new ship -destinations

We were on the 3/23 MAgic and asked the question about a new ship to Robin of the Cruise Staff. He said they did intend on building a third ship, a much bigger one than the two they have now, but plans were put on hold due to 9/11. Plans on hold might just mean they have been delayed , especially since the one DISer saw them planning on board. A port of call to think about is it leaving from Baltimore. They have begun work on a very large Cruise ship terminal area, and will start servicing other lines, Carnival I believe, this fall. Baltimore would be a great location in that it is centrally located, well within driving distance of Boston, NY, Chicago, DC, etc. and it could hit Bermuda on its way down to the Caribbean. Just a wild guess, and dream since were in DC. I love the idea of getting on the ship up here and getting off in FL.

Originally posted by jjgarv
I love the idea of getting on the ship up here and getting off in FL.
I agree that's a very nice idea... but it isn't going to happen thanks to an obscure Federal law.

An 1886 law, the Passenger Services Act, forbids foreign-flagged ships -- such as the Italian-built, Bahamian-flagged, international crew Disney ships -- from transporting passengers between US ports. The law allows foreign ships to make cruises that begin and end at the same US port. The law even allows those ships at other US ports as long as they also go to a foreign port. (That's why the Disney Magic can stop at St. Thomas, USVI, and Key West, Florida.

If you want a good laugh, take a look at what cruise lines do to comply with the Passenger Services Act on Hawaii cruises.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter