New to RC - lots of questions

everylastbreath

DIS Veteran
Hi All - Been cruising but never with RC, going on Harmony of the Sea in August and have lots of questions:
booking 2 Jr. Suites - do they come with any perks?
How does the Alcohol/Soda/Dining/gratuities packages work? and how much are they?
Any tips?? Boat seems HUGE, we've been on Breakaway (Norwegian) but this boat seems much bigger.
Breakaway was extremely casual, do we need dressy clothing for Harmony?

ANY Advice is welcome! Thank you all.

Have been on Allure and have Symphony booked. Love the Oasis class.

I think you have Coastal Kitchen access for a JR. Hopefully someone here can confirm.

Book the Aqua show for early in the week. They sometimes cancel it and then at least you have a chance to catch it again. Not to be missed!

Also book the comedy show. It's a small venue.
We booked all shows, but not sure if others are as important for pre-booking.

You should be able to sign into your cruise planner and see the price for the different packages.

Park Cafe is great for lunch. We also really enjoyed Solarium Bistro for breakfast.

There are 2 formal nights, but you'll see everything from formal to more casual dress. We went in the middle. There are also specialty restaurants (for a fee)...think those are smart casual. Otherwise, just no shorts and tank tops in MDR.

So much to see and do...Central Park, Boardwalk are unique to Oasis class. Be sure to explore. Zipline, Flowriders, Mini Golf, various pools, ice skating, etc etc etc.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Hey, everylastbreath,

I have cruised with Royal Carribean on four different occasions, even on the sister ship of Harmony of the seas; Allure of the Seas. Yes, it is a very large ship and can be daunting for some but it is truly an immersive and excellent experience. I have stayed in two jr. suites, one on the Adventure of the seas and the Freedom of the seas. One perk that is really awesome is the amount of room you are going to have in your stateroom. You will have a walk-in closet which doubles as a changing area. Another perk is boarding is super fast for those who are staying in suites. Please keep an eye out when arriving at the ship for the first time for "suite" lines. These are very quick and will get you on the ship quicker. Also, you will receive double the points for the "crown and anchor" society which is RC's customer loyalty program. If your cruise is 7 night you will receive 14 points.

Royal Carribean has a Deluxe beverage package which costs $55 per person, per day. This includes unlimited alcohol and soda.
Royal Carribean also has a refreshment package which costs $26 per person, per day. This includes soda and all non-alcoholic drinks.
The soda package can be purchased before and when you get on the ship. If purchased before your cruise you will receive the cup in your stateroom.

I have cruised on both Royal Carribean and Norwegian and I can state truthfully people on both ships dress very similarly. Now if you were going on Disney Cruise line I would tell you to bring dressy clothes as I have been on those ships 3 times and people dress very fancy.

Hope you enjoy your trip very much.

Email: cruisepinfun@gmail.com
Facebook: Walt's planner
Instagram: walts_planner

Deluxe Beverage package also includes specialty coffees, non-alcoholic drinks, bottled water, bottled sparkling water. There is an added gratuity of 18% to the package price. Price varies by cruise. The current price for my November Allure cruise is $48 per day plus gratuity, so $56.64 per day. This is 20% off the price to purchase onboard.

One more question- we are flying into Ft Lau the night before the cruise- How far is the airport and what is the best hotel to book that is close to the dock to board the next day?!

One more question- we are flying into Ft Lau the night before the cruise- How far is the airport and what is the best hotel to book that is close to the dock to board the next day?!
Airport is about a 5-10 minute cab ride away from Port Everglades. Don't know what your flight time is, but chances are you'll make it with time to spare. If you get an internet package, check in online to get that out of the way.

My current favourite is Hyatt Place 17th Street. You can go to valuetrips and get a room for relatively cheap. Only thing is that it may take a couple of weeks for them to get back to you with a confirmation. There are other hotels in the immediate area as well. The good thing here is that there are several restaurants within walking distance, plus a Publix, TJ Maxx and Total Wine in case you've forgotten something (or want to bring some wine aboard).

How does the Alcohol/Soda/Dining/gratuities packages work? and how much are they?
So others have noted the prices. Another thing to note is that if you purchase the ultimate drinking package, ALL people of drinking age in your room need to purchase the drinking package. With that said, people have reported some success in getting exemptions by calling Royal Caribbean and giving a reason such as "my spouse doesn't drink" or similar. Cruise Planner usually advertises a BOGO (I think I got the % wrong) deal on the drink package.

Unadvertised deals are a prepaid draft beer card and a prepaid drink card. These may or may not be offered on the cruise and usually appear around Day 3/4. The card is pretty much what you think it is - pre-pay for 10 drinks and get a discount off the list price. I didn't see the beer card last time around, but the drink card was $89 and good for any drink up to $13.

As a suite guest you will get charged $17.50 per person per day in automatic gratuities. You can go to guest services and get that changed if you want. I find the non-suite rate to be fair and usually top it up at the end of the trip. But YMMV.

Breakaway was extremely casual, do we need dressy clothing for Harmony?
This is always a point of contention but imo it's your cruise, so wear what you want. FWIW I personally don't mind dressing up for dinners, so that's what I do.

ANY Advice is welcome! Thank you all.
My big one is to try the various free venues for meals. Lots of people go up to the WindJammer buffet for breakfast and lunch... and on a ship of 5-6000 people it gets really crowded during peak times. For breakfast, you can go to the MDR, Mini-Bites, Park Cafe and Johnny Rockets. Lunch is the same minus Johnny Rockets.

If you're going to Labadee and just hanging out at the beach, take the (free) water taxi over to Columbus Cove. It's a nicer beach and less people go there.

Last edited:
Going on Harmony in November, can't wait.

With RCI started on Freedom of Seas, bumped to Oasis of Seas and now Harmony. LOVED LOVED the size of Oasis. Never felt crowded, never had problems with lounges and chairs, plenty of dining options. So much to do it's hard to do it all. We do pre-book shows.

We do the MDR every night as we enjoy the slight dressing up, the consistent servers who get to know you and the whole experience. We dressed even more for one formal night and we did a Specialty dining one formal night (we had credits for it).

We have Ultimate Beverage Package upcoming trip, got it on sale 25% off. Great thing is it is good on Labadee the RCI beach spot.

RE: Labadee, they have made lots of changes over the years and especially after last hurricane. First time we were on Adrenaline Beach, last trip Columbus Cove. Loved the Cove. BUT in the changes they added bungalows that are roped off so the beach in front of them is only for bungalow users. Our spot was among this and we didn't want to be crowded on the amount of beach left, so ........... on a sale day we bought 2 bungalows. I don't care about any other excursions but this. Our last trip we went out as soon as they would let us, so we got lounges along the water and no one blocking our view. Over next couple hours it filled up.

e85bd9b786143f03f59f27d2c8b5b03c.jpg

T1113LABADEE12_TS.jpg

Thanks for the Columbus Cove Bungalow pics @HopperFan!
We have one booked on our Harmony cruise in October. Fairly reasonably priced too, especially compared to the DCL Caraway Day bungalows!

With JS you will get priority ebarkation in the suites line. You will be able to make reservations to eat in Coastal Kitchen for dinner only. You will have a coffe maker in your room. Also have a tub and shower combo in bathroom. Daily gratuities is the standard $14.50 a day per passenger, you do not pay the $17.50 gratuity rate that full suite gets charged . The jr suites do not give you full suite benefits from the sky and star class.

Harmony is currently the largest cruise ship in the world, until her sister Symphony shows up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter