I emailed Disneyland and asked about boarding groups just in case they knew something. This is what they responded:

“Thank you for contacting the Disneyland Resort in California!

We are happy to hear that you are planning an upcoming visit to The Happiest Place on Earth!

We haven't heard at this time. We do have the Virtual Queue.

The Virtual Queue will be used on busy days to help Guests visit Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge more comfortably.

It will not be needed every day. On some days, it may be used just for peak times of the day.

When it is in use, Digital Boards throughout the Park will display Boarding Group return times, and you can find information on call times for Boarding Groups in the “Important Messages” page on the Disneyland App, in the same place as reservations for Oga’s Cantina and Savi’s Workshop.

Thank you again for your message, and have a magical day!”

So it seems like they aren’t 100% sure what’s going to happen but those of us crazy people going opening day should probably plan to use Boarding Groups similar to the current ones at WDW.

So, assuming that you can't enter a boarding group until you've had your ticket scanned and you enter the park - what time would people suggest lining up at the turnstiles on the 17th?

Didn’t they take down all the digital boards a few weeks after SWGE opened? It’ll be interesting to see if those go back up in the coming weeks.
They had some right by the land entrances but those were mobile so could easily be moved in and out of place. The larger permanent boards on Main Street are still there.

So, assuming that you can't enter a boarding group until you've had your ticket scanned and you enter the park - what time would people suggest lining up at the turnstiles on the 17th?
I’m still wondering about this. I believe at WDW there were some people there around 1 or 2 in the morning so I might go then. DCA closes at 8 the night before so I’m going to get around 4 hours of sleep and then go back. It’s important to remember that at WDW, the park was supposed to open at 8 on opening day (I think it was 8 but it might’ve been 9) but they actually started operating the ride around 6 and boarding groups were gone before park opening.

I've been following the WDW thread obsessively. On opening day, I'd be there a minimum of 3 hours before the posted opening. After about a week, things settled enough where 2 hours before posted opening was enough, but then again, the posted opening is 7:00, so that still means getting there around 5:00 or 5:30 if you want an early boarding spot and less likely to not be called/not get to ride due to breakdowns.

I have a weird question- if a person has 2 tickets, will the CMs taking tickets be willing to scan both of them at once?

I know some people may not agree with this idea but I’m considering (I haven’t completely decided yet) actually buying an extra ticket in order to go on ROTR more. At WDW you can only go on it once per day per ticket and I know that’s so more people can go on it and that’s a valid reason. But my thinking is we have a unique family situation where we may not be back at DL for a very long time and lots of people who will be at DL when we are that can only ride once will be APs who can come back many more times in the near future.

I’m just wondering if the CMs would accept 2 tickets at once because it would be an awful pain to leave the park and get back in line again to scan another ticket.

(I know some people might not agree with this idea, but I would appreciate it if people would just answer my question. Thanks!)

I have a weird question- if a person has 2 tickets, will the CMs taking tickets be willing to scan both of them at once?

I’m just wondering if the CMs would accept 2 tickets at once because it would be an awful pain to leave the park and get back in line again to scan another ticket.

(I know some people might not agree with this idea, but I would appreciate it if people would just answer my question. Thanks!)

You actually want to buy an extra ticket, so you can go on that 1 ride an additional time? To answer your question, the CM is not going to scan in a 2nd ticket without a 2nd person there.

You actually want to buy an extra ticket, so you can go on that 1 ride an additional time? To answer your question, the CM is not going to scan in a 2nd ticket without a 2nd person there.
There’s multiple reasons but ROTR is the main one and the one that’s relevant to this thread. It’s complicated lol

There’s multiple reasons but ROTR is the main one and the one that’s relevant to this thread. It’s complicated lol
This is interesting. It’s something I’ve wondered about before.

Yeah, it’s kind of weird. But the advantage would be to double the number of FPs you could get (or in this instance, boarding groups). I assume that’s what you’re after because I can’t think of any other benefit.

On a regular day, it wouldn’t be a problem to enter with ticket #1, exit, then enter again with ticket #2.

If you really pay for two tickets, then I don’t see how it’s cheating at all. I mean, you aren’t getting anything you didn’t pay for. (And it’s not any different than people who use another person’s MaxPass after that person has left the park for the day).

Whether a CM would activate both tickets at the same time, I don’t know. I have never heard of anyone trying it. I have never heard of any rule about it.

It’s probably not something you want to attempt if the only purpose is to get two boarding groups, at least until more info is available. But if the boarding groups are available for a couple hours, then you’d probably have enough time to enter with ticket #1, get a BG, exit, re enter with ticket #2, and get a second BG.

Of course, if there does happen to be some rule explicitly prohibiting a person from holding two tickets at once... then forget I said anything!!!

What is the actual process of getting yourself into a boarding group?

What do you click on in the app?
For DL, there is no way to do it yet. We don’t even officially know what the process will be, so it’s all speculation at this point.

But if it’s like the WDW version of the app, there is a button for RotR labeled “Find Out More” right on the main page. That takes you to a page with more info and another button labeled “Join Boarding Group”.

Alternately, there are CMs at WDW that can assign you a boarding group if you don’t want to use the app, so it’s possible DL might have the same option.

It’s that easy. The only hard part will be waking up before the crack of dawn!!!

What’s the current line experience like for MF?

No fastpass yet, right?

Are wait times seemingly accurate?

I must have missed the announcement that the only open entrance in the morning is the Critter Country entrance. I made the family trek over there this morning at opening only to find out we were the suckers. 😬

What’s the current line experience like for MF?

No fastpass yet, right?

Are wait times seemingly accurate?
MOnday the 9th, wait time was 50s mintues, at 4:30 if it is your first time for the attraction, time will go super fast there is much to see, study how graphics created all the art, study the work benches to find anything from this century, I found two, an old P.E. locker basket and plastic helmet. Plus there is narration. Just an eye full of workshop debri. My though process was how graphics came up with the ideas and then how was all the distress added to the metal and then the holes, are from weapon fire or space rock debri.

If they do boarding groups for ROTR, are we expecting that it will be boarding groups into SWGE, or boarding groups into the attraction iteself.

If they do boarding groups for ROTR, are we expecting that it will be boarding groups into SWGE, or boarding groups into the attraction iteself.
Boarding groups for the attraction is how they’ve done it in Florida. I’m hoping for the same.

Boarding groups for the attraction is how they’ve done it in Florida. I’m hoping for the same.
Me too. I do wonder what they will do on the Saturday of opening weekend, when there are EMH/MM at DL. In Florida, it was a bit of a cluster on the one day that DHS had EMH in the morning, so now they have moved all of the DHS EMH to night time, and they are just opening the entire park earlier for everyone (some days are 6am openings I think!). We will be there at DL on that Saturday and I am afraid of the chaos!!!

Our family is planning a trip to Disneyland Thursday, March 5, 6 and 7. We were planning to tell our kids at Christmas because they are excited about Smugglers Run and Rise of the Resistance, but now I'm worried because of all the things that say it's not a guarantee that you get in. What is the best way to ensure that we get to go on the rides in Star Wars land during our visit?
Thank you for all your insight and knowledge!

The only thing you need to do is get there early. No rides or entertainment in any Disney park are guaranteed, but by getting to the park early you'll be ahead of the game
Also RotR opens in January so you'll have a couple of months of reports to give you a better idea iiib times and procedures

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter