New to Annual Pass and using discounts

Stephpef

Earning My Ears
Hi guys! So I've been considering purchasing an annual pass for the purpose of getting the hotel discounts. I saw that there is an annual passholder discount code available for the time of my stay. I called Disney to see if there is availability for the room I'd like with the annual pass discount, but they told me you can't activate your pass in advance so I'm not eligible for the discount. I'm not a Florida resident, so is there any way around this?

I have always heard that if you buy an annual pass, and add it to your MDE account, you can check for, and book AP discounts. I have a feeling the CM may be wrong.

100% untrue. You will be an AP member from the minute you purchase and link (until that AP expires). I assume something is in place so that can't be abused, but in the short run I can verify this is the case. You can link to MDE without activating. And you will then be able to see the AP specials when booking a resort even before you have activated. I did this myself in 2018.

I am curious what's to prevent a person from purchasing a single AP and not activating for the sole purpose of discounts, but I assume they catch it in time.

I bought in May 2018 and linked. Used the discount in September 2018. And activated in November 2018.

Yes, I have been able to link the AP voucher to my MDE before it's activated, and also booked rooms at AP rates before activation. Seems like the important thing is to have it ( at least the voucher) at check in to secure the discount.
:goodvibes

The digital ticket in your mobile AP MDE works too! : )

Call back. They should be able to give you a quote with the AP discount to help you decide if you even want to purchase an AP. Note that AP discounts vary by resort and dates and are not available on all dates and resorts. Especially for 2020, I’ve seen many dates very similar to the general public rates. So, make sure that buying an AP makes sense financially, given the most recent AP price increase.

100% untrue. You will be an AP member from the minute you purchase and link (until that AP expires). I assume something is in place so that can't be abused, but in the short run I can verify this is the case. You can link to MDE without activating. And you will then be able to see the AP specials when booking a resort even before you have activated. I did this myself in 2018.

I am curious what's to prevent a person from purchasing a single AP and not activating for the sole purpose of discounts, but I assume they catch it in time.

I bought in May 2018 and linked. Used the discount in September 2018. And activated in November 2018.
The terms and conditions you agreed to when you did your AP booking indicate that a valid AP is required at check-in. A voucher isn’t a valid AP.

The terms and conditions you agreed to when you did your AP booking indicate that a valid AP is required at check-in. A voucher isn’t a valid AP.

Right, that makes sense.

I guess it depends on the CM. As most are happy with the digital AP ticket and your DL.

The CM is wrong. I bought an AP from Sam's Club in July, linked it to my MDE. I can't see AP rates o kine, but I have called and made three different reservations with AP discounts.
To paraphrase a more experienced DIS-er, anyone can book an AP rate, but you can't stay at a hotel using an AP rate until and unless you can show your AP before you check out. Otherwise, they charge you more (rack rate, I believe).
I'm going to activate my voucher the day I arrive at WDW. But meanwhile, I've booked resorts AND a DAH with AP discounts. Just get it linked in MDE.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!