if anyone entered while we were out, (except for the trash and towel day) but the trash was never removed, including the trash and towel day....... so..... not removing trash daily.......

Hey-- just returned from BWV 4 nights and while I don't know if anyone entered while we were out, (except for the trash and towel day) but the trash was never removed, including the trash and towel day....... so..... not removing trash daily.......
Thanks for sharing your experience. Can't say that I'm surprised that there is conflicting things going on. I know other DVC posters in various threads have had the trash taken out daily. Rteez also mentioned daily trash at BLT. Wonder if it's only certain DVC resorts right now or not?

"Hello front desk?"

Front desk: "YES?"

"I was hoping to take a nap in my $400 hotel room this afternoon, would that be too much trouble?"
"BTW, I will only be down for thirty minutes, then you can stormtroop & jack-boot your way into my room for my daily mandatory search and seizure."

Front desk: "NO!"

"Hello front desk?"

Front desk: "YES?"

"I was hoping to take a nap in my $400 hotel room this afternoon, would that be too much trouble?"
"BTW, I will only be down for thirty minutes, then you can stormtroop & jack-boot your way into my room for my daily mandatory search and seizure."

Front desk: "NO!"
Very well-said, but instead of
"Front desk:"
It's actually
"Offsite call center:"

Wow. Maybe it would be good to remember that this policy is barely a month old. There have been very few actual incident reports (magnified greatly through repetition). I guess all the wild speculation and hyperbole are fun to some folks, but there is little real evidence of how Disney is implementing this policy. One thing is certain - if Disney conducted its business half as poorly as many of these posts indicate, it would have been out of business years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter