New to ECVs

skiwee1

DIS Veteran
I have been traveling to WDW with my mom twice a year for the last 3 years. She has painful knees and bad feet problems. Within the last year she has become noticeably slower. I mean s-l-o-w. Her ankles swell up and in the morning she has a hard time getting out of bed. I have talked her into getting an ECV for this upcoming trip. She has never used one but I think this will make a world of difference for her. Now to my questions. My mom cannot stand long at all so the ECV should be great. When we approach a ride, say PoTC, where does she go? She can walk to the boats with no problem but she can't wait in a line standing. Would she drive her ECV through the line? Or would she go somewhere else and sit while I stand in line for the ride and then meet up with us. I am so new to this. I do not want to get ahead of lines. I just don't want my mom to be miserable every day of the trip. My mom can wait all day as long as she is sitting. Whether it is on a bench or the ECV that isn't the problem. She would be able to transfer over to the rides too. It is the standing and waiting that gets her. Sitting and waiting isn't a problem. I think the best thing this will do for her is give her a seat at the parades. We won't use the special area but DD and I can sit on the curb, which my mom can't do, and she can sit on the ECV behind us. So do we just approach the line like normal and have the CM tell us what to do? Pleas enlighten me. TIA

One many rides she will be able to take the ECV with her. On some she will need to transfer to a manual wheelchair and have you push her through the line. Depends on the ride. Some you will go through the regular or fast pass line but on others you will go through the exit. Get a handbook for guests with disabilities which will give you all the information needed.

Also rent from offsite. There are no guarantees that an ECV will be available at the park or if you park hop at the second park.

Thanks TH. Now when you say she can take the ecv on some rides. Is there a place for her to park it once she gets on the ride. I mean like the Pooh ride. She can easily get out of the ECV and get on the ride. She can do that for It's a Small World and all the other attractions. I know she would prefer to do that too instead of taking up an ECV loading ride. So is there an option of not taking it on the ride. My biggest concern is her standing in line. I can easily do the standing and let her come in when it's time but I don't see that as possible. Would a manual wheelchair be used in the que? Does the CM make the call when we get to the que? We plan on renting outside the parks as we hang at the Poly pool in the am and felt there wouldn't be any ECVs there by the time we got there. Where are these handbooks at too? Thanks!

Some attractions, such as IASW and Haunted Mansion, you have to use the exit side. Others, such as Journey into Imagination, you can park the ECV (be sure to take the key) in the loading area and the CM will put it into "freewheel" and push it to a pickup location very close to the exit.

Pirates is unique in that you must transfer to their wheelchair.

There is a Guidebook for Guests With Disabilities available online. SueM (the moderator) will probably be able to provide the link. Also, if there is enough time you could call WDW Guest Services to have them sent to you.

Also, I would suggest you go to a local large grocery store or Wal-mart or something similar. They have "oversize" ECVs (with shopping baskets) available for use in the store. She can practice with oe. Be aware that the rentals are smaller, much more maneuverable, and can go much faster (up to 4.5MPH) than the ones in the stores.

Pirates of the Carribbean is another ride where you have to park the ECV and use a provided wheelchair. There is no way for them to move an ECV from the load area to the exit. They will take the wheelchair, fold it, and place it in the boat behind you.

On Haunted Mansion you have two choices. You can enter through the service hallway and see the "stretching room show" and have the short line in the doombuggy load area. That can sometimes be quick or sometimes it takes a while. There is also an option of taking you directly to the doombuggy load area.

Splash Mountain you go through part of the regular line in the ECV, then it branches off to a seperate line at the exit.

If the attraction has FastPass, and it is busy in the parks that day, the CMs really appreciate it if you get a FastPass and return at the appointed time. They will then direct you to the appropriate entrance point.

Ellen's Energy Adventure you have to park the ECV and take a standard wheelchair. The wheelchair can then be loaded directly on the ride vehicle. Alternatively, if you don't want to take up a wheelchair space, then make sure you are one of the first to enter the preshow after they open the doors. Then there will be benches available around the edge of the room where she can sit, then a short walk to the ride vehicle.

Test Track, you can ride the ECV through the entire line. Regardless of whether you are on standby, fastpass, or single rider, they will load you in room A and move your ECV to the exit for you.

Most shows you just ride through the line and then go to the special access entrance. You can almost always just park the ECV at the back of the theater and transfer to a regular seat. There are also empty slots to park the ECV.

Don't know the rules for Rock n Roller Coaster, Tower of Terror, or Space Mountain cause hubby won't ride those.

Spaceship Earth. If there is no visible line, it is a VERY short walk from the entrance to the ride vehicles. If there is a line then go in through the exit and the CM there will assist you.

For Jungle Cruise, there is a separate accessible line.

For El Rio del Tiempo in the Mexico Pavillion, hubby usually just parks the ECV somewhere in the pavillion and walks to the ride. Usually no line whatsoever.

Kilimanjaro Safari. Ride the ECV through the line, then branch off to a separate entrance. Place to park the ECV then board the vehicle.

Dinosaur, ride the ECV through the line, then branch off to an elevator where you load onto the vehichle. Your ECV is delivered to the exit.

Great Movie Ride. Ride the ECV through the line, then branch off to a separate entrance where there is a place to park the ECV right where you load and unload.

That's all I can remember off the top of my head. I hope this helps you.

Carol

It should address your questions. Basically, it's best to rent offsite. When you leave the ECV, take the key with you and it will be fine. The Guide for Guests with Disabilities will tell you if there is any special info you need to know to enter attractions. Post if you have any other questions!

:wave: Cupcake

Also, don't shy away from using the designated parade viewing areas. They will have her park her ECV close to the curb with enough room for you and DD to sit in front of her. This should ensure that no one will stand in front of her during a parade or Illuminations. They had someone on duty at the areas I used and made sure no one stood up in front so all could see.:wave:

After pushing my mom in a wheelchair on our last trip, I am considering renting an ECV for our early December trip. I am nervous, however, about her using one since this would be her first time. We are also going to the MVMCP at MK, and I am concerned about crowds and her unintentionally "running over" someone. She is able to walk (like in her house, a while at the grocery, etc.), she is just *very* unbalanced and tends to fall, so I know that lots of walking (like we all do at WDW) will be impossible for her. Thanks for any advice.

A few considerations.

1. Have her practice in a large grocery store or a WalMart or similar store. They have ECVs that can be borrowed for shopping. Be aware, however, that the rrentals (both Disney and Off-site) do not have that giant-size basket in front and are much more maneuverable.

2. You are better off renting from off-site. That way she will have it available at all time; some of the hotel corridors are very long. Also, the off-site three-wheelers are better than Disney's.

3. Schedule Epcot for your first park. The streets are much wider than the other parks and there is not a much crowding; it is a good place for a learner to get comfortable with an ECV.

If you go to the FAQ at the top of this board, you will find lots of information about renting ecvs and wheelchairs. There is also a section of links in the FAQs, including links to the official Disney website's disability information, including this link to information about touring with mobility disabilities. It includes a list of which rides/attractions are fully accessible by wheelchair or ecv, which ecv users have to transfer to a wheelchair and which you need to transfer to a ride car.
The FAQs also includes a link to a thread about boarding rides with people who are unsteady/need extra time to board.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter