new ship -destinations

AnnMorin

<font color=babyblue>I HATE SNOW!!!<br><font color
Has anyone else heard the rumor that disney is building a new ship and is going to add new destinations? I think I read it on the cruise critic ? :)

Disney is not currently building any new ships.

I was on the March 23 cruise. Somebody asked these questions to Captain Hans at a Q&A session. I don't remember Captain Hans's exact words, but here's how I recall his answers: Regarding new destinations, there's the Disney Magic's new Western Caribbean intinerary beginning in May (alternating with the current Eastern intinerary). Regarding another ship, about a year ago DCL put together a team of people to plan another ship. Although the events on 9/11 put any fleet expansion on hold, he still expects a new ship to be announced within a year (or was it within the year, meaning within 2002?).

Of course, it takes several years from the time a shipyard recieves a contract for a new ship until that ship is delivered to a cruise line.

I still wonder whether the executive management of The Walt Disney Company is really willing to make a huge captal investment in a new ship and to take on the risk of a new ship at a time when the cruise industry has so many new ships and a glut of stateroom capacity.

hmmm, I wonder if they would start to rotate the wonder to add other destinations, I wish I could remember where I saw that..

Originally posted by AnnMorin
hmmm, I wonder if they would start to rotate the wonder to add other destinations, I wish I could remember where I saw that..
As long as the Wonder does 3- and 4-night cruises, there's not too much opportunity to add destinations. Presumably, one stop will always be Castaway Cay, and the other stop(s) will also be in the Bahamas. There just isn't enough time to get into the Caribbean on a 3- or 4-night cruise from Port Canaveral.

I wonder if they could manage Key West and Castaway Cay on a 4-night cruise?

Originally posted by Horace Horsecollar

As long as the Wonder does 3- and 4-night cruises, there's not too much opportunity to add destination. Presumably, one stop will always be Castaway Key, and the other stop(s) will also be in the Bahamas. There just isn't enough time to get into the Caribbean on a 3- or 4-night cruise from Port Canaveral.

I wonder if they could manage Key West and Castaway Cay on a 4-night cruise?

Key west and castaway cay would be a nice combination, the bahamas are so nasty that after you have been there once there is really no reason to return:o I wonder if they will ever add a southern caribbean route that would be nice.

The Carnival ship "Fantasy" does have a 4 day cruise out of Port Canaveral that includes Key West, Cozumel and a day at sea. The Problem going west is to include Castaway Cay.

We meet a cast member from Animal Kingdom on our 3/16 cruise. According to him DCL is building a 3rd ship but it will sail out of Port Canaveral. Now is this accurate information? I have heard so many times a 3rd ship is being built but it just was not true. When the Wonder came out all the TA's knew about it so if a third ship is up and coming I would think the TA's would know.

With the success of the 2 ships serving Disney World one would think good marketing on Disney's part would put one or even two ships to serve Disney Land. I have never been to Disney Land and a western coast cruise of Mexico would be appealing to me. Kathy

Originally posted by tecdavidt
We meet a cast member from Animal Kingdom on our 3/16 cruise. According to him DCL is building a 3rd ship but it will sail out of Port Canaveral. Now is this accurate information? I have heard so many times a 3rd ship is being built but it just was not true. When the Wonder came out all the TA's knew about it so if a third ship is up and coming I would think the TA's would know.
As I wrote earlier in this thread, there is no third ship currently under construction. There's been a rumor for a long time, but not all rumors are true. If and when Disney contracts with a shipyard for another $350 million cruise ship, it won't be a secret.

The reason the TAs knew about the Disney Wonder is that the Magic and the Wonder were announced at the same time, with the Magic scheduled to be completed before the Wonder.
With the success of the 2 ships serving Disney World one would think good marketing on Disney's part would put one or even two ships to serve Disney Land. I have never been to Disney Land and a western coast cruise of Mexico would be appealing to me. Kathy
I agree. A West Coast ship out of Long Beach or San Pedro would be great, especially if Disney could build a private beach stop on the Baja California coast, in the traditional of Castaway Cay, but with a Mexican theme. And the marketing tie-in with the Disneyland Resort would be a natural.

I just got a survey to complete from my cruise in January, and it asked me to check out which destinations i am considering for future cruising. Maybe they are testing the waters for what other spots could support for cruises...

I got the same survey - I recall it had locations like Mexico, Alaska, Hawaii..

Prior to 9/11, I believe that they were seriously researching adding another ship, as hubby participated in a focus group on that topic. I haven't heard anything in a while, so I don't know if it's currently on hold, but at least they were really seriously considering it.
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

We heard that the third ship would possibly leave out of New York Harbor. Rumors are always flying around about this I guess.

When we were on the 9/29/01, Matt Q, CFO and Architect were working on the actual plans for the next ship and meeting in the Palos room while were were eating lunch in Palos. We were at the two-top next to the room. They were working on the blueprints for the next cruise ship. Prints were tacked to the walls and they had an eraser to the page on the table. The personnel in the room and what they were working on was confirmed by Christophe, the Maitre'd in Palos. When we asked, we were not allowed to have pictures with these people, or in or even near the glass doors, for TPTB fear that we would catch what the plans for the new ship in our pictures. They were nice, but firm.

So, I know the plans are in existence, and were being worked on after 9/11. Whether or not the ship is in the ship yard being put together, I cannot vouch for.

(This is actually one of my fav memories of our cruise.)

I would have to think any new ship is only in the planning stages. Again the TA's would know, why? Because DCL wants passengers booked on the first sailing out of port. I doubt if New York would be a port for DCL, Disney needs the parks to lure passengers for 3/4 day cruises or prepark visits for 7 day cruises. The logical choice is California. It would be grand if there was a third ship in the next couple of years out of California. After all, I watched the old Love Boat TV shows and I remember her ports of call. I only dreamed of every being on a cruise ship! Now I have sailed 11 times so DCL, please put that next ship in CA. I want to see those ports but in Disney style. Kathy

Again the TA's would know, why? Because DCL wants passengers booked on the first sailing out of port.
The TAs won't "know" or be able to book any passengers until the the ship has been ordered from a shipyard, a delivery date has been set, the cruise itineraries been established, and the cruises are scheduled and officially offered for sale.

When such information is announced to the TAs, you can bet it will be all over the Internet and the folks on this board will know the details before most TAs know.

I'm not convinced that the final plans have even been approved in Burbank and that there really will be a third ship. (But I hope there will be.)

Las year, Capt. Hans said that he thougt that the next ship would sail one of the Alaskan routes.

After my honeymoon cruise in August/September last year, we received a survery from DCL that asked us about our opinions and interests regarding a cruise departing from New York harbor. Itinineraries included in the survery were Bermuda (with no castaway cay stop); Bahamas & Castaway Cay; Bermuda, Bahamas, & Castay Cay; and Bermuda and Castaway Cay.

I know this doesn't mean that they WILL be starting a cruise from New York or building a second ship, but it does show that they are researching the possibilities and getting a feel for when (or if) people would be willing to cruise.

Personally I would LOVE a Disney Cruise out of New York Harbor!! I am from Rhode Island and New York is definitely a reasonable driving distance. I will probably be on that ship like Barb!!

I really can't see Disney having a cruise line out of New York as I would agree that the parks are something that people do before or after their cruise. I am the same way - if I am heading all the way to Florida I am going to do the parks and the cruise!!

California will be a great cruise port because of Disneyland. They would have awesome ports of call out there. I don't get to the west coast that often, I have only been out there two times (the last time being October 2001) and I feel if I am going to go out to Disneyland than you bet I will also go on a Disney Cruise while I am there!!

When I went on my first Disney cruise in September 1998 I did get a survey and I think one of the options at that time was the Mediterranean??? I think that would also be very nice - maybe hook that up with Disneyland Paris??

Anything Disney does is great!! These are just my opinions. I am eagerly looking forward to a 3rd Disney ship!!

Lisa

Given Disney's current financial woes, I think it may be awhile (years) before they begin construction on a new ship. I hope I'm wrong, but I think things would have to improve at Disney/Capital Cities before we see an announcement.

I also received a survey to complete--sometime between Halloween and Thanksgiving. It was definitely geared toward finding out interest in a New York-based cruise. I would imagine that it's very easy to target the surveys to where the audience is. There certainly seem to be a lot of people at WDW and on the cruise who are from the New York metro area.

I would like to see a combination--pick me up in New York, sail to some island destinations, then a couple of days in the park and back to New York. That would make a great 7-night vacation!

Beth

We were on the 3/23 MAgic and asked the question about a new ship to Robin of the Cruise Staff. He said they di intend on building a third ship, a much bigger one than the two they have now, but plans were put on hold due to 9/11. Plans on hold might just mean they have been delayed , especially since the on DISer saw them palnning on board. A port of call to think about is it leaving from Baltimore. They have begun work on a very large Cruise ship terminal area, and will start servicing other lines, Carnival I believe, this fall. Baltimore would be a great location in that it is centrally locate, well within driving distance of Boston, NY, Chicago, DC, etc. and it could hit Bermuda on its way down to the Caribbean. Just a wild guess, and dream since were in DC. I love the idea of getting on the ship up here and getting off in FL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter