New to EZpass. Question for those with experience.

taximomfor4

<font color=purple>Needs a few Ricola drops<br><fo
I know this is probably a really stupid question, but I JUST got a transponder/account with EZpass. I have the standard starting balance, but am taking a very, very rare long car trip through several EZpass states on a friday, returning 2 days later on a Sunday. Not sure if that starting balance will be enough for all the tolls...probably one way, probably not round trip. Will the automatic replenishment go through on a weekend, in time for the drive home? Or should I add funds before leaving?

Also, it says something about automatically increasing your account by the 90-day average once it falls to the "low threshold." Does that happen immediately? If so, there'd be enough money again on Sunday. And since this is a rare trip, is there a way to NOT have the 90-day average used? It might be a year or 2 before I use that much $ again on a trip.

I know, stupid questions. I just went over the FAQ for Ohio, and none of that is clear. It's a lot to take in.

I am not sure if they replenish on the weekends but I would think so. :confused3Because I am a nervous nelly, I would probably add funds before we went.

We used ours much more often than we do now and the did eventually reduce the amount they take at each replenishment. They did it automatically over time. They add $25 when our account goes below $10 ... it usually works out to one addition about every 3 months unless we take a big trip.

hi Taximom,

we use Fast Lane / EZ pass, we live in Connecticut and we drive to Boston (Fast Lane) to pick up and drop off our son who goes to college there. We also go to the Jersey shore every summer (this is EZ pass). Only once have I ever called to add funds when we were going to the shore, because I knew we had less than $10. But I've found that when your balance goes below $10, it will automatically charge your account back up to the $20. You'll get a yellow flashing light when you go thru that says low balance when that happens, but it automatically will charge your account. You must have a credit card on file in order to do this.

I'd say we use it once every summer, then in September to drop off son, at Christmas break to pick him up, and bring him back, and then spring time again. Even though we don't travel frequently, this is such a timesaver. I'm sorry we didn't do it years ago, even for just our trips to the shore once a year.

Hi there,

In MA it's called "fast lane" but it is the same thing. They have my checking account number. When my account falls to $10 they automatically take more out of my checking account to bring it back up to the $20 balance. They do this the day the account falls to $10; regardless if it is a weekend or weekday. We usually just drive to PA or NJ. However, one time we drove to TN. Because I had made 1 trip to PA, 1 trip to NJ and 1 trip to TN they bumped my account to $50 and took "extra" money out of my checking. If I wanted, I could have requested them to send me a check for $30. I just kept it in there as the funds don't expire. If you have your account set to automatically deduct, they will deduct money when your account gets to the low limit threshold. I really love it...that way I'm not scrounging around for change.

I know this is probably a really stupid question, but I JUST got a transponder/account with EZpass. I have the standard starting balance, but am taking a very, very rare long car trip through several EZpass states on a friday, returning 2 days later on a Sunday. Not sure if that starting balance will be enough for all the tolls...probably one way, probably not round trip. Will the automatic replenishment go through on a weekend, in time for the drive home? Or should I add funds before leaving?

Also, it says something about automatically increasing your account by the 90-day average once it falls to the "low threshold." Does that happen immediately? If so, there'd be enough money again on Sunday. And since this is a rare trip, is there a way to NOT have the 90-day average used? It might be a year or 2 before I use that much $ again on a trip.

I know, stupid questions. I just went over the FAQ for Ohio, and none of that is clear. It's a lot to take in.

There will be enough money - they'll debit your EZpass account and remove your pre-arranged amount from checking and it'll work. You'll be fine.

With Illinois' iPass, we just have $40 set as our withdrawal amount -- whenever the balance runs out, $40 is withdrawn from our checking account and it's credited to our iPass account.

There will be enough money - they'll debit your EZpass account and remove your pre-arranged amount from checking and it'll work. You'll be fine.

With Illinois' iPass, we just have $40 set as our withdrawal amount -- whenever the balance runs out, $40 is withdrawn from our checking account and it's credited to our iPass account.

Does it take effect instantly? So like by the time you reach the next toll plaza or whatever, on a long drive?

I am excited to not have to stock tons of singles and change for the drive. Just installed the transponder into my van. It's odd, the place they want me to put it is a black-dotted area, that shades the space between my visors. Must work fine, anyway, or they wouldn't say to put it there, right?:)

Does it take effect instantly? So like by the time you reach the next toll plaza or whatever, on a long drive?

I am excited to not have to stock tons of singles and change for the drive. Just installed the transponder into my van. It's odd, the place they want me to put it is a black-dotted area, that shades the space between my visors. Must work fine, anyway, or they wouldn't say to put it there, right?:)

It does take effect instantly. Like a PP stated, you might receive a yellow light at a toll letting you know you are low on funds but they will be credited in the time you need them to. I have never had a problem. I put my transponder just below the black dotted area. I have also read that sometimes they even work in your glove compartment so I would think they would be just find there. Have fun!

Yup, it will take effect right away. You won't be stuck at the toll plaza--they know they can get your money from ya! :yay:

When you put the transponder on the windshield, the rearview mirror should actually block it from your sightline. I've had to put mine in a few times because of cracked windshields.

I use my EZPass every day on my commute up the Garden State Parkway and back home. I also use it when I go to New Hampshire. I have my account set to $40 per month on my credit card. If I go over that amount, they automatically add more funds to my account. It's very convenient because Newark Airport parking lots take EZPass too. You just drive right out.

Attaching a credit card to the account is the best way (or checking) as you never have to worry about having a zero balance.

One thing that they are finally cracking down on in Florida, are the toll runners. Especially coming from the Orlando Airport. People get in the SunPass line "by accident" and claim they didn't know any better. :rolleyes1
Now, they pull that stunt and get a little $100 fine letter in the mail. :woohoo:

Attaching a credit card to the account is the best way (or checking) as you never have to worry about having a zero balance.

One thing that they are finally cracking down on in Florida, are the toll runners. Especially coming from the Orlando Airport. People get in the SunPass line "by accident" and claim they didn't know any better. :rolleyes1
Now, they pull that stunt and get a little $100 fine letter in the mail. :woohoo:

Good, I'm glad they get a fine. I know someone that never pays tolls here in NJ. He drives through the EZPass lanes and two times he was sent a fine and all he did was mailed in the amount of the toll, but not the actual fine and they never went after him. I hate people that think they are too good to follow rules :mad:

I've gotten fines in the mail even though I have EZPass. Sometimes it doesn't read right and they mail the fine along with a nice picture of the back of your car with the license plate. They've always been good about fixing them though.

Good, I'm glad they get a fine. I know someone that never pays tolls here in NJ. He drives through the EZPass lanes and two times he was sent a fine and all he did was mailed in the amount of the toll, but not the actual fine and they never went after him. I hate people that think they are too good to follow rules :mad:

I've gotten fines in the mail even though I have EZPass. Sometimes it doesn't read right and they mail the fine along with a nice picture of the back of your car with the license plate. They've always been good about fixing them though.

Most of the people are so obvious. They will start out in the lane that is marked cash, see the Sun Pass line, act all confused as they move over to it, slow down in the lane to a crawl almost causing a wreck, and then shrug their shoulders when they get a bunch of dirty looks. Incredible. :mad:

I would feel better about them doing that if they allowed you to self-report blown tolls that are truly accidents, like Illinois does. There you have 7(?) days to self-report on their web site and you only have to pay the amount of the toll. Last summer our son accidentally blew a toll in Orlando in our car and I tried to pay it on-line, like Illinois, but found you have to wait for the state to mail you a notice first with a "document number". Nothing ever came, so I have no idea what might happen if I ever get "pulled over" by a cop now in Florida.

Does he have EXPass? We've had it forever (NJ, lots of tolls), but we went through a period of vehicle switching/credit card expiration, and after paying a lot of fines, learned that if you have an account, and get a fine, you only have to pay for the toll, the fine is waived.

OP, the system works well, they will easily take your money!

This might be a seven year old thread, but when I had an EZ pass question and searched online, the DISboards was the first source to pop up!

I have a question about the automatic reload option. Is it possible to disconnect from auto-reload, or is it a pain in the butt to get them to do this? ALSO...If I don't have auto-reload, how do I know if my account is running low? I suppose I can check it before leaving on a trip and then daily, but that seems to be annoying. What happens if I go through a toll with ezpass and there isn't enough $$ in my account? Will they cover it and bill me (and is there a fine), or will I get the flashing red light and bells-and-whistles treatment at the toll booth? Maine's ezpass page doesn't answer these questions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter