I finally got it to work through an incognito window and a direct link from a google search, like “make a droid depot reservation”, not an internal Disney link from MDE. SO frustrating!

I finally got it to work through an incognito window and a direct link from a google search... SO frustrating!

I finally got it to work! Thanks for the suggestion. One other thing that I noticed was that my phone number had the 1 at the beginning so I removed it. Not sure if that mattered or not.

On the website it says that the builder can bring one guest, but the confirmation email says that the builder can bring two guests. Has any tried taking two guests with them?

My wife and I were guests when our kid built his droid. There were others as well with 2 guests. It wasn't a problem.

:sad:

Anyone else super envious that WDW gets Rise of the Resistance first? We’re going to miss the DL opening by just a few weeks- such a bummer!

I know there’s always next time but I’m still gonna sulk and be sad about it.

Us too! I’m super sad (it’s one of many reasons I booked my early January trip-back when it was supposed to be opening late 2019).

So, now that ROTR is open at WDW, what does everyone think? Is it the rousing success that Disney was hoping for? Will it "complete" SWGE here like it should? (I like that the Resistance end is so quiet and landscaped, with the forest noises in the background -- it's a peaceful place right now -- and I will miss that when it gets crowded and noisy.) And... (feeding my paranoia), do you think we're in for a price hike now because of this?

So, now that ROTR is open at WDW, what does everyone think? Is it the rousing success that Disney was hoping for? Will it "complete" SWGE here like it should? (I like that the Resistance end is so quiet and landscaped, with the forest noises in the background -- it's a peaceful place right now -- and I will miss that when it gets crowded and noisy.) And... (feeding my paranoia), do you think we're in for a price hike now because of this?
I'm purposely avoiding spoilers about it; however, from what little tiny bit I've seen on non-park related threads here on the DIS, it seems like they're having some... challenges with it running reliably. They dare not implement a price increase until they've got their ducks in a row!

Holy smokes. Just watched a video and it looks spectacular. I am so bummed we are going to kiss it in January!

I thought that was the norm too, but we must have just been unlucky that day. The line was just ending at the bottom of the stairs. Still took over 45 min. They must have just had enough even parties.
Actually, when we were there in August, the way in which seats were given to single riders depended greatly on the cast members. We sometimes got to almost walk on (during or just after the fireworks). Another time we waited close to the top of the stairs of the single rider line for almost 45 mins (after taking roughly 20 mins to even get to that point), watching one of the cast members use hand signals to gesture to the standby line which group sizes he needed to add together to fill all six spots. He actually seemed to take great pride in almost never needing single riders, happily arranging groups of 3 and 3, 4 and 2, three times two, and making people at the front of the standby line switch, if the respective group sizes weren’t to his liking. The only time he would begrudgingly take somebody from the single rider line would be if there was a group of 5 and when, even upon his waving his finger to the standby line signaling that he needed one more person, nobody from standby would step up. So, yes, the idea of only entering the single rider line when it doesn’t reach all the way down to the split is a good rule of thumb but by no means a guarantee to get onto the ride quickly (that day of the standby line hating math wiz cast member we would have been better off actually waiting in the standby line, which—in contrast to the more than an hour we were stuck in the single rider line—was posted to be at a mere 45 minutes).

First time at Galaxies Edge today and even though I thought I knew what to expect I was blown away. The theming and immersion is incredible. It seemed super busy at the park, but we walked straight up and built two droids without a reservation or wait.

I wasn’t prepared for the sound coming out of the cantina! The sounds in general in galaxies edge are so different that I really felt like I was on another planet. Well done Disney!

I read one of the threads. It broke down quite often. They are using a "virtual queue" (you register for a group in the morning, then it sends a notification when it's your turn). If you registered late (but when it was still available), chances are that due to the break downs, they would not be able to accommodate your group number. In that case they offer a FP as well as a free park ticket that you can use later.

I'm purposely avoiding spoilers about it; however, from what little tiny bit I've seen on non-park related threads here on the DIS, it seems like they're having some... challenges with it running reliably. They dare not implement a price increase until they've got their ducks in a row!

Does anybody have any idea what time they’re going to get to the park on January 17th? I read one of the WDW threads and it seems like some people who were there for ROTR opening were there before 2 AM and the ride opened around 6 even though that was way before official opening.

I finally sped-read through the entire WDW thread and watched several ride through videos (we don't care about spoilers).

WOW! The ride looks spectacular--an absolute home run hit for sure, even if there are some reliability issues in the first few days. That's to be expected and normal for any new tech (remember Hagrid's? Disney+?). That'll get worked out over time and I can't imagine this NOT being at least among the top most popular rides at Disney. That said, I don't know that it will draw significant new visitors to the parks, who wouldn't already have been attracted to a Disney vacation, just as I don't think the Hogwart's Castle or Gringotts rides are enough on their own to draw visitors to Universal who don't care about the rest of WWoHP. Certainly, I would expect for everyone at Disney to be vying for a turn though!

We will be at WDW for marathon weekend, and it will be interesting to see how things change by then.

Add me to those who think that what Disney did today wasn't right. It's one thing to say nothing and another to affirmatively say another. They should have done as a PP mentioned and just said boarding groups will open sometime after opening and left it at that--or said nothing.

Anyone have any guesses how any of this will translate to the opening at DLR? We'll be there the second weekend. I assume they'll try BG's as well, but I've read speculation that RotR is at the same place as WDW's and they will use the extra month and a half for possible soft openings with CMs etc.

We will be at WDW for marathon weekend, and it will be interesting to see how things change by then.

Add me to those who think that what Disney did today wasn't right. It's one thing to say nothing and another to affirmatively say another. They should have done as a PP mentioned and just said boarding groups will open sometime after opening and left it at that--or said nothing.

Anyone have any guesses how any of this will translate to the opening at DLR? We'll be there the second weekend. I assume they'll try BG's as well, but I've read speculation that RotR is at the same place as WDW's and they will use the extra month and a half for possible soft openings with CMs etc.
I think for DLR, they will use the BGs. That system was already active (though unnecessary) on the first day the land was open to the public.

I don’t know if they will want to have soft openings-maybe just continue to test and retest and learn from WDW so there is even less downtime. Once it’s up and running we will also have the challenge of longer park hours (8-12 most weekends)!

I am a local and sometimes have to work in Anaheim. On those days I plan on rope dropping, grabbing a BG, then going to work and coming back for my boarding time!

I don’t know if they will want to have soft openings-maybe just continue to test and retest and learn from WDW so there is even less downtime. Once it’s up and running we will also have the challenge of longer park hours (8-12 most weekends)!
I was thinking about those longer park hours, too. We are APs at both parks, but go to DLR all the time (Nor Cal). We will actually be at DLR for Christmas as well--I suspect that will be too early for any kind of soft opening, but I suspect you are right that they will continue with no soft openings for SW.

Boarding Groups seem to be the best solution for RotR.

Since it has a tendency to go down during the day (at least the WDW version currently does) that means anything with a hard time - like a FP or other reservation - would be hard to use with people sometimes being able to ride and sometimes not. It would just be a lot of confusion all day long. Even a regular standby line would be a problem because it might have to be emptied multiple times per day (and then people would lose their spot).

Book Boarding Groups in the morning, and then call them as availability opens. And if things go wrong do you have a very straightforward block of people at the end of the day who were not able to ride that you can then comp in some way.
Time for speculation...

I’m going to guess that it will work like WDW, and you will only be able to book once you are in the park.

I’ll bet the Esplanade will be packed the first day.

What I’m really wondering about is the first Saturday, when DL has EMH. Will guests entering early be able to book a boarding group right away, or will BGs not open until some later time, like official park opening?

If anyone has been following the WDW opening, it seems like they announced that the boarding groups would not open during EMH, but then they went ahead and opened them early, which caused some complaints, but might have been the best solution for the massive crowd.

People out here are crazy, so it’s not all that unreasonable to think that someone could stagger out of Trader Sam’s at 2 a.m.… then just wander over to the main gate and get in line! At that point, it’s only a few more hours until open, right?!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!