We will be at DL starting this Saturday. I am thinking we will try to ride MFSR on Sunday, before DAP blackouts end. Do you think rope-drop is a good strategy on that day or should we wait until late that night? We will be there all week so we will have lots of options to drop in when the line is under an hour, but I'd like to try to ride it once before the DAP and D23 onslaught begins... :thumbsup2

For those that have flown with the lightsaber, did you have to pay for it as a carry on item? We usually just bring our free personal item and our checked bags.
We flew on American when we bought a lightsaber in June. We each had a roll-aboard carry-on, a personal item (like a backpack), and we had one light saber total (we were 4 passengers). They didn't say a word to us when we boarded, but I will also say that my husband is Concierge Key with AA (their highest status), and so I feel like he gets a lot of leeway with things like this (we flew out of SNA). I'm not sure what they would have said/done/charged otherwise if he didn't have high status. It did fit across the overhead bin in the plane, but we were sure to fill one overhead bin with our roll-aboards so that no one would try to cram a suitcase in with our lightsaber sitting on top of the roll-aboards and possibly break it.

I've started posting my trip report from the August visit to Batuu over on the Trip Reports board. Some stuff is pretty similar to the report from June, but there are some new things too!
https://www.disboards.com/threads/f...-trip-reports-2015-2019.3470217/post-60952942
A few cross-posted points:
  • I rode MF:SR six times over the course of three days and have a much better feel for the ride. While I definitely enjoyed it more this time around, I'm still think it depends a lot on which position you get and, to a lesser extent, how good your crew is. I think the pilot is, by far, the most fun of the positions. It's also the hardest! The next best is the engineer because you do have to push the correct buttons and flip the right switches to "fix" the ship. The least interest position is the gunner because you mostly just press the same button over and over.
  • The SRL took about 45 minutes (including ride time) when the standby line was about 55 to 75 minutes for most of my rides. The SRL merges at the point where they're handing out the position cards, so you'll miss the pre-show with Hondo. The CMs were handing out the position cards in the same order for all six rides (2 pilots, 2 gunners, and 2 engineers).
  • Datapad App was fun, but it does drain the battery. You'll end up walking all around Batuu, so be prepared for that (and perhaps time it so you're not trying to do this mid-day when it's hot).
  • Oga's Cantina was fun (especially DJ Rex), but it's probably a once in every few trips kind of thing for us.
  • image011_zpsxqhcbfcl.jpg
  • Docking Bay 7 Food & Cargo and Ronto Roasters are pretty good. We found stuff to like at both places.
  • Merchandise comes and goes without warning. If you see something you like/want, don't wait to get it!
  • Fireworks are interesting from Batuu.
  • image036_zpskkqfvyn4.jpg
  • My regular personality BB-8 unit was most active around the Droid Factory, but would periodically make noise elsewhere in the Outpost. It was fun to carry him around and see where he reacted. Not sure I'd do it every day (he is kind of heavy), but something fun to do once-in-a-while. I didn't have a Droid Depot backpack, so a friend and I created a custom carrying case using a stadium bag.
  • 20190809_200122sm_zpsncdl7izv.jpg

Hey all, I know the crowd flood gates are about to open with blockouts being lifted soon. Should it be expected that the boarding group system be activated again once the crowds pick up?

Hey all, I know the crowd flood gates are about to open with blockouts being lifted soon. Should it be expected that the boarding group system be activated again once the crowds pick up?
That's the million dollar question at this point. Crowds haven't really been like what anyone was guessing they'd be like this summer, so it's possible that the trend will continue once the Deluxe/SoCal/SoCal Select AP blocks are lifted or that could be when the crowds finally appear. I don't think there is really any harm in planning your trip with the expectation that the boarding group system will be needed. If it's not, then that's great and you have more flexibility. If it is used, then you were prepared for that.

I've read in here that rope drop is to be avoided if possible, but I made reservations for Oga's Mon. the 23rd at 9:15 since I wanted to try one of the breakfast drinks. That's also the day SoCal APs get in for the 1st time. For those that have been there rope drop, would I have a few minutes to wait for everyone else to make their way over to SWGE so it's not a crazy mob scene or w/ the 9:15 time I need to be in there as well.

Our server told us that we needed to order both drinks at the same time if we wanted to have two drinks. I think they do this in part to speed up the process. Like you, we had a hard time flagging down our server after she took the initial payment and order. Ultimately, we ended up flagging down a hostess to find out if we were supposed to take the souvenir mug we were served our drink in or if there was a boxed one we would be getting. I think they could use a few more servers...

So, did they give you a clean boxed mug, like Trader Sam's, or did you have to take the one you used? Thanks

So, did they give you a clean boxed mug, like Trader Sam's, or did you have to take the one you used? Thanks
As the PP said, they provided a new mug in a box. If we hadn't been able to flag the hostess down, we wouldn't have known and would have taken the one we were served the drink in.

Does the server give you some sort of ticket or something? Where do you get the boxed mug?
In our case, the hostess just brought us the mug as we were getting ready to leave (that's why we were looking for our server). I saw a couple of people at the bar get their's when they were leaving as well. So I think the server is supposed to bring it to you just as you're finishing up.

I believe all the signage for the boarding group system was removed last week? Which means they probably don't plan to offer that option. I guess if the crowds really do invade Galaxy later this year, then they can bring those back, or maybe it will just be a feature on their app now?

On 8/27 I have a 9:15am reservation for Ogas on a Magic Morning that is at 8am (9am park open). What time will we get let into Galaxys Edge and where will they let us in - do we wait with masses during the whole MM or can we enjoy MM rides in DL and show up at 9 at the fantasyland entrance to GE and get into Ogas? Or better yet - be let into GE early before masses are let in and ride MF at 9am before heading to Ogas?

We will be at DL starting this Saturday. I am thinking we will try to ride MFSR on Sunday, before DAP blackouts end. Do you think rope-drop is a good strategy on that day or should we wait until late that night? We will be there all week so we will have lots of options to drop in when the line is under an hour, but I'd like to try to ride it once before the DAP and D23 onslaught begins... :thumbsup2
Eh. I personally feel like it's a shame to miss out on empty Fantasyland/Tomorrowland for the sake of rope-dropping MFSR... if you're the type who like Fantasyland, it's been pretty wild to rope drop and hit every single thing there (besides Matterhorn) with zero wait. When else can you knock out Fantasyland in an hour?

But, if you're there all week and you're a group of fast, purposeful walkers, you could try it. Worst-case scenario, you get trampled at rope drop, get there too late to ride quickly, bail on the ride, and head to Fantasyland anyway!

On 8/27 I have a 9:15am reservation for Ogas on a Magic Morning that is at 8am (9am park open). What time will we get let into Galaxys Edge and where will they let us in - do we wait with masses during the whole MM or can we enjoy MM rides in DL and show up at 9 at the fantasyland entrance to GE and get into Ogas? Or better yet - be let into GE early before masses are let in and ride MF at 9am before heading to Ogas?
I've heard that people with reservations can use the Fantasyland/Frontierland entrances to get into the land in the morning (otherwise, it's only Critter Country at park open). You could confirm that with a CM there near the end of MM. Even if they wouldn't let you in that way for some reason, 15 minutes would be enough time to get over to Critter Country and enter that way if you needed to. I certainly wouldn't spend your MM waiting to enter the land; that doesn't make sense at all.

Does the server give you some sort of ticket or something? Where do you get the boxed mug?
Every time someone in our group has ordered a drink with a special mug, the server has told us that there would be a boxed mug and that we should let him/her know when we were ready for it. Also, servers now ask you to open the box to check for damage before you leave so that you can make an exchange, if necessary, while you are still in the Cantina. We saw that happen to someone next to us who received a chipped Porg mug. A replacement was given right away -- no problems.

We were seated at a table, which we had requested since the bar and bar table is too tall for my 6 year old daughter. I don't think the server mentioned that if we wanted two drinks we had to order them at the same time though. I would have done so if it had been mentioned.
Did you have a reservation time, and if so, did asking to be seated at a table delay your entry? We will be visiting with our five year old. He’s tall, but not that tall, and I’d like to get him the jello thing that I understand cannot practically be eaten by someone who can’t reach over the tables.

... We will be visiting with our five year old. He’s tall, but not that tall, and I’d like to get him the jello thing that I understand cannot practically be eaten by someone who can’t reach over the tables.
There is a section of the bar that has a lower counter -- the accessible section. If you don't plan to stay too long, that might be another option that would allow your son to eat his snack. We've seen younger kids at that section of the bar and they can see over it just fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: EmJ
Are we allowed to make dining reservations for other people and not be there? My friends are coming with me sunday with the promotion tickets. They are staying until midnight, but I am heading out around 9:30. I found a Cantina reservation 10:10. Can they use it even though, me, the person who made the reservation, isn't there? It's for a group of 3. They really want to do it. I'm fine with skipping it since I've done it so many times.

Every time someone in our group has ordered a drink with a special mug, the server has told us that there would be a boxed mug and that we should let him/her know when we were ready for it.
That would have been very helpful, but alas, our server never said anything like that when we ordered the drink.

Did you have a reservation time, and if so, did asking to be seated at a table delay your entry? We will be visiting with our five year old. He’s tall, but not that tall, and I’d like to get him the jello thing that I understand cannot practically be eaten by someone who can’t reach over the tables.
When we were there, it was a little hit-or-miss. The first CM that checked us in (the one with the tablet walking the line), didn't mention anything about requesting a table. The second CM with another tablet (also walking the line) asked us if we'd checked in and mentioned that we would request a table if we wanted to. However, she said that could mean up to an hour additional wait depending on how many groups ahead of us needed or requested a table. She didn't have access to that information, but she could note the request on the check-in. We got lucky and it didn't add to our wait time (beyond the wait in the line), but I could see where it might end up adding time if the timing isn't right.

Regarding the jell-o dish, I think if he had too, it could be eaten without needing the table. It's basically a wider, flatter version of a jell-o cup (maybe about 3.5 to 4 inches wide). It's small enough that either you or he could hold it in your hand while eating it. A table would be better, but it's pretty easy to pick-up/hold if needed.
image007_zpsaqcwd2ky.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter