New ticket policy with TA. Is this across the board?

SL6827

DIS Veteran
Just out of curiosity I put in for a quote for a three night stay with like two days worth of park tickets at the end of the year with a certain travel agent. The discount on the room was not in the least bit impressive, which I wasn't surprised. But with the tickets, their new policy was that they were completely non-refundable. What? So if you were to book with them I suppose you have to pay upfront entirely for the ticket portion. I no longer see any reason to use them when booking. I could actually do better with Orbitz or Travelocity with the room price. And that new ticket policy? I wonder if that is across the board with all TA?

I would assume this is not across the board. It sounds like it’s a room only rate with separate tickets, instead of a WDW package with room and tickets. If you wanted to book with this TA, I would suggest booking only the room, and purchasing tix at a later date from Disney or Undercover Tourist.

That would not be across the boards with TAs. If you are booking a package with room and tickets, it's the standard $200 deposit down, fully refundable up to 30 days prior to check-in. As vinotinto mentioned, the TA must have quoted you a room-only with a separate ticket purchase.

Just out of curiosity I put in for a quote for a three night stay with like two days worth of park tickets at the end of the year with a certain travel agent. The discount on the room was not in the least bit impressive, which I wasn't surprised. But with the tickets, their new policy was that they were completely non-refundable. What? So if you were to book with them I suppose you have to pay upfront entirely for the ticket portion. I no longer see any reason to use them when booking. I could actually do better with Orbitz or Travelocity with the room price. And that new ticket policy? I wonder if that is across the board with all TA?

Is this by any chance with the agency that offers agency exclusive deals? I only ask because I priced out a trip with this agency and the TA told me the tickets were no refundable.

That would not be across the boards with TAs. If you are booking a package with room and tickets, it's the standard $200 deposit down, fully refundable up to 30 days prior to check-in. As vinotinto mentioned, the TA must have quoted you a room-only with a separate ticket purchase.
Maybe so. Maybe they can no longer sell tickets along with their agency exclusives.

Maybe so. Maybe they can no longer sell tickets along with their agency exclusives.

Right. So, TA's, in general, can still package room and tickets via MYW packages. You are now talking about agencies that work with the groups department to book rooms for clients (in addition to working with WDTC on regular packages and room-only bookings) - it's a completely different method of booking - different WDW department, different terms and conditions for booking. For some agencies, perhaps this one included, WDW Groups is no longer allowing them to sell discounted convention tickets to leisure groups. Based on what you have described, that is what is most likely happening here - you were quoted a group rate and, in addition, quoted a separate, full-price WDW ticket. In years past, they could bundle the group rate with discounted convention tickets - they aren't doing this anymore.

Right. So, TA's, in general, can still package room and tickets via MYW packages. You are now talking about agencies that work with the groups department to book rooms for clients (in addition to working with WDTC on regular packages and room-only bookings) - it's a completely different method of booking - different WDW department, different terms and conditions for booking. For some agencies, perhaps this one included, WDW Groups is no longer allowing them to sell discounted convention tickets to leisure groups. Based on what you have described, that is what is most likely happening here - you were quoted a group rate and, in addition, quoted a separate, full-price WDW ticket. In years past, they could bundle the group rate with discounted convention tickets - they aren't doing this anymore.
Right. I think that is what is happening. I knew the group discounts were gone off the tickets but had no idea it was a completely separate purchase.

Right. I think that is what is happening. I knew the group discounts were gone off the tickets but had no idea it was a completely separate purchase.

WDW Groups can't bundle rooms and regular WDW tickets, so it has to be a separate purchase, at this point, if convention tickets aren't being offered.

WDW Groups can't bundle rooms and regular WDW tickets, so it has to be a separate purchase, at this point, if convention tickets aren't being offered.
Oh ok. Sad, cause there is just no real advantage now with booking with this certain TA. I don't know if there are any times of the year now that they can offer a signifigant discount on the hotel rooms, unless maybe Labor Day?

Oh ok. Sad, cause there is just no real advantage now with booking with this certain TA. I don't know if there are any times of the year now that they can offer a signifigant discount on the hotel rooms, unless maybe Labor Day?

There is an advantage if your stay falls into one of the dates they are offering the discounts. I recently got a quote for 5 nights at POP, which saved $300 over rack rate. The agency I used has all of their dates listed along with the resorts available.

There is an advantage if your stay falls into one of the dates they are offering the discounts. I recently got a quote for 5 nights at POP, which saved $300 over rack rate. The agency I used has all of their dates listed along with the resorts available.
I do suppose there might be a few time frames in the year that might work out somewhat well, but nothing like they used to offer. And then no discounts on the tickets now. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.

It's completely dependent on what these agencies can negotiate with the Groups department. Things definitely changed significantly this year. Given the current situation, I think it's really up in the air as to what they will be able to negotiate for 2021. It may be worth keeping an eye out, though, if your dates still line up with any offers that are released. Never hurts to get a quote!

It's completely dependent on what these agencies can negotiate with the Groups department. Things definitely changed significantly this year. Given the current situation, I think it's really up in the air as to what they will be able to negotiate for 2021. It may be worth keeping an eye out, though, if your dates still line up with any offers that are released. Never hurts to get a quote!
Right, you never know. Things are no where Disney anticipated them to be at now. Attendance drops off, they will want to deal.

We use this same agency and that’s why we chose to book through them for 2021. We have the 2021 basic return package right now, the “room only” one. Truth is having access to another potential discount pool on top of Disney discount monitoring in case dates for the exclusives don’t work out is worth it to us. We really like our TA too, she’s always been excellent. Tickets don’t matter since we will both have APs next time.

I would not be surprised if the negotiating pendulum swings back toward agency favor. Depending on how bad the second wave looks Disney might have to offer more substantial deals to lure people back next year. Really nothing to lose by booking and this situation has really shown me the value of a good TA even for a type A planner. I didn’t have to stay on the phone for hours canceling anything, she took care of it.

We use this same agency and that’s why we chose to book through them for 2021. We have the 2021 basic return package right now, the “room only” one. Truth is having access to another potential discount pool on top of Disney discount monitoring in case dates for the exclusives don’t work out is worth it to us. We really like our TA too, she’s always been excellent. Tickets don’t matter since we will both have APs next time.

I would not be surprised if the negotiating pendulum swings back toward agency favor. Depending on how bad the second wave looks Disney might have to offer more substantial deals to lure people back next year. Really nothing to lose by booking and this situation has really shown me the value of a good TA even for a type A planner. I didn’t have to stay on the phone for hours canceling anything, she took care of it.

Pendulum is right! I was thinking that exact same thing when responding to this thread. Remember last year when WDW was so confident Galaxy's Edge was going to fill up the parks and resorts . . . how the world has changed since then :(

Yes it will be interesting too see how Disney will address this if it gets real bad. A 35% discount on a room that was say $300 a night back during the Great Recession wont be as much now with that room rate being around say $500. (just an example)

I have my fingers crossed for this as well. We booked with this TA for our April trip (just the Disney discount), postponed to October but do not think we will be going. TA has our dates for next April and will book a package as soon as they open that for 2021.

I agree about using a TA. when we booked last fall for April 2020 there was no discount. when the "gift of magic" discount dropped my TA spent most of the day working on getting us the discount; website kept crashing, availability came and went; she finally e-mailed me the confirmations at 2AM the next day. I had to be at work the day the discount dropped and would not have been able to spend the time to get us the discount.

I have confidence whatever discounts there are for our April 2021 trip, the TA will get it for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!