New to cruise: 8 pm dinner???!!!!

Hi, I've never been on a cruise before and we're going to go on the Dream 4 day cruise to Bahamas Feb 12, 2018. I suspect we'll get the 8 pm dinner slot as I haven't booked the cruise yet. My kids normally go to bed at 7:30 and are asleep by 8:00. How do people handle this super late eating time with kids? My boys will be 5 and 6. We normally eat at 5:00. Also, on a cruise ship geared towards kids, is there a reason the dining times are so late? Is the 8:00 dinner filled with cranky, tired kids? If my kids were in the room is it possible for one of us to watch the kids while the others eat and then have someone who ate quickly come relieve the person who stayed with the kids so that that person could go eat in the dining room? I hate the thought of anyone missing dining in the restaurants.

Also, unrelated, what time do you actually end up getting off the ship at the end. It says 7:30 am. Would I be okay booking a 1:00 pm flight out of Orlando airport?

Thanks for any help!
How old are your kids? It's vacation so that means sleeping in and being on vacation which allows for you to stay up later also

I could never eat at 5:45. When I was in the normal-hours corporate working world I didn't even get *home* until 6, and the last thing I wanted to do was sit down to a meal immediately. Late seating really isn't that late, especially if you like to sleep in in the mornings. On later port days you would have to get back before final embarkation, so you cut out some of the options for excursions as well or you have to rush to get everybody showered and dressed for dinner. Most kids I see at late dining are so hyped up they don't fall asleep, though you definitely don't see as many children at the second seating anyway.

The interesting thing is that almost everyone that says that it's too late to eat will get popcorn and snacks for the show after dinner and still be up that late anyway and still full because they ate even more food during the show. Plus, so many people that say they can't or won't eat that late have no problem going to the pirate night buffet at nearly midnight and eating a whole bunch more. I know there are many that don't eat the pirate buffet, many that don't snack after dinner. But let's face it, the majority of people are still snacking after dinner so eating a meal at 5:45pm is no different than eating at 8:00pm on a cruise.

With 8 DCL cruises, 3 without kids, we always ask for early or main seating for dinner...force of habit, I guess. It is similar to the routine we have at home. With kids and grandkids (7, 11 & 13) they find the early seating followed by the show works best. Even with our Med. cruise last Sept. we made the early seating...up the gangplank and almost straight to dinner, but we made it. We have closed down the early seating many times and feel guilty for making our servers have to work extra fast getting ready for the next shift. They never rush us or seem to mind. Maybe below deck they curse those snails at table 51. For us, eating at 8 pm is just too late. Now, pirate night is a whole different story...I blame the mouse for my phobia with this late-night event.

The interesting thing is that almost everyone that says that it's too late to eat will get popcorn and snacks for the show after dinner and still be up that late anyway and still full because they ate even more food during the show. Plus, so many people that say they can't or won't eat that late have no problem going to the pirate night buffet at nearly midnight and eating a whole bunch more. I know there are many that don't eat the pirate buffet, many that don't snack after dinner. But let's face it, the majority of people are still snacking after dinner so eating a meal at 5:45pm is no different than eating at 8:00pm on a cruise.

Maybe most do that. We have never even seen the pirate buffet. No popcorn or snacks at the show either. About the only thing we have after dinner is a few apps at the buffet outside the nightclubs. And half the time we don't even do that. A few cheese and crackers and veggies with dip are nothing like a 4 course dinner 2 hours before bed. A couple times I have ordered cookies and milk from room service before bed. Still doesn't compare to a full meal an hour or two before bed. But that is what is so great, everyone has different reasons for Main or second seating. That keeps the services more balanced.

We have never even seen the pirate buffet. No popcorn or snacks at the show either

Same!

Big, huge nope!

I've been on 3 cruises, have had early dining each time. Every show, about 90% of the audience had popcorn, food from cabanas, candy, soda, etc. So maybe you don't get food after, but the majority of people do. It takes hours to digest food. To digest a 4 course meal, it's a good 6-8 hours. So eating snacks after dinner is basically like topping off a tank of gas. It's no different than eating 2 hours later for the late dining. So "big, huge nope" for you, sure. But for the 90% of people I have seen all 3 cruises, big huge yup.

I've been on 3 cruises, have had early dining each time. Every show, about 90% of the audience had popcorn, food from cabanas, candy, soda, etc. So maybe you don't get food after, but the majority of people do. It takes hours to digest food. To digest a 4 course meal, it's a good 6-8 hours. So eating snacks after dinner is basically like topping off a tank of gas. It's no different than eating 2 hours later for the late dining. So "big, huge nope" for you, sure. But for the 90% of people I have seen all 3 cruises, big huge yup.

And likewise the Pirate Night Feeding Frenzy. Sure there are some people who skip it, but there are many, many more reacting as if they have been kept chained up below deck and given no food for the entire cruise. Pushing, shoving, grabbing... I walked through once out of curiosity and honestly I think I would have felt safer in open water during a shark feeding. Many, many people go absolutely bonkers for that food.

The difference with the popcorn is that it's not a 4 course meal. And you can eat a few handfuls and share with the family. So maybe it's 'topping off the gas tank', but it's not a 4 course meal topping off the snacks eaten before to stave off hunger or just because they are there.

The difference with the popcorn is that it's not a 4 course meal. And you can eat a few handfuls and share with the family. So maybe it's 'topping off the gas tank', but it's not a 4 course meal topping off the snacks eaten before to stave off hunger or just because they are there.

The Pirate Feeding Frenzy is WAY more than "a few snacks", though.

lol; This is what I was going to say. Finishing eating at around 7 then maybe a few ounces of popcorn. Yeah, not even close to eating 4 courses, finishing around 9 or whenever then going to bed at 10ish.

It seems like most people responding don't have little kids. I have a 3 year old and 1 year old (will be 4 and 1.5 when we take our cruise next year) and I have the same concerns about dinner. My kids are used to eating by 6/6:30 and in bed by 7:30. It's great to say vacation is about staying up late and sleeping late, but when you have kids that get up by 7 no matter what time they go to sleep, staying up late isn't all that appealing. Neither is screaming, overtired kids who are 2 hours past their bed time. Yes, while we're on vacation things tend to slide a little later, but starting a 2 hour dinner after their bedtime just seems like a recipe for disaster.

Right now we've been assigned late dining and we're on the wait list for the earlier dinner time. I hope that it gets changed by the time of the cruise.

Well I have been on 8 DCL cruises and I guess I don't get too caught up into to what others are doing. So I haven't noticed EVERYONE eating during the show. I usually sip a beverage and am sometimes too full for even that. We eat main seating 5:45pm (done around 7) and go to bed between midnight and 1:00. So by your estimates I have pretty much digested my food. Maybe we are not the norm, but I could care less. All I know that eating late seating was a disaster for my digestion and I paid for it with less sleep and not feeling good the next day. I am just saying how it is for us. I am in no way saying how it is for the other "90%." Glad that some people are so adamant about eating second seating. Leaves more room for main seating.

Last edited:
Well I have been on 8 DCL cruises and I guess I don't get too caught up into to what others are doing. So I haven't noticed EVERYONE eating during the show. I usually sip a beverage and am sometimes too full for even that. We eat main seating 5:45pm (done around 7) and go to bed between midnight and 1:00. So by your estimates I have pretty much digested my food. Maybe we are not the norm, but I could care less. All I know that eating late seating was a disaster for my digestion and I paid for it with less sleep and not feeling good the next day. I am just saying how it is for us. I am in no way saying how it is for the other "90%." Glad that some people are so adamant about eating second seating. Leaves more room for main seating.

Couldn't have said it better myself! Never could understand people who counter your opinion with their "facts". Lol

My point was that the majority of people that say they don't want late dining because there is no way they can eat that late, have no problem eating a buffet at midnight and eating a bunch of snacks at the same time that late dining is. Never said this was a bad thing nor stated that it was "facts". I never said everyone was eating during the show, I said about 90% of people were. I don't get caught up in what others are doing. It's an observation while sitting there for 20 minutes waiting for the show to start. Never judged anyone or got caught up in it. Just stating that for the majority of people, 2 hours doesn't make a difference in dining between early and late if they are going to be snacking anyway. I have seen many people cry that their vacation will be ruined because of late dining when that's hardly the case. In the long run, the cruise is a few days, at most 14. Eating late dining isn't going to ruin a cruise.
The snarky "people who counter your opinion with their facts" comment was uncalled for as the whole point was to say that for most people late dining isn't an issue and not to stress over it, and I gave examples as to WHY someone shouldn't stress over it. Curious as to why some feel the need to get defensive over my observations. Calm down.

Last edited:
It seems like most people responding don't have little kids. I have a 3 year old and 1 year old (will be 4 and 1.5 when we take our cruise next year) and I have the same concerns about dinner. My kids are used to eating by 6/6:30 and in bed by 7:30. It's great to say vacation is about staying up late and sleeping late, but when you have kids that get up by 7 no matter what time they go to sleep, staying up late isn't all that appealing. Neither is screaming, overtired kids who are 2 hours past their bed time. Yes, while we're on vacation things tend to slide a little later, but starting a 2 hour dinner after their bedtime just seems like a recipe for disaster.

Right now we've been assigned late dining and we're on the wait list for the earlier dinner time. I hope that it gets changed by the time of the cruise.

We did late starting when ours was 2 (and then 3,4,6, and 8) and will be doing it again with a one year old. Every time we're seated with others that have small children so it I really common (although less than early). It really isnt a 2 hour dinner either, but I hope you get your choice time. Either way I wouldn't stress too much.

I must be the only one who likes the late dining and requested it on every cruise so far. Yes, our dd5 fell asleep the first night as well, she was tired and there is a 2 hrs difference from where we live to florida time. She actually adjusted quite quickly though and we had her take a nap around 3pm and then fed her a snack and after the 2nd night she was just fine with late dining. I find it less noisy, less chaos and yes, the wait staff are awesome and will be so kind to cover the kids with a napkin or small table cloth. Now our upcoming Med cruise I'm a little worried about because late dining is at 8:45pm but we will also be out for long days at port and hoping for a quick nap before dinner. If you are really wanting early dining, just be put on the waitlist and here's hoping you get some pixie dust.

Not the only one! We love second seating. Our first few cruises we had early and that was fine too, but I felt rushed to get back to the ship and make it to dinner on time. Plus, we eat differently on vacation than we do at home. So, we would have breakfast at 8:30 or so, wouldn't really have lunch, and by the time 3 PM rolled around we were really hungry, we would grab a snack and then not want to have dinner. :)
Late dining is preferred by us for many reasons including
1. our kids are teens now
2. I am not an early riser on vacation and if I am up early I am cranky until my first Diet Coke of the day.
3. We can pace meals much better having the late dining time. Breakfast is still 8:30 to 9:00 but now if we have something at 2 or 3 we are hungry by dinnertime. And we don't tend to overeat either by snacking at 11 or midnight like we did during early dining times.
4. Did I mention I have 2 teens and that I am not a morning person? That breakfast at 6:45 AM on debarkation morning was not a happy way to end our cruise...8:15 is about 4 hours before I like to be awake on vacation, but it is much easier. lol

Best of luck, hope you get the change! pixiedust: sending pixie dust

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter