New Star Wars Millennium Falcon Simulator details

And 250Watts/video card means 2000 Watts just for the GPU’s which means these PCs will need more than a traditional 20A 120v household circuit(that only provides 1920W for long periods)

Hey speaking of all these technical details what do you think th resolution of the film will be. ALLEGEDLY the footage for Pirates in Shanghai was done in 8k according to a behind the scenes video. Seeing how close you are to the screen here I don’t think regular 1080p is going to cut it

How does all this compare to say FoP in terms of processing speed and potential screen resolution? I'm having a hard time imaging how it can get much better/clearer than it. But I have definitely said that before.

How does all this compare to say FoP in terms of processing speed and potential screen resolution? I'm having a hard time imaging how it can get much better/clearer than it. But I have definitely said that before.
I think FoP and Shanghai Pirates were filmed/rendered for a very long time, like a feature movie.
The Star Wars seems to be real-time, never duplicated (because the guest is steering or shooting) visuals being rendered in real-time on a scale I don’t think ever has been done before.
I think (1) of the cards is enough for standard video games in 4K. (8) cards with a dedicated processing engine should be 10x the detail that is possible with high-end PC gaming.(that people spend $5k+ on the latest/greatest processors, video cards, etc)

Last edited:
I think FoP and Shanghai Pirates were filmed/rendered for a very long time, like a feature movie.
The Star Wars seems to be real-time, never duplicated (because the guest is steering or shooting) visuals being rendered in real-time on a scale I don’t think ever has been done before.
I think (1) of the cards is enough for standard video games in 4K. (8) cards with a dedicated processing engine should be 10x the detail that is possible with high-end PC gaming.(that people spend $5k+ on the latest/greatest processors, video cards, etc)

Ah now I am starting to get the picture. I knew the crew had some input on how the mission would go but didn't think it would be anything like a video game. But now that I start to think about it in those terms I see the possibilities. Hope it goes better than the current SWBF2:sad2:

Like I mentioned above, I think Shanghai’s Pirates was rendered in 8k, or it was upscaled and projected at that resolution. I would give a screencap of the video as my source but I’m on mobile and I always get frustrated with attachments. What I’m referencing is at 4:05:
Like I said I don’t know if it truly is 8k or if it is an upscale but it does make me curious about the resolution of Disney’s screen based projects as of recent. Allegedly it’s a pain in the butt to render at such high resolutions. It’s possible, Pixar said in an interview that they have the possibility to render in 4K but they figured it wasn’t worth the extra money. Same thing with illumination. Seems easier for a 4-minute movie a la Flight of Passage or who knows how many second long clips for Pirates or Ratatouille as opposed to a hundred minute long movie. We often hear Universal brag about how Spider-Man and minion mayhem were at 4K resolution and how Disney is silent on the matter but it is an interesting subject if you’re into this stuff

Like I mentioned above, I think Shanghai’s Pirates was rendered in 8k, or it was upscaled and projected at that resolution. I would give a screencap of the video as my source but I’m on mobile and I always get frustrated with attachments. What I’m referencing is at 4:05:
Like I said I don’t know if it truly is 8k or if it is an upscale but it does make me curious about the resolution of Disney’s screen based projects as of recent. Allegedly it’s a pain in the butt to render at such high resolutions. It’s possible, Pixar said in an interview that they have the possibility to render in 4K but they figured it wasn’t worth the extra money. Same thing with illumination. Seems easier for a 4-minute movie a la Flight of Passage or who knows how many second long clips for Pirates or Ratatouille as opposed to a hundred minute long movie. We often hear Universal brag about how Spider-Man and minion mayhem were at 4K resolution and how Disney is silent on the matter but it is an interesting subject if you’re into this stuff

https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2018/...dia-star-wars-galaxys-edge-millennium-falcon/
The NVidia Milennium Falcon announcement also mentions (5) projectors running at the same time.
I’m not sure if they are all independent and/or overlapping, or what total resolution that means It could be 5k-20k.

You mean parts in FoP are leaning that should not be? :rotfl2:
Not quite.

I know it’s a joke but the falcon will be in a real life cockpit type situation where the windows will be screens.

Soarin and FoP both have one giant screen for a theater of ride vehicle. Falcon will react to the riders actions.

I’m expecting this ride to have a semi-hemisphere screen several feet in front of the cockpit that has the 5 projectors mounted to it and synced to display a seamless image giving it the depth perception and 180 degree view you get from rides like FoP and US:IoA HPatFJ. The cockpit will be able to move forward/backward/up/down independent of the screen and projection rig. The controls from each of the 6 cockpit crew will feed both the Millenium Falcon cockpit pitch/roll/yaw and the real-time rendered images you see as you “fly” the ride. There will be pre-rendered “cut scenes” at the beginning/end and based on the decisions made by the crew during their mission. The bulk of the mission will be rendered on the fly making each flight unique and increase the ride repeatability.

I’m expecting this ride to have a semi-hemisphere screen several feet in front of the cockpit that has the 5 projectors mounted to it and synced to display a seamless image giving it the depth perception and 180 degree view you get from rides like FoP and US:IoA HPatFJ. The cockpit will be able to move forward/backward/up/down independent of the screen and projection rig. The controls from each of the 6 cockpit crew will feed both the Millenium Falcon cockpit pitch/roll/yaw and the real-time rendered images you see as you “fly” the ride. There will be pre-rendered “cut scenes” at the beginning/end and based on the decisions made by the crew during their mission. The bulk of the mission will be rendered on the fly making each flight unique and increase the ride repeatability.
Each cockpit will be its own thing. The turntables they’re on act as a load and unload. It rotates slowly so it’s almost a continuous loader.

As for the images this is a real time game engine type thing. They want everything you do to have an impact on the ride outcome. Even so that when you get off that will follow you through your experience in the land. Each time you ride your experience will likely be different based on the actions of the people you’re with.

Each cockpit will be its own thing. The turntables they’re on act as a load and unload. It rotates slowly so it’s almost a continuous loader.

As for the images this is a real time game engine type thing. They want everything you do to have an impact on the ride outcome. Even so that when you get off that will follow you through your experience in the land. Each time you ride your experience will likely be different based on the actions of the people you’re with.

Agreed and both of our comments are true. The cockpit/projection systems work together as a unit and allow for the movement of the entire unit via the turntable systems we’ve seen during the construction. Just like the most recent video games, the real time engine can be fed with pre-programmed data separate from the controls in the cockpit for pre/post sequences (which are rendered in real-time instead of pre-rendered videos that were used to compensate for inadequate processing power) and during the mission to account for a missing crew member(s) when less than 6 people are in the cockpit. Think Mission Space with less than four people and “auto-pilot” kicking in for specific actions needed but missing a person to take that action.

I’m very interested in the underlying technology being used here and have a unique perspective given three decades in high tech enabling the silicon, hardware, networking, gaming engines and operating software that these rides are being built upon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!