New security measure: Do not disturb signs being Removed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im just not sure how this makes anyone safer?

Honestly, it doesn't. I have a LOT of experience in this area. It simply is a tactic akin to the TSA having us remove shoes. It is a dog and pony show meant to inspire confidence among guests and discourage "amateur" would-be attackers. But let's be honest... if someone is dead set on an attack, that person will find a way to carry it out unless the authorities catch it during the planning stages.

I don't mind the policy, when we stay, we're barely in the room anyway. BUT, if we happen to be in a compromised state, I would not appreciate being barged in on.

We were just at AKL for a week. The housekeepers were in the halls and servicing rooms in the mornings every day we were there. Including our room, when we left in the a.m.

This...

And...

Disney is not a public government. They have every right to do whatever they want; they're responsible to guest safety first AND shareholders. You, as people who "chose" to pay to use their resort, don't have "rights" on someone else's private property. Thank God. I'm glad they're incorporating this policy. They know way more than we do about private security and threats.
Yeah I get it’s private property & we don’t have to choose to stay there. But they should also be interested in customer service which seems they are less & less concerned about lately. So there won’t be guests or shareholders to worry about if they drive away paying customers at some point. And they aren’t worried about guest security. They’re worried about CYA which is a larger problem that ppl can sue & win for ridiculous things. It’s not the hotel’s fault a crazy person shot ppl from their hotel, but I’m sure the hotel will have to settle.

What actual evidence do you have that these are stupid things? or that it just angers their guests?
And what proof do we have that it’s anything more than that? If they’re not digging through the entire room it’s nothing. And many will not tolerate an invasive search daily in the name of “security”. They can start preparing now for the room discounts they’ll need to offer to get ppl to stay there once word gets out.

We were at Yacht Club (club level too!) about a month ago. The Do Not Disturb sign was on the door, but housekeeping still knocked at 8 a.m. looking to clean our room, and even tried to enter when nobody answered (we were asleep after the W&D After Party), but the deadbolt was on.

Do Not Disturb has clearly been a suggestion rather than a rule in my experience.

This will do basically nothing for security. Just more theatre. The vast majority of mass shootings happen with weapons carried on the shooter to the scene in one trip. Even for a Vegas style stockpiling, it would only shorten the time frame from a few days to ~20 hours. You can carry up a ton of guns and ammo in 20 hours. Not mention, guns and ammo can be hidden from someone just doing a quick glance.
:rolleyes:

Honestly, it doesn't. I have a LOT of experience in this area. It simply is a tactic akin to the TSA having us remove shoes. It is a dog and pony show meant to inspire confidence among guests and discourage "amateur" would-be attackers. But let's be honest... if someone is dead set on an attack, that person will find a way to carry it out unless the authorities catch it during the planning stages.

I don't mind the policy, when we stay, we're barely in the room anyway. BUT, if we happen to be in a compromised state, I would not appreciate being barged in on.

The policy allows Disney to maintain a vacation atmosphere while improving security. For example, a single male books a room and is seen making multiple trips to his car. He doesn’t have park tickets and isn’t following routine vacation patterns. A security officer can enter his room wearing a gunpowder sensor. If he gets a hit on the sensor, a thorough search can be performed to find the weapon and he’s taken into custody. Disney has to protect guests and stock holders.

The policy allows Disney to maintain a vacation atmosphere while improving security. For example, a single male books a room and is seen making multiple trips to his car. He doesn’t have park tickets and isn’t following routine vacation patterns. A security officer can enter his room wearing a gunpowder sensor. If he gets a hit on the sensor, a thorough search can be performed to find the weapon and he’s taken into custody. Disney has to protect guests and stock holders.
Except even in your fantasy that person hasn't done anything illegal.

Yep, nothing say's "vacation atmosphere" like daily room inspections like you are an inmate at Rikers Island... :)

Think positive.. no more room service dishes and trash in the hallways. Disney isn’t going to strip search you.

You mean like a ton of business people at conventions?

Where did I say Disney was doing something wrong? I was just pointing out that your fantasy didn't make sense.

Disney is spending a lot of money to prevent that fantasy. Traveling from the poly to Epcot, I had to pass through two security check points. I don’t mind extra security. Disney was checking CM bags as they enter the property for work, I wonder why?

Disney is spending a lot of money to prevent that fantasy. Traveling from the poly to Epcot, I had to pass through two security check points. I don’t mind extra security. Disney was checking CM bags as they enter the property for work, I wonder why?
Theater that's why.

I will agree that there is real money being spent and for good reasons but the effective measures are far from visually apparent.

You're right. If only there had been no DND signs in Vegas, the guy would've just gone home and decided to pursue other life interests.

No, but if there were two hotels, equally as attractive for what he wanted to do, one that had this policy of enetering every room once a day and one that didn't, my guessnis he would go for the one that didn't.

Theater that's why.

I will agree that there is real money being spent and for good reasons but the effective measures are far from visually apparent.

That’s because the most effective measures have to be covert. Once you make them public, you can evade them. Disney is the last place that wants to display security for theater. The next time you enter MK with your ID transmitter, look up at the camera dome 3’ above your head. Each camera dome houses 6 lenses. Disney is trying to reduce visable cameras at a 6:1 ratio. If they wanted theater, you would see hundreds of security cameras in a small area. Disney has a huge budget and uses cutting edge technology. Google Disney foot identification and see how innovative Disney is at tracking people.

Last edited:
That’s because the most effective measures have to be covert. Once you make them public, you can evade them. Disney is the last place that wants to display security for theater. The next time you enter MK with your ID transmitter, look up at the camera dome 3’ above your head. Each camera dome houses 6 lenses. Disney is trying to reduce visable cameras at a 6:1 ratio. If they wanted theater, you would see hundreds of security cameras in a small area. Disney has a huge budget and uses cutting edge technology. Google Disney foot identification and see how innovative Disney is at tracking people.
We aren't disagreeing, except for some aspects that are indeed theatrical on purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter